Questions (and answers)

debirlfan

Reaction score
A thread for quick questions, rather than discussion. (hope that's ok)

I'm not sure where to look to see if this has been addressed, but perhaps Labrat or someone would know... in his job as animal tech, would RC have been subject to drug testing? And if he would have been, would it only have been for 'recreational' drugs, or would he have been tested for steroids?

Thanks for starting our Q&A thread.

This is not for discussion type subjective questions, but rather more factual and informational type questions with minimal discussion. So, either leave a question or leave an answer. it makes a great reference thread, so the less chit chat to wade through the more valuable it becomes.

A thread for quick questions, rather than discussion. (hope that's ok)

I'm not sure where to look to see if this has been addressed, but perhaps Labrat or someone would know... in his job as animal tech, would RC have been subject to drug testing? And if he would have been, would it only have been for 'recreational' drugs, or would he have been tested for steroids?

At my facility, no. I have not ever been drug tested in 5 institutions so far.

I do not know Yale's policy, though.

I don't know about Yale's official policy (may be that we were all subject to random drug testing as a matter of boilerplate HR policy), but in my six years on the faculty, no one I knew or knew of (including techs, research assistants, faculty, students, other administrative staff, clerical, maintenance, etc.) was ever tested for drugs. Same for the other universities where I've been a student or worked.

Was the found 'bead' from necklace proven to be from Annie's necklace r could it be from someone who helped Clark clean up???

Thanks for starting our Q&A thread.

This is not for discussion type subjective questions, but rather more factual and informational type questions with minimal discussion. So, either leave a question or leave an answer. it makes a great reference thread, so the less chit chat to wade through the more valuable it becomes.
Remember, this thread is not a discussion thread for subjective opinions on questions.

it is a reference thread for objective questions and directions to information.

Was the found 'bead' from necklace proven to be from Annie's necklace r could it be from someone who helped Clark clean up???

Supposedly, LE claims it is her necklace so she was found with it on or if broken off it was placed in with her minus the one bead?

ETA..In the tape I can not see the necklace cos the quality is so poor but that does not mean it is not around her neck.

Investigators found a single bead from a necklace she was wearing in the lab area where she was last seen. They also found tiny blood droplets in that area.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-yale-student18-2009sep18,0,3083836.story

If her necklace was missing a bead (or beads) and they found a bead that visually looked like the beads on the necklace, perhaps it's only assumption that the bead found was from her necklace. I expect that will do tests to determine that the bead did come from her necklace, but have not seen any test results that "prove" it (too early?). I also recall LE saying there was only one person involved in this crime.

1. It's been widely reported that Raymond Clark's sister, brother in law, and girlfriend all worked for the same lab at Yale. Does this mean they all worked at the same exact location meaning on the same basement level floor or could it mean they worked the same job but at different locations?

2. Are Raymond's parents still together or are they divorced. If they're divorced, when did it happen?

3. If Raymond returned home wearing different clothes than what he left in, where could he have gotten them? Has it been reported that he returned home wearing different clothes of his, or could they have been "loaned" to him by somebody else?

4. Why would the police demean his position on national television knowing full well that he has other duties besides "just cleaning cages" and knowing that there are other members of his family that hold the same position and work for Yale? Hmmm...

1. Did JH ever receive an engagement ring from RC? Or was the proposal just a verbal agreement?

2. Did RC ever attend college?

3. Was he an academic or college prep major in hs?

Some more questions ...

1. Do/Did RC, his sister and brother in law, and JH all have the same boss?

2. If so, is he being reprimanded now that 4 people that work under him aren't there for work? Surely that makes for a heavier workload...somebody has to pick up the slack...

3. Who is taking care of the animals now that the basement lab is closed off...or could the animals have been moved to a different room?

4. Have the animals been checked to see if any dna or forensic evidence was left on their fur, droppings, or in their cages?

5. Could the argument actually have been about overcrowding of a colony which could promote a high level of ammonia and allow for disease to set in?

6. Are the pregnant mice housed in the basement lab? Or do the investigators keep them seperate at their own offices/lab?

One more question that's bugging me. What is the cancer rate in Annie's mice? (not to be taken out of context - this goes with the territory of research & I support research)

3. If Raymond returned home wearing different clothes than what he left in, where could he have gotten them? Has it been reported that he returned home wearing different clothes of his, or could they have been "loaned" to him by somebody else?

A New York Daily News article from this morning seemed to hint that he actually left the building for an extended period of time following the alarm.

A surveillance camera captured Clark leaving the building following a fire alarm that he may have set off to give himself an excuse for leaving in the middle of a workday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_..._creep_in_prison_for_keeps.html#ixzz0RTdKnMT5

I'm not sure on how to interpret the wording of "leaving in the middle of a workday." It WAS reported that he was in the building after hours that same Tuesday. He might have gone home after the alarm, changed clothes, went back to the building after hours. The mass of people waiting outside the building because of the alarm might have allowed him to steal away unnoticed (unless you're a cop sifting through video footage of him, anyway).

4. Why would the police demean his position on national television knowing full well that he has other duties besides "just cleaning cages" and knowing that there are other members of his family that hold the same position and work for Yale? Hmmm...

Interesting!

Some more questions ...

1. Do/Did RC, his sister and brother in law, and JH all have the same boss?

2. If so, is he being reprimanded now that 4 people that work under him aren't there for work? Surly that makes for a heavier workload...somebody has to pick up the slack...

3. Who is taking care of the animals now that the basement lab is closed off...or could the animals have been moved to a different room?

4. Have the animals been checked to see if any dna or forensic evidence was left on their fur, droppings, or in their cages?

5. Could the argument actually have been about overcrowding of a colony which could promote a high level of ammonia and allow for disease to set in?

6. Are the pregnant mice housed in the basement lab? Or do the investigators keep them seperate at their own offices/lab?

1. If they all had the same job title and they were in the same animal facility, then yes they would have the same supervisor. Each animal facility typically has a facility manager/operations manager.

2. It's not the supervisor's fault, so probably not reprimanded. Typically, they will have a number of options to cover the duties: (a) call in workers from other facilities on campus to pitch in; (b) overtime; (c) modify scheduled duties; and probably others that do not come to mind.

3. My understanding is that they are allowing essential research personnel to enter to perform essential tasks.

4. Why?

5. If there was an argument that escalated and if the argument was about animal health/cage cleanliness, there could be any number of reasons for such an argument, including but not limited to overcrowding, not weaning pups at the appropriate time (if this was a breeding colony), not changing the cage when too dirty, etc.

6. Lab animals are typically not housed for long periods of time in the researchers' laboratories; they are housed in the vivarium (which is the basement lab that everyone is referring to) where the cages can be changed, the environment is controlled (humidity, temp, light:dark cycle), where the animal health technicians can monitor health, etc. Labs that do house animals outside of a vivarium/lab animal facility have to be inspected regularly.

One more question that's bugging me. What is the cancer rate in Annie's mice? (not to be taken out of context - this goes with the terriroty of research & I support research)

Has it been established that Annie was working on a cancer project? My understanding is that the enzyme on which the Bennett lab was focused had relevance to a number of diseases, including cancer and diabetes.

Assuming Annie's project was on cancer, and assuming the mouse colony was a breeding colony, I would expect that these mice were genetically engineered mice (i.e. mice in which the enzyme of interest was overexpressed or knocked-out). This genetic manipulation would make the mice more or less likely to get cancer, either spontaneously or in response to treatment with a carcinogen. One would have to know much more about the research and about this animal model to make any intelligent comment about the tumor incidence.

More questions:

1. When RC left the building, and it was captured on camera, was he in street clothes or scrubs?

2. Could this have been when the young lady (I think it was law enforcement or a reporter that informed the public of this) saw a guy "with a reddish tint to his hair & had some blood spots on his clothes"?

3. Since it's being widely reported that RC is incredibly anal, and if he was in street clothes when he exited the building during the fire alarm, what would be his reason to not follow proper protocol? Wouldn't he have changed into scrubs after entering his place of work?

4. Could somebody else have started the argument with Annie but maybe RC is the one that took it to the next level?

1. Did JH ever receive an engagement ring from RC? Or was the proposal just a verbal agreement?

His two lifelong friends were on Larry King last night and one friend said that he wasn't aware of the engagement. So either word hadn't been spread OR it wasn't all that official.

Has it been established that Annie was working on a cancer project? My understanding is that the enzyme on which the Bennett lab was focused had relevance to a number of diseases, including cancer and diabetes.

Assuming Annie's project was on cancer, and assuming the mouse colony was a breeding colony, I would expect that these mice were genetically engineered mice (i.e. mice in which the enzyme of interest was overexpressed or knocked-out). This genetic manipulation would make the mice more or less likely to get cancer, either spontaneously or in response to treatment with a carcinogen. One would have to know much more about the research and about this animal model to make any intelligent comment about the tumor incidence.

That's not what I'm saying at all...only that on some of the docs I came across, it was noted that certain cells were being overcome, cancer, etc. Your answer is my logic...literally. Annie's thesis was on diabetes. We can't discuss this b/c this is a non-discussion thread. Please forgive me. I'll msg later when I get it all together. I'm brainstorming. I appreciate every answer you've given me. You're truly an asset to this forum! Thank you.

2. Did RC ever attend college?

3. Was he an academic or college prep major in hs?

(1) Maybe the GF's facebook page would answer this, if anyone saved it before it went private

(2) Yesterday in the New York Times—Demanding Job in a Divided Lab, Then a Murder

Mr. Clark’s brother-in-law and sister also work as animal technicians, and she recommended Mr. Clark for a position in the washing center in 2004, the year he graduated from high school in nearby Branford.

The university asks that technicians have familiarity with animals. Mr. Clark confided in one co-worker that he had listed on his résumé that he had worked on a farm, even though he had not, the co-worker said. The co-worker spoke on the condition of anonymity because Yale officials had instructed employees not to speak with the news media.

(3) Wouldn't know how to check that. Would his HS yearbook answer that?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back