1188 users online (204 members and 984 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Cops Taser Elderly Man in Parade

This one speaks for itself:

http://www.trib.com/news/state-and-r...cc4c03286.html

My apologies if someone else apready posted this, I couldn't find it on here as yet.
    Yeah, he disregarded police instructions. Did these guys ever stop to think maybe he was confused. Seems that some elements of LE are getting Taser-happy these days.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

Lord I don't know how cops do it. It would be frustrating to have to deal with runaway tractor drivers that bash into your patrol car. Tasing seems like an over-reaction but we also expect police to live in this world where their lives are at stake all the time but they aren't ever supposed to lose patience. I couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Lord I don't know how cops do it. It would be frustrating to have to deal with runaway tractor drivers that bash into your patrol car. Tasing seems like an over-reaction but we also expect police to live in this world where their lives are at stake all the time but they aren't ever supposed to lose patience. I couldn't do it.
    I agree with your statement in general, but I doubt the officers in this case felt their lives were at risk from a 76-year-old man. Yes, a tractor can be lethal, but it's not as though he chased them down the street with it.

When used responsibly, a Taser is a good tool for LE to have. It prempts use of more lethal force in some situations, but it should be limited in use.
    What disturbs me have been a series of these stories over the past year or so, LE reaching for these things routinely. In the case in this story I would bet that this guy was just confused, maybe hard of hearing, who knows.
    Tasers can kill. Remember the guy at the Vancouver airport? Most LE people use them with respect but I think some don't. These two don't sound like the sharpest knives in the drawer.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'