New Mackenzie Phillips Book Reveals Sexual Relationship With Her Father

Wow..no wonder she's had drug problems. The Entertainment Tonight website also reveals that she tells Oprah that her father shot her up with cocaine. Links below.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20307481,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/09/78905/

I was wondering what the big reveal was going to be on Oprah. That is absolutely disgusting. I wonder if he did that with any of his other daughters?
:sick::furious: I never held him in high esteem but I never had him pegged as a child molester. Just goes to show ya.

ETA: Just read the People link. I guess he's not technically a child molester if she was an adult (19)? Still disgusting, I feel like vomiting. I usually love to read biographies of celebs but I don't know about this one. I hope it is very healing for her to disclose this b/c I can't imagine revealing such a horrible secret to the masses. I'm usually all for getting child molestation out in the open b/c I think it helps the victim and people can learn from it. But this was a consentual thing, not really the same thing.

I was wondering what the big reveal was going to be on Oprah. That is absolutely disgusting. I wonder if he did that with any of his other daughters?
:sick::furious: I never held him in high esteem but I never had him pegged as a child molester. Just goes to show ya.

Gross, I wonder if it's really true. A lot of people make up stuff in order to sell books. I hope it's not true but if it is. (shudder)

Gross, I wonder if it's really true. A lot of people make up stuff in order to sell books. I hope it's not true but if it is. (shudder)

If it is true, why would you want to tell ANYONE about it? Maybe a therapist in private but certainly not the whole world. And if it isn't true, that's about the last thing in the world I would make up to sell a book! (repeat shudder!)

What's really fooked up is she's making excuses for his behaviour, saying SHE was having sex with her own father. Telling people not to hate him.

On the evening before her wedding no less:

"My father was not a man with boundaries. He was full of love, and he was sick with drugs. I woke up that night from a blackout to find myself having sex with my own father.

Molester-daddy goes on to say they can move to Fiji (where this type of behaviour is accepted).

She says her sexual relationship with him had become consensual.

No Mac - you were sexually abused/assaulted. You were brainwashed to make you think it's right. Similar to Stockholm Syndrome, you chose a positive psychological response to your abuser. You're STILL showing signs of loyalty to your abuser.

You need help -- and revealing this family secret to the public is not the way to go about it. Is it for sympathy?

No more excuses - he shot you up with drugs, gave you pills, raped you. Tell it like it is and don't sugarcoat it (like you did on Oprah).

May God be with you.

Mel

I do not know what to say to this , other then I hope I never find this book at a yard sale so I am not tempted to read it. Not that I dont think there are a myriad of issues she has worked to accept and cope with,I just do not feel she has worked though them enough to write a book based on the information she shared.

I know, I can't help but to think it may well be true. Because why on earth would you make that up, even for money? I have no idea what her financial status or situation is, but surely she's not that desperate to sell books? I'm still just sick, I really wish she hadn't felt the need to share this with the public. If she has any altruistic reasons, then I hope it is worth it.

maybe she's having 'false memories' that came out through therapy

if she was that wasted on drugs that she was having blackouts, then how can she remember anything or trust the memories she has?

I have no doubt they shot each other up with drugs

I have many doubts as to the veracity of her accusations that aren't really accusations b/c they were both adults & she still loves him & we shouldn't judge that

I remember reading the Mick J and her story in another book I read years ago. I cannot recall the name of the book. It doesn't make it fact; just because this same story has been written in another book...however, I believe her.

What a horrible man. I'll never listen to the Mamas and the Papas the same way again.

"You gotta go where you wanna go, do what you wanna do, with whoever you wanna do it with.."

She needs to realize that she was a victim and that her father was a very bad person for doing what he did to her.

I ponder what the rest of the family has to say. I know that her father is dead, so he can't defend himself against her accusations.

I can't say I'm surprised but I am disgusted. She was nineteen. I can understand that she was under the influence and possibly passed out the first time, but to continue the relationship??? It's a sick family.

Oh, and I agree with everyone else. Why tell it?

I think it take a tremendous amount of courage to publicly reveal something taboo about yourself. Ultimately it can be very healing for the person telling it and for people hearing it. Frankly, if you are going to write an autobiography, why hold anything pertinent back unless you are really just trying to write a fictional re-imagining of your life?

I haven't read her book and I doubt I will, but I applaud her honesty. She has had a rough life and I hope releasing some of this information was cathartic for her and leads her to a deeper sense of peace and acceptance.

I think it take a tremendous amount of courage to publicly reveal something taboo about yourself. Ultimately it can be very healing for the person telling it and for people hearing it. Frankly, if you are going to write an autobiography, why hold anything pertinent back unless you are really just trying to write a fictional re-imagining of your life?

I haven't read her book and I doubt I will, but I applaud her honesty. She has had a rough life and I hope releasing some of this information was cathartic for her and leads her to a deeper sense of peace and acceptance.

Personally, I think she's a coward. This information would have been much more useful if daddy-molester were still alive and could be prosecuted for his crimes. To tell it now that he's deceased is a moot point IMHO. The only thing she can do now is work through it via therapy.

On another note, he died in 2001 -- why come out with this now. I'm sure curious as to what Chynna and Bijou Phillips have to say about this. Not to mention Michelle Phillips. I'm sure statements from them will come out soon.

Again - just my opinion.

Mel

I am not sure who MP is, is this the same girl that says she slept with Mick Jagger or someone at like 15 and that he told her he had been wanting her since they first met when she was 10? I may be totally mixing up that story, but anyway...her father was a sick pervert and I really feel sorry for her that she doesn't see that she was a victim.

I am not sure who MP is, is this the same girl that says she slept with Mick Jagger or someone at like 15 and that he told her he had been wanting her since they first met when she was 10? I may be totally mixing up that story, but anyway...her father was a sick pervert and I really feel sorry for her that she doesn't see that she was a victim.

Here's some detailed info about MP. You're right - she had a 1 night stand with MJ.

Mackenzie Phillips
AKA Laura Mackenzie Phillips

Born: 10-Nov-1959
Birthplace: Alexandria, VA

Race or Ethnicity: White
Sexual orientation: Straight

Nationality: United States
Executive summary: Julie on One Day at a Time

Raised in a rock-and-roll household, Mackenzie Phillips was always exposed to materials and behavior most families would find shocking. Her father was John Phillips of The Mamas and the Papas, and her stepmother was Michelle Phillips, also in the band. The biggest names in pop culture were frequent houseguests, and Phillips has said she started using marijuana and LSD when she was 12. Her father showed her how to shoot up when she was 18, and not long after she was aggressively seduced by Mick Jagger, visiting in the Phillips home, who told her, "I've been waiting to do this since you were ten years old."

Ironically, Phillips' first professional acting work was in the 1973 TV adaptation of Go Ask Alice, the overwrought cautionary tale against drug abuse. Mere months after that, Phillips became famous playing the precocious teenager who rode with Paul Le Mat in American Graffiti. Two years later, she was cast as Julie Cooper, the screaming older daughter on One Day at a Time. Phillips was a mess during much of the show's run. By the third season, she had been arrested for cocaine possession. Being consistently late, unprepared, or simply stoned or drunk on the set, she was suspended from the cast for six weeks. She was fired in 1980, and her character vanished from the show for an entire season. After allegedly getting clean, she was welcomed back to the show in 1981, then fired again in 1983 as her drug problems resurfaced.

In 1979, her home was destroyed in one of those huge fires that periodically scour the Los Angeles suburbs. In the early 1980s, she toured with her father in a revival of the Mamas and the Papas. Much of her résumé from 1992-2008 consisted of appearances on various talk shows chatting about temperance, but in August 2008 she was arrested at Los Angeles Airport and later charged with possession of cocaine and heroin. She has worked on the soap opera The Guiding Light, and played Molly Phillips (no relation) on So Weird. She has also toured with stage productions of Annie, playing Lily St. Regis, and appeared in late-night infomercials for an anti-acne facial peel.

She was given the name MacKenzie (actually her middle name) as her father's tribute to family friend Scott McKenzie. He is best known for making a hit of her father's "(If You're Going To) San Francisco".

Father: John Phillips (musician, The Mamas and the Papas)
Mother: Suzy January (aka Suzy Adams, east coast socialite)
Mother: Michelle Phillips (stepmother, The Mamas and the Papas)
Brother: Jeffrey Phillips (banking executive, b. 1957, father John Phillips, mother Suzy January)
Sister: Bijou Phillips (musician, half-sister, b. 1-Apr-1980, father John Phillips, mother Genevieve Waite)
Sister: Chynna Phillips (musician, half-sister, b. 12-Feb-1968, father John Phillips, mother Michelle Phillips)
Brother: Tamerlane Phillips (musician, half-brother, b. 17-Mar-1971, father John Phillips, mother Genevieve Waite)
Slept with: Mick Jagger (one-night stand, 1977)
Boyfriend: Peter Asher (record executive, dated 1978-79)
Husband: Jeff Sessler (musician, m. 1981, div. 1982)
Husband: Shane Fontayne (aka Michael Barakan, b. 1954, dated 1985-97, m. 1997, div. 2000)
Son: Shane Fontayne, Jr. (aka Shane Adams Barakan, b. 1987)

unknown detox facility 6 times
Drug Possession: Heroin Los Angeles International Airport (arrested Aug-2008)
Drug Possession: Cocaine Los Angeles International Airport (arrested Aug-2008)
Drunk in Public
Raped
Risk Factors: Alcoholism, Smoking, Cocaine, Heroin

TELEVISION
One Day at a Time Julie Cooper (1975-80 and 1981-83)
The Guiding Light Rachel Sullivan (1996)
So Weird Molly Phillips (1999-2001)

FILMOGRAPHY AS ACTOR
The Jacket (23-Jan-2005)
Mayor of the Sunset Strip (17-Jun-2003) Herself
Double Teamed (18-Jan-2002)
Love Child (15-Oct-1982)
Moviola: The Silent Lovers (20-May-1980)
More American Graffiti (3-Aug-1979)
Eleanor and Franklin (11-Jan-1976)
American Graffiti (11-Aug-1973)
Go Ask Alice (24-Jan-1973)

Yes, she is the one that says that Mick Jagger told her that he had wanted her since she was 10. :eek:

Man what a sad life. When you start doing drugs with your father at 12, 12! - then it's likely you won't have a grip on reality for a very long time.

It's a tender age and kids can have psychotic breaks with reality in order to survive.

The fact that she was old enough to know better when she started a sexual relationship with her father doesn't really matter in my mind because she was so messed up by then, she had no idea what love was and how sick he was.

It makes you wonder how bad things are in poor homes where drugs are a constant now days. We're raising moral zombies.

I wonder the same thing - is this really true?

MP hasn't been relevant in Hollywood for years, and now she's headlining Oprah and will probably be enjoying extensive media coverage during the next few weeks. She writes something outrageous about her father, and now she's famous again....how nice. Maybe it happened, but I somehow doubt it.

I wonder if Oprah was able to verify the story in some way, or did she buy it hook, line, and sinker? Oprah has already been hoodwinked by one writer, so I hope she did some diligent fact-checking before allowing MP set foot on her stage. Can this story even be verified? Probably not....maybe that's what both women are counting on.

The whole thing is disgusting.

IMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member