GUILTY NY - Marcia, 53, & Elizabeth Honsch, 17, murdered, Brewster, 28 Sept 1995

hmg

Reaction score
New evidence in 'cold' cases
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
By DAVID VALLETTE
dvallette@repub.com

TOLLAND - New evidence has led Massachusetts and Connecticut investigators to the capital district of New York state to try to solve a pair of 14-year-old homicides, including one that may have taken place here.

The woman whose body was found dumped in Tolland State Forest here on Oct. 6, 1995, might have lived in the Albany, N.Y. area, or at least spent time there, it was revealed on Tuesday at a press conference held at the New York State Police Academy in Albany.

Investigators recently were able to trace the sweatshirt worn by the slain woman to a company in New York's capital district, and sold only at three stores: one in Schenectady, one in the Northway Mall in Colonie, and the other at the Wilton Mall in Saratoga Springs, according to Massachusetts State Police Captain Peter J. Higgins.

Investigators took their case to New York for the press conference with apparent hopes of identifying the victims. Higgins said that it is likely there are family or friends of the victims in the Albany area who have not yet been made aware of the murders and investigations because they were centered in Massachusetts and Connecticut.

"Identifying the parties is such a crucial thing," he said. The new focus on Albany could finally lead to identification, which would be "a good starting point," the captain said.

More from this article at http://www.masslive.com/metrowest/republican/index.ssf?/base/news-22/125369012083650.xml&coll=1

Websleuthers have been following both these cases for some time now:

New Britain victim- CT-Jane Doe -**WARNING** Post Mortem Photos! New Britain CT - Found 9/28/95 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Tolland victim- MA-UID Female in a Massachusetts, 1995 (maybe from NY/ NJ?) - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thank you SOOO much for this article! I've been following the CT Jane Doe for a while now, so glad to see something coming from it!

Thank you SOOO much for this article! I've been following the CT Jane Doe for a while now, so glad to see something coming from it!

I have also followed the CT Jane Doe, and just want to give kudos to LE for not giving up on these cold cases.

IMO

The article I posted seems to neglect a pretty important aspect-- that is that they are thought to be actually blood line related, not just related in terms of the same MO. Investigators believe that this is either a mother/ daughter situation, two sisters, or an aunt and niece. They didn't say why they thought this but my guess is DNA.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news...ion-in-massachusetts-and-connecticut-20110226
Investigators cannot definitively tie in all five Jane Does into the same case. But they are not ruling out the possibility the same killer is responsible. It's hard to ignore the fact that the bodies of four of the five women were found near the same shopping center in New Britain. What are the odds of the cases NOT being related.

The identification of Diane Cusak is a key because she was a New Britain woman found in New Britain. This suggests the killer may also be from the area, or, at the very least, familiar with New Britain. More importantly, police are now working on her time line, trying to determine where she was, and who she was with, before she disappeared.

I wasn't sure where to put this since there are a few threads that pertain to this article.

Do you have a pointer to a news article where we can find details?

Never mind, I see you posted it separately. Woot, that is good news!

Thanks to new member WalkingDude for this story!

Almost 20 years after the body of a 17-year-old girl was discovered behind a shopping plaza in New Britain, police have identified her and charged her father with murdering the teen and her mother.

Elizabeth Honsch was found shot in the head near 593 Hartford Road in New Britain on Sept. 28, 1995. Her body had been wrapped in a sleeping bag and plastic trash bags, according to police.

The body of her mother, 53-year-old Marcia Honsch, was found eight days later and 40 miles away near the entrance to a state park in Tolland, Massachusetts. She had also been shot in the head and had been dead for a week when her body was discovered, according to police.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...-on-1995-New-Britain-Cold-Case-268320782.html

The girl in Connecticut was indeed her daughter. What a sad story, but good to get some closure.

Thank you, Catfancier. Glad these families got some closure, it's so sad that it took so long to ID them.

It's always a big pleasure to read of a cold case resolved.

Thanks, Dude. And Cat, for starting the thread.

0jPa3s9.jpg

http://heavy.com/news/2014/07/robert-honsch-elizabeth-marcia-honsch/

Honsch had escaped the area after the deaths of his family in ’95, he moved to Ohio and changed his name to Robert Tyree. He remarried and had kids. Honsch was arrested and held in Wooster, Ohio, on July 23...

It was only through recent DNA testing that Elizabeth and Marcia Honsch were identified as being related. Only in June 2014 did Marcia Honsch’s family report her missing. It isn’t clear why they waited so long to do so.

Apparently they had lost touch with the women a few years before the murder -- he was one of those abusive asshats who deliberately cut them off from their extended family and then moved with them.

The press conference was pretty vague, but I extrapolated that the family came forward after they heard about the DNA results. I could be wrong about that, however. (What, me wrong? :laughing:)

Wow. Very sad story (and frightening that he got away with this for almost 20 years), but I'm glad they finally have their names back.

I did some digging around and it appears that a relative or friend posted she was looking for them. Diana Maribel I believe is her name.

What a sick... you know what. Shooting your spouse I can almost wrap my head around. Shooting your child? Rot in hell. His mugshot is so smug.

Thankful they have their names back, though.

Apparently they had lost touch with the women a few years before the murder -- he was one of those abusive asshats who deliberately cut them off from their extended family and then moved with them.

The press conference was pretty vague, but I extrapolated that the family came forward after they heard about the DNA results. I could be wrong about that, however. (What, me wrong? :laughing:)

That's just so sad. I'm so sorry that people are ever scared into dealing with jerks like him. I'm sure her mother wanted out but didn't know how :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morbidlittlemind
Back