1527 users online (234 members and 1293 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Anthony's Paid Fees For Video, Pictures Used In Interviews

http://www.wesh.com/news/21101165/detail.html

“Licensing Fees Bring Money To Anthony’s”
    Networks Pay For Video, Pictures Used In Interviews
    From WESH.COM: “A representative for the show said, "CBS News did not pay for any interviews relating to the Anthony story. Licensing footage is a standard industry practice done by television news programs to produce a visually complete story."
    In other words, the network may have paid Cindy Anthony, who is Casey Anthony's mother, thousands of dollars for her pictures and video.”

essies is offline "We're all just walking each other home." Ram Dass
    http://www.wesh.com/video/21102498/index.html
    This is video of last night's (9/23/09) broadcast! Very interesting info came from Lee's former lawyer T. Luca!

"It's time to tell the story of a little girl named Caylee" Linda Drane Burdick
    The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.

Casey Anthony: WESH explores value of paid-for information and highlights that Cindy receives money
    posted by halboedeker
    on Sep 24, 2009 9:14:32 AM
    http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/ent...html#trackback

Check out the comments!! OUCH!!

The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.

Great article! I think "fair market value" for "photo licensing fees" (what a EUPHEMISM) should be a fixed amount and not dependent on the notoriety of the case.

And it sure shouldn't go over four figures. If CA wants that kind of money she can go peddle her lies to the Enquirer (who would probably expose them anyway).

Well at least LA has enough class not to pimp out his little murdered niece. Jeepers!
    "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by celticthyme View Post
    http://www.wesh.com/news/21101165/detail.html

“Licensing Fees Bring Money To Anthony’s”
    Networks Pay For Video, Pictures Used In Interviews
    From WESH.COM: “A representative for the show said, "CBS News did not pay for any interviews relating to the Anthony story. Licensing footage is a standard industry practice done by television news programs to produce a visually complete story."
    In other words, the network may have paid Cindy Anthony, who is Casey Anthony's mother, thousands of dollars for her pictures and video.”
    To quote the murderer, "Surprise Surprise" (said during one of the jail visitations)

I understand the concept of licensing photos. BUT the prices paid in many cases are so out of proportion to the value of the photos themselves that is is just a way to get around "paying for interviews". I have a friend who is a professional photographer and he sells many photos via Corbis, a stock photography website. In this economy, advertisers are turning more and more to stock photos as a cost saving measure. Example, he sold a photo that was of a friend and her daughter to a cosmetic company. I think it was about 15-20K. HE IS A PROFESSIONAL. When people are selling poor quality film from a point and shoot, and receiving the same or more, it is clearly evidence of an inappropriate transaction. I for one would like to see some sort of legislation that prohibits payment to anyone for images related to a criminal case that exceed current market value of similar photos. I know it's unlikely to ever happen, but one can hope. Perhaps I should take some photos of shady characters in my town in anticipation of a future crime so I can cash in. Maybe news agencies could offer payment via a contribution to a non profit in that persons name. If someone should be making money, how about those who help victims?? JMO and a wee bit of a rant.
    Last edited by sleutherontheside; 09-24-2009 at 01:11 PM.

This explains why Cindy was so mad at momtective!!! It wasn't about Caylee-it was about MONEY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by essies View Post
    This explains why Cindy was so mad at momtective!!! It wasn't about Caylee-it was about MONEY!!!
    Oh for sure! And it probably made ABC feel like they had egg on their faces, too! CBS is about ready to fold financially; their ratings are in the toilet and maybe they are desperate. I can see why if they are paying for that kind of swill.

Sleutherontheside is so right about that - in this day and age, when a monkey can take pix with a phone, we certainly need to rethink Son of Sam tenets (which were more centered on publishing and not an instant "Kodak Moment" snapshot) and come up with something that includes profiting before the trial, not only for the defendant, but for family members that might be paying for a defense. This is also a motivation for idiot type defense attorneys to fight gag orders and drag their feet hoping that a lengthy delay will add to the profits. Talk about a conflict of interest!

At the very least, the ABA should take a stand and make it unethical for attorneys to engage in directly, or indirectly benefit from, tactics like this. It's disrespectful to the victim regardless of whether the defendant is ever cleared. And if the victim's family is also the defendant's family, it makes it even worse.

I need to get some hand sanitizer now. My fingers feel filthy even writing about this. Dante needs a new circle in Hell for this new level of loathsome.
    "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by cecybeans View Post
    Oh for sure! And it probably made ABC feel like they had egg on their faces, too! CBS is about ready to fold financially; their ratings are in the toilet and maybe they are desperate. I can see why if they are paying for that kind of swill.

Sleutherontheside is so right about that - in this day and age, when a monkey can take pix with a phone, we certainly need to rethink Son of Sam tenets (which were more centered on publishing and not an instant "Kodak Moment" snapshot) and come up with something that includes profiting before the trial, not only for the defendant, but for family members that might be paying for a defense. This is also a motivation for idiot type defense attorneys to fight gag orders and drag their feet hoping that a lengthy delay will add to the profits. Talk about a conflict of interest!

At the very least, the ABA should take a stand and make it unethical for attorneys to engage in directly, or indirectly benefit from, tactics like this. It's disrespectful to the victim regardless of whether the defendant is ever cleared. And if the victim's family is also the defendant's family, it makes it even worse.

I need to get some hand sanitizer now. My fingers feel filthy even writing about this. Dante needs a new circle in Hell for this new level of loathsome.
    BBM

A bit off topic but with all the cases regarding "sexting" and the law not having "caught up" with technology, situations like this really do beg for some updating to statutes. I know the process is lengthy and will be difficult, but until there is some action to stop or at the very least "derail" these media practices it will continue to breed the ugly monster that much media has become. I read a very good book "Mediated" that discusses the moral and social implications of media bias. FACINATING and unnerving at the same time. Our world is changing too quickly to react with legal consequences for certain behaviors. BUT, we have to get moving on it and soon. I see chaos in the near future and I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sleutherontheside View Post
    BBM

A bit off topic but with all the cases regarding "sexting" and the law not having "caught up" with technology, situations like this really do beg for some updating to statutes. I know the process is lengthy and will be difficult, but until there is some action to stop or at the very least "derail" these media practices it will continue to breed the ugly monster that much media has become. I read a very good book "Mediated" that discusses the moral and social implications of media bias. FACINATING and unnerving at the same time. Our world is changing too quickly to react with legal consequences for certain behaviors. BUT, we have to get moving on it and soon. I see chaos in the near future and I don't like it.
    ITA! Even physicists realize that observing an experiment affects the outcome. Ever since the "New Journalism" put stories in the first person, inserting an observer into the circumstance itself, we've been in danger of having media interact and influence events. It's a huge ethical problem that has infected all areas of media. Editorializing is substitute for facts these days, and people believe anything they hear or see. And Warhol's "fifteen minutes of fame" seems to be a social constant these days, which fuels it even more.

Even if the world and technology is changing quickly - we need to get a handle on the potential impact of certain behaviors on others - whether in person or electronically - and start setting some legal precedents that can be used to formulate guidelines. Freedom of speech has never been license or there would be no parameters like libel or defamation.

As far as "sexting" goes, all I can say is that I'm glad my daughter is a mother herself and I don't have to personally think about it for awhile. On the other hand, there is all that brouhaha over the family that innocently took naked pix of their kids playing to WalMart unaware of their policy on "decency". It's hard to keep up with private policies that have great social impact - particularly when they are unpublished. It sure is a mess out there! (and thanks for the cathartic OT opportunity to get that off my mind!)

I'd like to see someone depose the ABC producer that was with the Anthony's at the Ritz Dec. 11th, Jim Lichtenstien and Geraldo!! Wonder if that's possible?

A comment... "Licensing fees" are used by the news programs as their way of separating themselves from "tabloid" news like the Enquirer - so they can say they don't pay for interviews - but we all know they do and I'm not as upset about them paying as I am about them trying to say they aren't. At least the "tabloids" admit that's how they get their stories - who is more reputable - the one who admits it or the one who hides it!

A question... Someone brought up son of sam laws which are supposed to prohibit the perp from profiting from the crime but wouldn't the A's relationship to the victim as well as the perp make them "exempt" from those laws? I mean, they couldn't be stopped from book deals or interviews or outright selling their story to the Enquirer by those laws since their connection is not only to the killer but to the victim as well - right?
    I know that you think you understand what you thought you heard me say, but, I'm not sure that you realize that what you heard me say is not really what I meant to convey.

Well let's put the licensing fees in perspective.
    Here's what other notable parents of missing/murdered obtained as payment for photos of their dead children,
    Mark Klaas- zero
    Mark Lunsford-zero
    Beth Holloway-zero
    Joshua Duckett-zero
    John Ramsay-zero
    Ron Cummings- zero
    Shall I go on?

Oh, of course, the Anthonys- at least $200K that we know of, but probably 5 times that is their goal.

Oh yea, those comments are brutal. I like the one that brought to light the fact that

CAYLEE is now financing the defense of the one who MURDERED HER.

That is so Wrong on every level. The Anthonys can't see that? They should rot.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Oh yea, those comments are brutal. I like the one that brought to light the fact that

CAYLEE is now financing the defense of the one who MURDERED HER.

That is so Wrong on every level. The Anthonys can't see that? They should rot.
    Couldn't get that comments link to work

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast