McGregor Scott, Jaycee Lee Dugard's Attorney

MBK

Reaction score
Press Release:

Statement of Former U.S. Attorney McGregor Scott, of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, Attorney for Ms. Jaycee Dugard
Press Release
Source: Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
On Wednesday September 23, 2009, 6:00 am EDT

SACRAMENTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--At their request, I met with Ms. Jaycee Dugard and her mother, Mrs. Terry Probyn, last week and offered to help Jaycee and her daughters on a pro bono basis as they move forward with their lives. As everyone can imagine, there are a host of legal issues that the family confronts, especially the prosecution of Jaycee's abductors. In addition, the family faces an onslaught of media attention that the family understands but does not invite.

Terry Probyn asked me to pass on the following message of thanks from her:

"Jaycee, her daughters, and I are grateful for everyone's generosity, kindness, and good wishes these past few weeks. Thank you. All of us are doing very well under the circumstances. We especially appreciate everyone recognizing that what we need most right now is to be allowed to become a family again within a zone of privacy and security. We hope that our story focuses attention on all of the children still missing, and on their need to be found. We must keep looking for them. As Jaycee shows, miracles can happen."

As has been widely reported, a trust fund for Jaycee and her daughters was established. To correct misinformation and to ensure that everyone has the correct address, please know that the official fund for Jaycee and her children's benefit is the following:

Jaycee Dugard Trust Fund

c/o View Tech

P.O. Box 596

Atwood, CA 92811

We greatly hope members of the media respect the privacy of the Probyn and Dugard families during this time. Any inquiries can be made to me or Ms. Erika Price Schulte.

Ms. Erika Price Schulte, 949-636-4242orOrrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLPMcGregor Scott, Esq., 916-329-4989

McGregor W. Scott
Partner
Litigation
Sacramento Office

(916) 329-7982
mscott@orrick.com

McGregor "Greg" Scott, a partner in Orrick's Sacramento office, is a member of the Litigation Group, focusing on white collar criminal defense and corporate investigations. Mr. Scott, a former United States Attorney, is an experienced trial lawyer with nearly 20 years of experience as a prosecutor.

Education
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1989
B.A., Santa Clara University, 1985

http://www.orrick.com/lawyers/Bio.asp?ID=230360

McGregor Scott quoted in earlier UPI article from September 4, 2009

Garrido accused of several assaults
Published: Sept. 4, 2009 at 11:51 AM
*SNIPPED*
ANTIOCH, Calif., Sept. 4 (UPI) -- Police said more allegations of rape and kidnapping against Phillip Garrido, accused of kidnapping Jaycee Dugard 18 years ago in California, have surfaced.

While the details emerged Thursday, authorities were at a loss to explain how a person with Garrido's criminal record got out and stayed out of prison, The Sacramento (Calif.) Bee reported Friday.

"If you look at the reports of the psychiatrists and others involved, it is incomprehensible that any objective body would ever allow this man back into society," former U.S. Attorney McGregor Scott said. "It is just an absolute dereliction of duty."BBM

More here: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/09/04/Garrido-accused-of-several-assaults/UPI-99421252079468/

And from a Fox News story on August 28th, 2009:

The couple had to be arraigned today or be set free. That added to the workload for the El Dorado County District Attorney's office. McGregor Scott, an attorney for the Orrick law firm and a former US Attorney is helping the office with press inquiries.

"It's a fire drill, it's an all out fire drill," he said.

Scott said analyzing evidence that's still be collected and dealing with legal issues is keeping the D.A. busy.

"The statue of limitations, the three strikes law...there's a lot of legal permutations to this case that make it out of the ordinary," said Scott.
http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-tv-garridoarraignement,0,7871784.story

So, first McGregor scott is helping the El Dorado County District Attorney's office with press inquiries, and NOW he's Jaycee Lee Dugard's lawyer.

Comments?

McGregor Scott interviewed on CBS News Early Show
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/24/earlyshow/main5334580.shtml

Sept. 24, 2009
Jaycee Would Probably Testify, Lawyer Says
Attorney for Family: Jaycee Would "In All Likelihood" Take Stand Against Accused Abductors Phillip and Nancy Garrido
*snipped*

Now, a lawyer hired by Jaycee's family says she would probably testify against the Garridos when the time comes.

"I'm confident in saying that, if this case does proceed to trial, Jaycee will, in all likelihood, be a witness for the prosecution," McGregor Scott told "Early Show" co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez. "She's aware of that, and understands that. That day is a long ways away from right now, so she's got a lot of time to continue with the mending and the healing and the rehabilitation she's going through now."

Nothing like inserting yourself into a famous case to make a name for yourself...

Nothing like inserting yourself into a famous case to make a name for yourself...

It's actually been reported that Terry made contact with him first, and he, in turn, offered to work pro bono. I could be wrong, but he doesn't seem so bad to me. The Dugard family obviously needs legal counsel, you have a better suggestion? Or would any attorney that represents them be cast in the same light? Why is everyone so jaded that they can't try to see that not all people are in this for unsavory reasons? Not everyone is up to no good, some people actually do good deeds for other people. I know opinions of lawyers aren't so great, but they do need an attorney, so....

he's working for them 'pro bono' at least. hes not soaking money from them directly. any money he gets will be elsewhere............and i have no doubt he'll do his job for them

So, first McGregor scott is helping the El Dorado County District Attorney's office with press inquiries, and NOW he's Jaycee Lee Dugard's lawyer.

Comments?

The only concern I have is to ask if there is any potential conflict of interest. That said, I can't see an attorney of his caliber inserting himself into the situation without analyzing every detail of his actions and making sure there wasn't a problem if he represented JC and her family.

Other than that I would think Terry knew they needed to get an attorney, sought out recommendations, and took this attorney up on his offer to represent them.

The only concern I have is to ask if there is any potential conflict of interest. That said, I can't see an attorney of his caliber inserting himself into the situation without analyzing every detail of his actions and making sure there wasn't a problem if he represented JC and her family.

Other than that I would think Terry knew they needed to get an attorney, sought out recommendations, and took this attorney up on his offer to represent them.

unless he becomes there attorney to sue local police or something i dont see a conflict.
i hope he handles this bio-dad nonsense though

he's working for them 'pro bono' at least. hes not soaking money from them directly. any money he gets will be elsewhere............and i have no doubt he'll do his job for them

The reward he'll get is having his face plastered all over TV. Free advertising for his services, for later clients who will pay.

I just listened to a radio interview with him and he said the Jaycee will cooperate with authorities 100%. He also said the family would like people to focus on other missing children instead of Jaycee. he said that in a good way but I am typing it shorter LOL.

Lol, that isnt going to happen, the story is too compelling, the case too unusual. As long as there is mystery and drama, the spotlight is going to be on them.

The reward he'll get is having his face plastered all over TV. Free advertising for his services, for later clients who will pay.

as long as he's not soaking them for money he can get whatever publicity he wants. unlike the witch thats representing slayton

I just listened to a radio interview with him and he said the Jaycee will cooperate with authorities 100%. He also said the family would like people to focus on other missing children instead of Jaycee. he said that in a good way but I am typing it shorter LOL.

i dont know why but im drawn to this case more then anythignelse. though i have posted in a couple of other forums here. carl being unjustly villified for 20 years reminds me of how i personally tried to help exonerate someone of the same thing a few years ago. jaycee's lack of a father (and father figure) for most of her early years reminds me of my own personal loss in that regard. and on top of that it's just an incredible story with an ending no one saw coming........its just too compelling for people to stay away or go on to somethingelse, you know?

And from a Fox News story on August 28th, 2009:

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-tv-garridoarraignement,0,7871784.story

Comments
?

The fact that he had offered to help out in the DA's office is probably why his name came up.

Working in the DA's office for free showed his interest in the case and his desire to help. It showed his willingness to work pro bono. And his name would have been on the tip of their tongue as soon as it became known that Jaycee and family needed an attorney. So if the family expressed a desire, he would have been the first thought of. It is also possible that one of the family had to go to the office for something and during an introduction he may have offered to help "if there is anything I can do." That is a very common thing to offer someone in tragic or tense situations. And whoever he made the offer to may have taken him up on it.

I don't think that it means anything bad. It is something that I wish more attorneys and politians would do. Many of them talk a lot about their "service to their community" but I would like to see some of them doing it for free.

Helping out with a case that very convienently happened to be a high profile one. I bet there were a horde of lawyers hanging out hoping to offer help to both sides of the case.

Maybe I'm just a cynic :angel:

Helping out with a case that very convienently happened to be a high profile one. I bet there were a horde of lawyers hanging out hoping to offer help to both sides of the case.

I understand the cynicism, but you're totally wrong here. Orrick is one of the best, most prestigious law firms in the United States. I'll pull up the ranking, but it's in the top 100 in the whole U.S.

He is absolutely not doing it for the money or fame. This firm represents top companies, banks, etc. 1st year lawyer salary is $160,000. Partners make over $1 million a year. Also, firms like Orrick don't ALLOW attorney advertising.

And their billing rates are over $700 an hour. HOUR. And firms like these don't just take clients who call. There are extensive conflict checks, etc.

I really, really think this guy just genuinely wants to help.

I think we all agree that JC and family need an attorney for this case.
Somebody has to do it, he is good.

Inserting yourself and representing a sef serving or nasty person that is one thing,
but defending an angel and family is not inserting yourself. It is a good deed.

I GUESS :rolleyes: if you were an attorney and you got a call from good
people that just happen to also be a high profile case; you may say
"OH no this is high profile, cant do this" :rolleyes:

It is an honor to help this family, I wish I could do something for them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back