Disturbing LA quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFW

Reaction score
In listening to one of LA's interviews I noticed a disturbing quote that caught my attention and hadn't noticed before - "the trunk was open, the windows were rolled down to what I assume was to ventilate the horrible smell i had just (laughter) smelled for the first time..."

It just feels very odd that he would make this statement. It wasn't asked and seems so out of place when you think about it. Also, I know he has a nervous laugh but I always wondered if it occurs more when he is about to lie.

In listening to one of LA's interview I noticed a disturbing quote that caught my attention and hadn't noticed before - "the trunk was open, the windows were rolled down to what I assume was to ventilate the horrible smell i had just (laughter) smelled for the first time..."

It just feels very odd that he would make this statement. It wasn't asked and seems so out of place when you think about it. Also, I know he has a nervous laugh but I always wondered if it occurs more when he is about to lie.

SFW: do you think that LA was in the pontiac post Caylee's murder? Or do you think LA was meaning to say what people keep repeating....like, "once you smell that smell for the very first time you'll never, ever forget it"?:yuck::ghost::borgsmile:

Or was he meaning that he went out and repeatedly smelled that smell just because he couldn't (laugh) believe how horrible it was.....ahem.....or who it was?

SFW: do you think that LA was in the pontiac post Caylee's murder? Or do you think LA was meaning to say what people keep repeating....like, "once you smell that smell for the very first time you'll never, ever forget it"?:yuck::ghost::borgsmile:

Or was he meaning that he went out and repeatedly smelled that smell just because he couldn't (laugh) believe how horrible it was.....ahem.....or who it was?

Good point and it could mean any of the above. The reasons it stood out to me is becaus he said "the first time". To me, it did not seem that he was stating that he had smelled it many times after that but that is just my opinion. I just wonder why he felt it neccessary to specify that it was the first time.

SFW, I noticed that the first time I saw and heard that video of him as well. How could he laugh knowing that most likely that was Caylee? Way beyond my comprehension.

SFW, I noticed that the first time I saw and heard that video of him as well. How could he laugh knowing that most likely that was Caylee? Way beyond my comprehension.

Beyond mine as well. I'm a nervous person by nature and can definitely understand a nervous laugh, however when discussing such a tragedy i can't imagine being nervous, just devasted.

When I was a kid, my mom would always know when i was lying because i couldn't help but smile. On the other hand, i never smiled (or laughed) when discussing something tragic. In short, I believe that lying often causes a nervous reaction whether it be laughter, sweating, a twitch, etc. With that said, everyone is different and it is hard to judge someone on how they react to any situation.

Further, I think it may be possible to somewhat elimate the theory that he may have been referring to the thought that "once you smell that smell for the very first time you'll never, ever forget it" - This would mean that he was accepting that it was the smell of death and I don't think that he was.

There's another saying, "If I didn't laugh about it, I'd cry". Said that alot of times myself in my years. Alot.

I personally have never smelled the smell of human decomposition, but have read and heard enough over the years to know that I would KNOW IT. I'm no detective, and I'm certainly not a nurse of decomposition, but we all know that anyone with an IQ over 29 would be able to LABEL THAT SMELL.

Lee's consistant, repetitive, nervous, ill-timed laughing disturbs me alot. But the entire Anthony FAMILY disturbs me alot, too. And I haven't laughed once about any of this evil .

We know, and they know, and we KNOW that they KNOW, that that smell WAS CAYLEE. No doubt about it.

In listening to one of LA's interview I noticed a disturbing quote that caught my attention and hadn't noticed before - "the trunk was open, the windows were rolled down to what I assume was to ventilate the horrible smell i had just (laughter) smelled for the first time..."

It was brought up a lot when the interview initially came out. It is really weird, and I am one of those that believe that lee has some sort of mental issue....either way the Anthonys talk really weird anyway, so who knows what he meant by that.

The smell is just so unique and like nothing else though, that it may be noteworthy to say you've never smelled it before. That would be a normal explanation I guess, but with the A clan..........who can really tell.

It was brought up a lot when the interview initially came out. It is really weird, and I am one of those that believe that lee has some sort of mental issue....either way the Anthonys talk really weird anyway, so who knows what he meant by that.

The smell is just so unique and like nothing else though, that it may be noteworthy to say you've never smelled it before. That would be a normal explanation I guess, but with the A clan..........who can really tell.

This definitely is seeming like a possible reason and it does make sense that it would be noteworthy. I guess it just struck me in kind of the way that some have stated unecessary things during a 911 call that support an alibi or profess innocence.

Agreed... and trust me, a majority of our hinky meters went off when he stated that. (I love saying that word!)

When I heard that I thought he was 'being untruthful' but so what does that mean? That he HAD smelled that smell before? If so, where and when?

That took me to some odd thoughts and speculations.. has something similar to this situation happened before in this family? Have they smelt death before? Was there another death previous to this one? I suppose I am just speculating rather wildly, based on precious little evidence or reason to suspect, but it was my thought at the time I first heard that interview.

I hadn't thought about the possibility that he had been in or near the car before to smell it. Hmmm...

My initial thought was that the laughter was nervous disbelief...like he was being honest about what happened that day and obviously noticed the smell...he noted that it was "the first time" which, to me, implies that it was unlike any other smell he'd experienced before...but at the same time afraid to admit that's what he thought or scared to let himself believe that his crazy sister really killed Caylee.

Kind of the way someone jokes about something big like that they are broke or their husband is about to leave them...and they do that nervous laugh to act like they are just kidding but you can tell there's fear of it being true behind the laugh.

Also, that he may have been used to hysterical dramatic phone calls from his mom and sister and expected to walk into that again. When he entered the garage and smelled the car, I think he realized this was on a whole new level, and that George wasn't being melodramatic when he told Lee to get over there fast.

Lee knew that day that it was BAD and he was bracing himself for what came next. I still don't really think he was in on it during the prior month, but I think he knows Casey well enough that he immediately understood the gravity of the situation and knew she had really screwed up this time.

I think it meant that HE had just smelled it for the first time, because his parents had already smelled it and must have told him about it.

Hello WS :)

What interview is that quote from? I had not seen that. I just posted Lee's interview this week in the thread of that name.

Lee Anthony interview: 7/29/08

LE:Uh, number eleven being the two dead squirrel incident.
LA: Uh-hum
LE: ...or the information uhm, I want to touch up uhm, tell me about that. Uh, let's see Casey did a, oh you questioned the (inaudible) because of the smell of the car.
LA: Right
LE: Okay tell me about that.
LA: Casey had uhm, uh, uh, advised me on the 15th while I was waiting to till out my statement before I could go to Tony's to pick up Casey's stuff. Uhm, I was in the garage because they had separated my folks from my sister. I sat in the garage with my sister.
LE: With the car right there?
LA: With the car right there. And it was atrocious.
LE: Uh-hum
LA: Uhm, and I couldn't be there any more for a minute or two and I had to keep going back inside because the smell was so bad. Uhm, I sat down with her and uh, when I referenced the car smell she said, "Well it, it actually started around mom's birthday" when, uhm, which is again June 5th. She said, "It started around that time when uhm, two dead squirrels crawled up under the hood of the car uhm, you know and, and they died in there."

LA: Dad went down to get the car, when he got the car...
LE: Who'd he, who'd he take with?
LA: Who did he take with him?
LE: Yeah
LA: No one to my knowledge.
LE: Well, he he was just going to have them tow it back to the house and then...
LA: I'm pretty sure that's what he had them do, yes.
LE: Yeah because if he drove down there he'd...
LA: Oh, no. I take that back. Uhm, my mother and father told me that my dad actually drove the car back because my mother was talking about how she didn't know how my dad survived it because the smell was so bad.

...jmo...

IIRC, KC didn't start the "squirrel theory" until late in the game (late June) and well after the deed was done, it's interesting to see how she references "Well, it actually started around Mom's birthday" meaning around June 5, when talking to LA.

While we know KC consciously lies sometimes she also lets little bits of truth leak out either subconsciously (or perhaps on purpose) - like her suspicious line to the bailbond team about LE not having found Caylee's clothes yet.

IMO, it's significant that, when talking to a family member, she dates the start of all the troubles to around CA's birthday (instead of sticking with her original timeline for Amy), which we have already speculated was a week fraught with tensions or arguments, most likely having to do with her responsibilities as a mother, her lack of employment and a lot of other stuff that may have culminated on the nuclear one June 15.

Hello WS :)

LA: Uhm, and I couldn't be there any more for a minute or two and I had to keep going back inside because the smell was so bad. Uhm, I sat down with her and uh, when I referenced the car smell she said, "Well it, it actually started around mom's birthday" when, uhm, which is again June 5th. She said, "It started around that time when uhm, two dead squirrels crawled up under the hood of the car uhm, you know and, and they died in there." [/B]

*snipped to point*

I'd like to point something out on this portion of Lee's interview. It shows YET ANOTHER LIE!!! of CA's. Remember how she fixates on a key ring or lanyard that is "missing". The one with a heart or shamrock or something on it and she says it was in the car and after LE left it was missing. She says "KC never had the opportunity to get anything out of that car".

Wrong again, Cindy, wrong again.

Lee states he repeatedly had to leave the garage. He does not state KC followed him around. In fact, I think it is a safe assumption she stayed in the garage because he explicitly states they were in the garage because LE had separated her from her parents.

Does anyone recall whether LA laughed inappropriately or frequently during his secretly taped meeting with Tony in the car?

Does anyone recall whether LA laughed inappropriately or frequently during his secretly taped meeting with Tony in the car?

I'd have to go back and listen, but yes I'm pretty sure he was laughing during that too. At least during how he talked about escaping the media...

*snipped to point*

Lee states he repeatedly had to leave the garage. He does not state KC followed him around. In fact, I think it is a safe assumption she stayed in the garage because he explicitly states they were in the garage because LE had separated her from her parents.

Quoting myself to add - that and she didn't need fresh air. She was used to smelling it, unlike Lee who was "smelling it for the first time".

I think this is a really great thread. A lot can be learned in hindsight by rereading these LE interviews.

Casey did have the opportunity to retrieve her "work ID."
Casey changed her story and told Lee the odor started around Cindy's b-day!

Wow! I wonder what else we might find. This is all very interesting! Good sleuthing!

I think it meant that HE had just smelled it for the first time, because his parents had already smelled it and must have told him about it.

That's what I thought.

BTW-- I guess we've all leaned that if we see any dead squirrels running around the yard, it's best to close the garage door. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100