1075 users online (226 members and 849 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

McGregor Scott, Jaycee Lee Dugard's Attorney

Press Release:

Statement of Former U.S. Attorney McGregor Scott, of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, Attorney for Ms. Jaycee Dugard
    Press Release
    Source: Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
    On Wednesday September 23, 2009, 6:00 am EDT

SACRAMENTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--At their request, I met with Ms. Jaycee Dugard and her mother, Mrs. Terry Probyn, last week and offered to help Jaycee and her daughters on a pro bono basis as they move forward with their lives. As everyone can imagine, there are a host of legal issues that the family confronts, especially the prosecution of Jaycee's abductors. In addition, the family faces an onslaught of media attention that the family understands but does not invite.

Terry Probyn asked me to pass on the following message of thanks from her:

"Jaycee, her daughters, and I are grateful for everyone's generosity, kindness, and good wishes these past few weeks. Thank you. All of us are doing very well under the circumstances. We especially appreciate everyone recognizing that what we need most right now is to be allowed to become a family again within a zone of privacy and security. We hope that our story focuses attention on all of the children still missing, and on their need to be found. We must keep looking for them. As Jaycee shows, miracles can happen."

As has been widely reported, a trust fund for Jaycee and her daughters was established. To correct misinformation and to ensure that everyone has the correct address, please know that the official fund for Jaycee and her children's benefit is the following:

Jaycee Dugard Trust Fund

c/o View Tech

P.O. Box 596

Atwood, CA 92811

We greatly hope members of the media respect the privacy of the Probyn and Dugard families during this time. Any inquiries can be made to me or Ms. Erika Price Schulte.

Ms. Erika Price Schulte, 949-636-4242orOrrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLPMcGregor Scott, Esq., 916-329-4989

McGregor Scott's background

McGregor W. Scott
    Partner
    Litigation
    Sacramento Office

(916) 329-7982
    mscott@orrick.com

McGregor "Greg" Scott, a partner in Orrick's Sacramento office, is a member of the Litigation Group, focusing on white collar criminal defense and corporate investigations. Mr. Scott, a former United States Attorney, is an experienced trial lawyer with nearly 20 years of experience as a prosecutor.

Education
    J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1989
    B.A., Santa Clara University, 1985
    http://www.orrick.com/lawyers/Bio.asp?ID=230360

McGregor Scott Quoted in UPI Article

McGregor Scott quoted in earlier UPI article from September 4, 2009

Garrido accused of several assaults
    Published: Sept. 4, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    *SNIPPED*
    ANTIOCH, Calif., Sept. 4 (UPI) -- Police said more allegations of rape and kidnapping against Phillip Garrido, accused of kidnapping Jaycee Dugard 18 years ago in California, have surfaced.

While the details emerged Thursday, authorities were at a loss to explain how a person with Garrido's criminal record got out and stayed out of prison, The Sacramento (Calif.) Bee reported Friday.

"If you look at the reports of the psychiatrists and others involved, it is incomprehensible that any objective body would ever allow this man back into society," former U.S. Attorney McGregor Scott said. "It is just an absolute dereliction of duty."BBM
    More here: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/09/...9421252079468/

McGregor Scott was helping the El Dorado Cty DA's office with press inquiries

And from a Fox News story on August 28th, 2009:

The couple had to be arraigned today or be set free. That added to the workload for the El Dorado County District Attorney's office. McGregor Scott, an attorney for the Orrick law firm and a former US Attorney is helping the office with press inquiries.

"It's a fire drill, it's an all out fire drill," he said.

Scott said analyzing evidence that's still be collected and dealing with legal issues is keeping the D.A. busy.

"The statue of limitations, the three strikes law...there's a lot of legal permutations to this case that make it out of the ordinary," said Scott.
    http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/...,7871784.story

So, first McGregor scott is helping the El Dorado County District Attorney's office with press inquiries, and NOW he's Jaycee Lee Dugard's lawyer.

Comments?

McGregor Scott Says Jaycee Will Probably Testify

McGregor Scott interviewed on CBS News Early Show
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5334580.shtml

Sept. 24, 2009
    Jaycee Would Probably Testify, Lawyer Says
    Attorney for Family: Jaycee Would "In All Likelihood" Take Stand Against Accused Abductors Phillip and Nancy Garrido
    *snipped*

Now, a lawyer hired by Jaycee's family says she would probably testify against the Garridos when the time comes.

"I'm confident in saying that, if this case does proceed to trial, Jaycee will, in all likelihood, be a witness for the prosecution," McGregor Scott told "Early Show" co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez. "She's aware of that, and understands that. That day is a long ways away from right now, so she's got a lot of time to continue with the mending and the healing and the rehabilitation she's going through now."

Nothing like inserting yourself into a famous case to make a name for yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by smgtheophilus View Post
    Nothing like inserting yourself into a famous case to make a name for yourself...

It's actually been reported that Terry made contact with him first, and he, in turn, offered to work pro bono. I could be wrong, but he doesn't seem so bad to me. The Dugard family obviously needs legal counsel, you have a better suggestion? Or would any attorney that represents them be cast in the same light? Why is everyone so jaded that they can't try to see that not all people are in this for unsavory reasons? Not everyone is up to no good, some people actually do good deeds for other people. I know opinions of lawyers aren't so great, but they do need an attorney, so....

he's working for them 'pro bono' at least. hes not soaking money from them directly. any money he gets will be elsewhere............and i have no doubt he'll do his job for them

Quote Originally Posted by MBK View Post
    So, first McGregor scott is helping the El Dorado County District Attorney's office with press inquiries, and NOW he's Jaycee Lee Dugard's lawyer.

Comments?
    The only concern I have is to ask if there is any potential conflict of interest. That said, I can't see an attorney of his caliber inserting himself into the situation without analyzing every detail of his actions and making sure there wasn't a problem if he represented JC and her family.

Other than that I would think Terry knew they needed to get an attorney, sought out recommendations, and took this attorney up on his offer to represent them.
    Last edited by Californian; 09-24-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added additional comment

Quote Originally Posted by Californian View Post
    The only concern I have is to ask if there is any potential conflict of interest. That said, I can't see an attorney of his caliber inserting himself into the situation without analyzing every detail of his actions and making sure there wasn't a problem if he represented JC and her family.

Other than that I would think Terry knew they needed to get an attorney, sought out recommendations, and took this attorney up on his offer to represent them.
    unless he becomes there attorney to sue local police or something i dont see a conflict.
    i hope he handles this bio-dad nonsense though

Quote Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
    he's working for them 'pro bono' at least. hes not soaking money from them directly. any money he gets will be elsewhere............and i have no doubt he'll do his job for them
    The reward he'll get is having his face plastered all over TV. Free advertising for his services, for later clients who will pay.

I just listened to a radio interview with him and he said the Jaycee will cooperate with authorities 100%. He also said the family would like people to focus on other missing children instead of Jaycee. he said that in a good way but I am typing it shorter LOL.
    Last edited by JBean; 09-24-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Lol, that isnt going to happen, the story is too compelling, the case too unusual. As long as there is mystery and drama, the spotlight is going to be on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Natal View Post
    The reward he'll get is having his face plastered all over TV. Free advertising for his services, for later clients who will pay.
    as long as he's not soaking them for money he can get whatever publicity he wants. unlike the witch thats representing slayton

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I just listened to a radio interview with him and he said the Jaycee will cooperate with authorities 100%. He also said the family would like people to focus on other missing children instead of Jaycee. he said that in a good way but I am typing it shorter LOL.

i dont know why but im drawn to this case more then anythignelse. though i have posted in a couple of other forums here. carl being unjustly villified for 20 years reminds me of how i personally tried to help exonerate someone of the same thing a few years ago. jaycee's lack of a father (and father figure) for most of her early years reminds me of my own personal loss in that regard. and on top of that it's just an incredible story with an ending no one saw coming........its just too compelling for people to stay away or go on to somethingelse, you know?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast