Collection Agency sued in Man's Death

Snick1946

Reaction score
If you've ever had one of these outfits come after you, thie may make you feel good someone is doing something, albiet too late for the man involved:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/09/17/did-collection-calls-contribute-to-floridians-death/

My family had two experiences in the past few years. One for a past due medical bill that our medical provider told us we could pay $50 monthly on and were, but we got turned into an agency. The first day we were contacted this woman called three times. I wound up screaming at her.
The second was for some alleged old unpaid balance on a credit card neither of us ever recalled having. I wound up telling them to go to hell and sue us, nothing more heard. These agencies have their place, but I cannot imagine doing that for a living.

I feel so badly for this man's widow. The phone call received by them about the helicopter was way over the line of decency, IMO. People fall behind for many reasons and this economy hasn't been good for many, many people.

We were listed as a contact number for a friend (a "reference" on a loan) and I am not kidding you, we got a phone call demanding we have our friend call so and so at such and such while we were on our way home from that friend's funeral. The company continued to call, day after day, wanting to reach our friend, and wouldn't accept the fact he died. I can't imagine having that job...

Before the wonder of caller ID and blocking, any time I picked up the phone and it was a solicitor of some kind I wouldn't hang up on them, I just laid the phone down for 5-10 mins and let them talk to themselves for awhile. Lather, rinse, repeat - until they got the message and left me alone. I liked making them hang up instead.

There is a man in our town that has the same name as my Dad and is hiding from the creditors.

My whole life we have received calls from his creditors looking for him. It's not constant like some cases but they still get calls to this day. Most of the time, they refuse to believe my mom (she usually answers the phone) and make out like she's lying to them.

Since this jerk has unlisted his phone number and my parents are still in the phone book because it's also my mom's home daycare number, they are easy targets.

I told my mom what they should do is find out where this guy lives and write down his street address. Then they should give that info to these creditors when they call us again. I'm sure these companies could use that address to get his real phone number.

The scariest thing of all is that one time my parent's bank sent this man their joint checking account statement by mistake. :sick:

If you've ever had one of these outfits come after you, thie may make you feel good someone is doing something, albiet too late for the man involved:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/09/17/did-collection-calls-contribute-to-floridians-death/

My family had two experiences in the past few years. One for a past due medical bill that our medical provider told us we could pay $50 monthly on and were, but we got turned into an agency. The first day we were contacted this woman called three times. I wound up screaming at her.
The second was for some alleged old unpaid balance on a credit card neither of us ever recalled having. I wound up telling them to go to hell and sue us, nothing more heard. These agencies have their place, but I cannot imagine doing that for a living.

I hope they win this lawsuit. I really do.

We have had debt collectors call on an old debt (20 yrs old!) by someone that has the same first and last name as my Husband.

They terrorized us. Wouldn't take no for an answer, said the only way they would stop calling is if I provided my Husband's social security number to prove he wasn't the one.

Uh Yeah. ~NOT~

I had to contact the Texas State Attn. and begin the proceedings to file a complaint (some states to have laws against this) after they spoke with our youngest child asking questions about where their Father was, what his work number was, did she know her daddy was a liar and a deadbeat?

She had to ask me what a deadbeat meant.

I never had to follow through with the complaint. I informed the next A-hole that called my home my intentions and gave offered to send them a fax of the complaint once I filed out the paperwork.

Never heard from the again. Hmmm.

My ex was/is a deadbeat & I too have horror stories about the ILLEGAL methods DCA's use to "obtain" information...........I too cant imagine doing that for living or how these people live with themselves after a day's work!
Yes there are laws against their illegal behavior but catching them at it is hard!
This story is so sad & unfortunately we are going to see more people being pursued by DCA's so vigorously as well as more aggressive tactics from the DCA's!!!!

My ex was/is a deadbeat & I too have horror stories about the ILLEGAL methods DCA's use to "obtain" information...........I too cant imagine doing that for living or how these people live with themselves after a day's work!
Yes there are laws against their illegal behavior but catching them at it is hard!
This story is so sad & unfortunately we are going to see more people being pursued by DCA's so vigorously as well as more aggressive tactics from the DCA's!!!!

Vespa have you heard about the Zombie Debt DCA's?

This is what I was told was who was contacting us about a debt we didn't even owe.

That the debt this other man (my husband's first and last names are not uncommon in fact, quite common) had was like 20 yrs old.

I was told that these companies purchase debt on the dollar and then proceed to collect (by whatever means) to get their investment back.

Scary! You know, I think this will become a bigger problem as time goes by because of our economy being so bad in certain areas of the country. JMHO.

At the link in the OP, there are a lot of comments. Some are rather insensitive, IMO, calling people who are in debt collections for a debt, deadbeats and the like. Some are sympathetic. Some are calling the collection agencies names. Lots of variety.

I truly believe that many people who end up in debt, don't do so on purpose. Many may just run up bill after bill and never pay anything. I don't know the actual stats. What I wonder is when a person has little or no means to pay a full debt, why do the collection tactics seem to get a little "rough"?

Say that 3 people owe you money, you call them and they say, "I can only send you 5 dollars a week." Do you say, "No, that's not acceptable!" or do you say, "Hey, that sounds good, can I count on that every week?" I am more prone to accept the 5 bucks a week, or a month, in hopes that I'd get paid back at some point.

I'm sure that many debts would take a lifetime to pay back in some cases at the rate of 10 dollars a month, but if you have a thousand customers paying you 10 dollars a month, isn't it better than a thousand customers not paying you a dime? :waitasec:

Vespa have you heard about the Zombie Debt DCA's?

This is what I was told was who was contacting us about a debt we didn't even owe.

That the debt this other man (my husband's first and last names are not uncommon in fact, quite common) had was like 20 yrs old.

I was told that these companies purchase debt on the dollar and then proceed to collect (by whatever means) to get their investment back.

Scary! You know, I think this will become a bigger problem as time goes by because of our economy being so bad in certain areas of the country. JMHO.
Ive had experience with that(I debt that wasnt mine & I was being pursued for it!)but didnt know what it was caleed-PERFECT name! Zombie Debt!!!!!!!!LOL!
I know someone who had a BANKRUPTCY & 2 years after discharge she had DCA's who bought the debt (although it was discharged)from the original creditors & were pursuing her!
I agree this kind of thing is only going to get worse!!!!

Did you know that if you send a written notice to stop calling you and to use mail only they HAVE to or can be fined up to $1000????* There are a number of fair debt collection practices that are actually law and most often the zombie debt collectors do not follow them.*

Shannon2008 the SAME thing happened to us.* We got calls for a man with my husbands name but spelled differently.* My sis even got his # via information once and called his house thinking it was ours (when she didn't have her cell with her).*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back