Garrido's Church

my2sisters

Reaction score
Sex offender Philip Garrido used Jehovahs Witness to get early parole

<snip>
"...Jehovah’s Witnesses take pride in converting the down-and-out, drug addicts, people down on their luck.

In his study The Trumpet of Prophecy: A Sociological Study of Jehovah’s Witnesses sociologist James A. Beckford *(1) theorized that people with low social attachment are more likely to accept the other-world view of a religious cult like the Witnesses. Beckford, who writes on religion and teaches at the University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, found in his 1975 book that the most likely converts to the Jehovahs Witness cult are females in their mid-20’s who are dislocated from society due to a move away from their home location or through multiple child births in close succession.

Similar studies of the members of the Jim Jones cult who committed suicide in the 1970’s showed adherents were poor, dispossessed and looking for a new world order that Jones promised to deliver.

Garrido apparently strayed from Jehovahs Witnesses to form his own religious cult. In 2007, he began blogging under various titles. One blog”The Truth Will Set You Free” is eerily familiar to the insider dialogue of Jehovah’s Witnesses. To those inside the JW sect, the code word for Jehovah’s Witness is “The Truth”. Members use that bible quotation to define themselves as being “in the Truth”, “strong in the Truth” and defectors conversely as “weak in the Truth.”

It was the religious fanaticism that caught Philip and Nancy Garrido. They were spotted handing out religious pamphlets at UCLA Berkeley by police. Under questioning, the police became suspicious of the parolee and sex-offender accompanied by children...."

This article has many inaccuracies, but also some interesting insights into Garrido's cult.

Sex offender Philip Garrido used Jehovahs Witness to get early parole

<snip>
"...Jehovah’s Witnesses take pride in converting the down-and-out, drug addicts, people down on their luck.

In his study The Trumpet of Prophecy: A Sociological Study of Jehovah’s Witnesses sociologist James A. Beckford *(1) theorized that people with low social attachment are more likely to accept the other-world view of a religious cult like the Witnesses. Beckford, who writes on religion and teaches at the University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, found in his 1975 book that the most likely converts to the Jehovahs Witness cult are females in their mid-20’s who are dislocated from society due to a move away from their home location or through multiple child births in close succession.

Similar studies of the members of the Jim Jones cult who committed suicide in the 1970’s showed adherents were poor, dispossessed and looking for a new world order that Jones promised to deliver.

Garrido apparently strayed from Jehovahs Witnesses to form his own religious cult. In 2007, he began blogging under various titles. One blog”The Truth Will Set You Free” is eerily familiar to the insider dialogue of Jehovah’s Witnesses. To those inside the JW sect, the code word for Jehovah’s Witness is “The Truth”. Members use that bible quotation to define themselves as being “in the Truth”, “strong in the Truth” and defectors conversely as “weak in the Truth.”

It was the religious fanaticism that caught Philip and Nancy Garrido. They were spotted handing out religious pamphlets at UCLA Berkeley by police. Under questioning, the police became suspicious of the parolee and sex-offender accompanied by children...."

This article has many inaccuracies, but also some interesting insights into Garrido's cult.

as a christian i find it personally disgusting that these sicko cult leaders and con men like garrido use religion to further there delusions..........and use it to excuse the abuse of there victims like jaycee. may he rot in hell for so many reasons i cant even count............

I could easily see PG eventually becoming another Jim Jones with no followers, but murdering the people living in and around his home. That is, if he were really serious. He seems more like a deranged con man to me.

I could easily see PG eventually becoming another Jim Jones with no followers, but murdering the people living in and around his home. That is, if he were really serious. He seems more like a deranged con man to me.

well i bet cheyynne molino would be a devoted follower

It doesn't say much about the JW or point out how it differs from other religions. Is it really that different? What do they do that sets them apart from other forms of Christianity. And was he ever really a JW?? or did he just tell the parole board that he was.

It doesn't say much about the JW or point out how it differs from other religions. Is it really that different? What do they do that sets them apart from other forms of Christianity. And was he ever really a JW?? or did he just tell the parole board that he was.

whatever he claimed he was he was just using his religion as an excuse to carry out his evil deeds

The Jehovah's Witnesses came out of the Adventist movement of the latter 19th century (which also gave rise to the Seventh Day Adventists).

They follow a strict form of the Old Testament law, modified through their own interpretations, and have a 'Last Days' mentality. They teach, for example, that the resurrection has already taken place, with 144,000 of the faithful having already been raptured to heaven (I believe they say this happened in 1914). So they don't believe any members of the JW church today will go to heaven - they, instead, teach that their followers will inherit the Earth after armegeddon, which will be happening "any day now". Everyone else will be annihilated, since they don't believe in hell.

They also do not believe Jesus is God, or believe in the Trinity - they believe in one father God, Jehovah. I'm not sure what they do with the Holy Spirit.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are most notorious for refusing blood transfusions, since some passages in the bible indicate that 'blood should not be eaten'. They are also contientious objectors to military service and refuse to salute government flags. This has brought them into conflict with other nations, who have restricted or banned the movement. But it follows their beliefs that society is morally corrupt and they need to separate themselves from it to be pure.

They run the Watchtower Tract society, and are also known for going door to door sharing their version of the gospel. They also have their own version of the bible, which has some passages that would have been re-written/re-translated so as to reflect a non-trinitarian view.

Here's their website:

http://www.watchtower.org/

There are many cult-watch websites about the JWs - here's one I found at random:

http://www.carm.org/religious-movements/jehovahs-witnesses

The wikipedia article is probably a bit more neutral:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

And here is an article discussing their policies on child sex abuse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses_and_child_sex_abuse

ED: And the organization Silent Lambs, seems to be bringing out information about child abuse and murders done by followers of JW:

http://www.silentlambs.org/

Hope this helps!

whatever he claimed he was he was just using his religion as an excuse to carry out his evil deeds

so true. and the terrible irony of his 'church' having 5 members -- 3 of them captive maybe even 4? ALL of the 'membership' considering the fact that 'god' is cheating by including himself on the paid roster. :innocent:

heck, those JW links are frightening. thanks for posting them smg, very informative. I had no idea they were so heavily drawn into the lives of the families and child abuse seems to be a recurring theme. it made me recall something I read recently that drew a link a link between the Watchtower and mind control (cults).
http://www.freeminds.org/psychology...atchtower-lifton-s-eight-points-examined.html

will have to track it down. was a good read

is there a thread somewhere that looks a religionin Garrido's background... like what religion is his mother? his father? his stepfather... etc... same with Nancy. was she a child in this cult? would be handy info to have on hand.

so true. and the terrible irony of his 'church' having 5 members -- 3 of them captive maybe even 4? ALL of the 'membership' considering the fact that 'god' is cheating by including himself on the paid roster. :innocent:

heck, those JW links are frightening. thanks for posting them smg, very informative. I had no idea they were so heavily drawn into the lives of the families and child abuse seems to be a recurring theme. it made me recall something I read recently that drew a link a link between the Watchtower and mind control (cults).
http://www.freeminds.org/psychology...atchtower-lifton-s-eight-points-examined.html

will have to track it down. was a good read

is there a thread somewhere that looks a religionin Garrido's background... like what religion is his mother? his father? his stepfather... etc... same with Nancy. was she a child in this cult? would be handy info to have on hand.

cant say what his parents were. but nancy i think was a jehovas witness before she met garrido?

Has it ever been posted or publicized as to just what was in the religious tracts which PG wanted to pass out that day in Berkeley? Were they typical JW Watchtowers or were they specific to his "church" or invention?

I, too, am a Christian and do not believe or agree with many of the tenets of the JW. However, I think to be respectful, we need to be careful not to misalign a religious group in any way because of PG. I would think we have at least a few posters and/or guests who are JW who are appalled by the connection to their faith.

Has it ever been posted or publicized as to just what was in the religious tracts which PG wanted to pass out that day in Berkeley? Were they typical JW Watchtowers or were they specific to his "church" or invention?

I, too, am a Christian and do not believe or agree with many of the tenets of the JW. However, I think to be respectful, we need to be careful not to misalign a religious group in any way because of PG. I would think we have at least a few posters and/or guests who are JW who are appalled by the connection to their faith.

i agree. this isnt about jehovas witnesses the same way jones town and waco werent about religion. it's about a lunatic sex predator con man who victimies women and children and uses religion to do hide behind

I feel as if I'm being a bit hypocritical here as I just stated that we need to move cautiously when discussing the possible, if any, connection to JW. As I sat here and thought, though, something came to mind. Because of our family's experience with child rape (several of our children were tortured, also), I constantly bookmark articles concerning child trauma. I went back and looked over my bookmarks and I found one that bothered me. The living conditions jumped out at me. It is in the silentlambs category and the link is:

http://www.silentlambs.org/fostermother.htm

I ran through it and was struck by some similarities with JC's case. I'll just put it out there and let everyone else see what they think. I agree with KBL and that this case is not about religion. It's about a predator.....and his wife.

If anyone thinks this is inappropriate, I'll remove it immediately.

I feel as if I'm being a bit hypocritical here as I just stated that we need to move cautiously when discussing the possible, if any, connection to JW. As I sat here and thought, though, something came to mind. Because of our family's experience with child rape (several of our children were tortured, also), I constantly bookmark articles concerning child trauma. I went back and looked over my bookmarks and I found one that bothered me. The living conditions jumped out at me. It is in the silentlambs category and the link is:

http://www.silentlambs.org/fostermother.htm

I ran through it and was struck by some similarities with JC's case. I'll just put it out there and let everyone else see what they think. I agree with KBL and that this case is not about religion. It's about a predator.....and his wife.

If anyone thinks this is inappropriate, I'll remove it immediately.

well that was nauseating.
notice it went unoticed for almost 20 years too?
wonder what other horrors jayce will tell other then the obvious ones

Nauseating is the word. Lord, I'm sitting here so sick to my stomach and really rattled. I did some research and found numerous online links to interviews and personal writings of Spry's victim, Alloma Gilbert. Alloma is amazingly strong and articulate. She wants her story told. She's even written a book.

I can hardly wrap my mind around the fact that Spry only got 14 years. If you read any of Alloma's writing, you will get an insider's view on how she survived. The strength of the human spirit never ceases to humble me.

Nauseating is the word. Lord, I'm sitting here so sick to my stomach and really rattled. I did some research and found numerous online links to interviews and personal writings of Spry's victim, Alloma Gilbert. Alloma is amazingly strong and articulate. She wants her story told. She's even written a book.

I can hardly wrap my mind around the fact that Spry only got 14 years. If you read any of Alloma's writing, you will get an insider's view on how she survived. The strength of the human spirit never ceases to humble me.

sadly i think courts only throw the book at them good if the victim(s) is dead. they dont seem to realize that the survivors have to deal with what was done with them the rest of there lives.........

Years ago, I did research on cults, specifically, The Process Church. They were a spin-off of Scientology as far as their doctrine, but the actions of the founding members was much different than what the public or their members saw. This is typical of cults and I don't doubt typical of Garrido's religious cult. It's scary to think what could have happened had he been able to get more followers.

Years ago, I did research on cults, specifically, The Process Church. They were a spin-off of Scientology as far as their doctrine, but the actions of the founding members was much different than what the public or their members saw. This is typical of cults and I don't doubt typical of Garrido's religious cult. It's scary to think what could have happened had he been able to get more followers.

for all we know there ARE More followers. if so, jaycee the girls, her mom an her sister maybe better off in seclusion anyways

I'm guessing it was the same garbage that's in his "FBI Manifesto" and his Voices Blog, how he claims a connection between hearing voices, religion, and curbing his urges.:sick::sick::sick:

LinasK--That's what I'm guessing too. I just wondered if anyone had seen this revealed in the media. It would be awfully interesting to see what the tract actually covered. There's probably people on campus who have a copy which he handed out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back