1566 users online (355 members and 1211 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Woman accused of leaving daughter along highway

How this baby did not get run over by a semi I'll never understand. This is a very busy 2 lane HWY that is dark and scary at night. It's a bit of a shortcut from Toledo OH to Jackson MI.

"The investigation began about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday after a truck driver contacted a deputy on patrol and reported he had just found a small child, said a written statement Welsh issued. The driver said the girl was running east in the westbound lane of U.S. 223 near the intersection of Van Highway, just west of the village of Palmyra.

http://www.lenconnect.com/news/x1699...y?popular=true

People never cease to amaze me. Everytime I think we have heard it all, some idiot does the unthinkable. What possible motivation could she have to leave that poor baby alone on a highway in the middle of the night?!! Thank God for that truck driver. I hope this baby doesn't remember this when she grows up.
    Happy New Years

Thank God that trucker saw her. 3 years old. WTH!!!

Expect some spin with this one.
    [/I]

How utterly diabolical.
    The mother drops her child off, and then goes home to call and report her missing, if I'm reading the story correctly.
    Who knows how this affected that poor little girl emotionally/mentally....

Was the mother the one who called 911? This wasn't clear to me from the article. Was she hoping the little girl would get hit by a vehicle? The little girl deserves much better and someone to love her. (not the mother)

I'm going to guess her father woke up and called 911. I'm glad this poor child is safe. She must have been terrified out there all alone.

http://www.lenconnect.com/news/x1699...y?popular=true

(snips)
    At about 5:40 a.m., a 911 call about a missing child was received from Wellman’s home on Cloverdale Drive in the Drexel Park subdivision near East Maumee Street and Parr Highway.
    The home is about four miles from the location near Palmyra where the girl was found.

The girl’s father and an older child were asleep in the home at the time of the incident and did not know the girl was missing until later in the morning, Welsh said.

FYI - the hearing for the mother has been postponed until Jan 19, 2010, while a psych evaluation is being completed.

Thankfully, she is ordered to have no contact with the girl before the hearing. The girl is being cared for at home by her father.

http://www.lenconnect.com/news/x1107...-along-U-S-223

On a personal note, I've driven US-223 from Toledo to Jackson many, many times, and cannot even begin to imagine leaving a child out on that road. It is a miracle that she was rescued - its a winding road that often has heavy traffic (including heavy semi-truck traffic). Quite narrow in many spots. I've been frightened occasionally making the drive in my car - would be terrifying to be left on the side of the road there!

I guess guardian angels come in all sizes and shapes and vehicles. I'll bet that trucker's heart hasn't stopped pounding. Bless him.

This is just plain NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the heck could be this woman's motive? You pack your child up in the car in the middle of the night and leave her on a Highway? What would she have done if she didn't have a vehicle? Take the kid on the bus and ditch her?

This case was reopened. Wellman's relatives said she had never done anything previously to harm a child. They are citing several times she was institutionalized in her youth.

There's probably something more up to date. I'll look.

http://www.lenconnect.com/breaking/x...ntence-delayed

It doesn't make sense to me that the prosecution would delay to try and add new charges to justify a higher sentence. If that were the case, they wouldn't have offered or accepted the plea deal to begin with, would they? I suspect they have received information regarding possible past abuse and are checking it out. IMO