770 users online (97 members and 673 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Workplace Violence-Your experience and thoughts

I've seen some really good discussions this afternoon about workplace violence. Many are sharing their own experiences or cases they have knowledge of. I thought it would be good to have all that in one place. Maybe this thread can teach us how to recognize and prevent workplace violence from happening.

Thank you Suzi. I have a question for anyone that may be in the know: If someone is being sexually harassed at work, and it ends up in something violent, possibly even deadly, could that be classified as "workplace violence"? Or would it be a simple case of "sexual harassment"?

I'll tell what I've gone through in the workplace. By the nature of my job, everyone's mistakes land on my desk. I have to resolve them or the customer will not pay his bill. We are talking about big customers with accounts into the millions. People do not like having their mistakes pointed out to them, no matter how nice you are. I also am in the position of seeing any financial criminal activity on the part of employees. I've had my car vandalized, been screamed at, threatened and stalked. At one place it was so bad I would never drink out of my coffee cup if I had to leave it unattended.

ETA: most of my employers had the attitude that I should grow thicker skin.
    Last edited by SuziQ; 09-17-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: missed a word

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey*Girl View Post
    Thank you Suzi. I have a question for anyone that may be in the know: If someone is being sexually harassed at work, and it ends up in something violent, possibly even deadly, could that be classified as "workplace violence"? Or would it be a simple case of "sexual harassment"?
    IMO, if any harassment turns violent it would be considered violence.

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    thank you for this thread!!!! We have a workplace violence "policy" at the large medical center I work at. We have to read and sign it once a year (at anual renewal) along with the sexual harrassment policy and all the other anual renewal stuff.

I can certainly say that the boundaries could be blurred between the two... Sometimes it could be both at the same time.

I got "work place violenced" by the mailman once! We lived on post in virginia and it was raining out so I clipped my outgoing mail to the underneath side of the mailbox so that it wouldn't get wet... they were bills I was sending in. Around one pm the doorbell rang and I answered the door with my one year old on my hip... there stood the mailman! He was bright red and screaming at me... that it was against mail policy to clip the mail to the lid like this and did I know how wrong of a thing I had just done! He than tells me I am dam lucky that he will even take my mail this time... I stood there with my mouth open... (I am usually a fiesty one! But I was in shock!) When he was about seven or so steps up my walk I slammed that front door so hard it shook the frame of the house! I than sat down and decided that this is what "going postal" must start out like and called the post office to report it.

In this case I have often thought that it went down in this sort of a fashion... that RC got mad about something minor.....something little but that HE was in control of.... and he went into a blind rage....

Sorry for so long of a post (I actually posted my theory in the ray thread, I believe... or could have been motive... it also had the swiping article in it.. how he moved thru the basement)

ETA: I often think about what could have happened to me and my little man that day if I were to have said, "eff off" or something of that nature... It makes me wonder if that is what happened to Annie...

Violence in the workplace is a serious safety and health issue. Its most extreme form, homicide, is the fourth-leading cause of fatal occupational injury in the United States
    http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/workplaceviolence/

this has the OSHA standards.. very interesting... you know for all the times I have signed the damm paper at work I never really paid it all that much mind...

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post

this has the OSHA standards.. very interesting... you know for all the times I have signed the damm paper at work I never really paid it all that much mind...
    That's a scary statistic!

I was taken at gunpoint in my place of employment. It was not by a co-worker, but rather by intruders trying to steal microchips from another office in the building that worked behind locked doors.
    So, the lesson I learned was if anyone in your office building has to lock their doors, beware!

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post

The vast majority of those are workers getting killed during robberies at convenience stores or banks, that type of thing. Cab drivers too.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I was taken at gunpoint in my place of employment. It was not by a co-worker, but rather by intruders trying to steal microchips from another office in the building that worked behind locked doors.
    So, the lesson I learned was if anyone in your office building has to lock their doors, beware!
    I take that to heart. Although I work for a reputable company the area we are located has gotten worse through the years. As of 3 months ago we are now locking the front door to our building (not the main building) because of so many stolen car busts happening at gunpoint literally in front of our building. Maybe time to look for a safer area IMO.

This is an important discussion. But, I also find it very sad that Annie Le was killed because of workplace violence.

My employer has a no workplace violence policy. We had an employee who made a threat against her supervisor. She said she was going to bring a gun to work. She was discharged but she got her job back 8 mos later right back in the office she formerly worked at.

I am always kind of nervous about some coworkers. Because you don't really know who you're working with. You don't really know what's going to send them over the edge or make them feel backed into a corner. I have worked with some very ugly individuals.

I have been sexually harassed in many different employment settings. I have also been stalked in an apartment building by another renter (stranger). I have also been raped by an apartment manager.

One of the workplace incidents was when I was in college. I was working at a company p.t. to pay my tuition. One of the managers called me into the office to do some filing. There were two managers in there and they were telling "dirty jokes" in my presence. I reported them to HR.

HR manager told me that I should "expect" it because I was attractive.
    One manager summoned me into his office and I refused.

He caused a huge commotion in the office when he threw a temper tantrum and started throwing files full of papers at me and all over the main area where everyone worked.

I'm the one who had to quit.

I know what it is like to be a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    IMO, if any harassment turns violent it would be considered violence.
    I agree Suzi and when harrassment becomes a rape or assault at work of any type ~ it is violence and should be included in the definition of workplace violence too.

JMHO.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Universities take sexual harassment extremely seriously. I'm starting to hear more and more about workplace violence too.
    Character is destiny

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast