1301 users online (269 members and 1032 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Ozarks
    Posts
    498

    MO - Peter Newman for sexual abusing children, Branson, 2009

    A former assistant camp director at church based Kanukuk Kamp in Branson has been charged with several sex offenses involving children.

    Taney County prosecutor Jeff Merrell says that the investigation of 33 year-old Pete Newman began six months ago when someone made a hot line call about Newman and his alleged sexual involvement with underage kids.


    http://crimesceneinvestigations.blogspot.com/2009/09/former-kamp-kanukuk-camp-director.html
    Don't confront me with my failures.....I had not forgotten them.

    Jackson Browne

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,380
    I wonder if his "confession" letter was BEFORE or AFTER the investigation started???
    Im also curious as to how long there were rumors about him as his grooming is 'textbook'& Im sure he & had some "hit & misses"with victims & people DO talk........
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  3. #3
    Ruflossn's Avatar
    Ruflossn is offline "Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.", ~ George Bernard Shaw ~
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by VespaElf View Post
    I wonder if his "confession" letter was BEFORE or AFTER the investigation started???
    Im also curious as to how long there were rumors about him as his grooming is 'textbook'& Im sure he & had some "hit & misses"with victims & people DO talk........
    His confession letter was after the investigation began. I know this man. Or maybe, I should say, I know this monster. I had NO idea he was a sexual predator. I consider myself a fairly good judge of character. I consider myself well versed in the areas of crime etc..... Again, I had no idea the hell this monster was creating in the young lives of the youth in which he was entrusted. His next court date is October 28th. He has pleaded not guilty. Rumor is, he pleaded not guilty just so he can have room for a plea bargain. I hope he finally becomes a 'real man' and admits his guilt so that the boys he has assaulted will not have to testify in court.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruflossn View Post
    His confession letter was after the investigation began. I know this man. Or maybe, I should say, I know this monster. I had NO idea he was a sexual predator. I consider myself a fairly good judge of character. I consider myself well versed in the areas of crime etc..... Again, I had no idea the hell this monster was creating in the young lives of the youth in which he was entrusted. His next court date is October 28th. He has pleaded not guilty. Rumor is, he pleaded not guilty just so he can have room for a plea bargain. I hope he finally becomes a 'real man' and admits his guilt so that the boys he has assaulted will not have to testify in court.
    Are you saying you know him and are surprised by these charges or you know him and always thought something was "off"??

    B/c if you had no idea, then I think your post is important for people to realize that even suspicious minds (like us at WS) can't JUST trust our gut when it comes to our children's safety.

    OTOH, if you thought something was wrong about him but didn't know what, then I think that it would be interesting to look for what made you dislike him. Maybe there were cues that you couldn't specifically name except in hindsight which would be helpful to know about.

    I hope you knowing him has no connection to any child you know. Praying for his victims and their families...what a nightmare.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    9,164
    Yikes! My kids went to Kanukuk (but before this guy's time.)
    It's a Christian/Sports camp -- kind of intense in both aspects. I can see how a child molester could thrive there -- lots of one-on-one attention.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,979
    Things like this, not to mention BTK and others in the "church" are why I won't step foot in a "church" building. I much prefer a one-on-one with God to rubbing elbows with perverts in the next pew.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,097
    This really makes you realize that just because its a christian organization doesnt make it safe which a lot of people do think. Its so sad that you really cant trust that your kids are safe anywhere.

  8. #8
    Ruflossn's Avatar
    Ruflossn is offline "Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.", ~ George Bernard Shaw ~
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    Are you saying you know him and are surprised by these charges or you know him and always thought something was "off"??

    B/c if you had no idea, then I think your post is important for people to realize that even suspicious minds (like us at WS) can't JUST trust our gut when it comes to our children's safety.

    OTOH, if you thought something was wrong about him but didn't know what, then I think that it would be interesting to look for what made you dislike him. Maybe there were cues that you couldn't specifically name except in hindsight which would be helpful to know about.

    I hope you knowing him has no connection to any child you know. Praying for his victims and their families...what a nightmare.
    I had no idea he was sexual predator. He was charming, kind, and personable. My child attends Kanakuk. However she did not attend K-Kountry. (where Pete was a Director).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,859
    It is guys like this, is why we have the search able data base list, that they have to register with. So no matter where they move, they will not be able to work with possible future victims.

    Some folks think the data base is there so the public can harrass these folks. Such persons are not only wrong, they are making a case for why these monsters need protection and that the public shouldn't have access to that data base.

    I'm thankful for that data base. We learned a new neighbor was on it. While I try to teach my kids to always be weary, kids don't aways listen. With this guy, I was able to bluntly state.. to stay away, and why. Not to harrass him, etc. My kids were like "Ok, thanks." And that was it. Bus stop at the end of our street, no way he could 'case' that stop. EVERYONE would notice.

    I rather have one out in the open, so we can keep eye on them, to help keep them honest.. then one not figure out yet.... still out there making victims.

    Being clean cut, attending church, does NOT mean the person is a Good Person. Sadly, many folks thinks it does. While the nasty looking person is always guilty.
    Just my opinion.....
    Finally found a reason for the Ignore feature!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Things like this, not to mention BTK and others in the "church" are why I won't step foot in a "church" building. I much prefer a one-on-one with God to rubbing elbows with perverts in the next pew.
    With that logic you would never let your kids join scouts or any sports teams, go to school or camp, or spend time with anyone but you since molesters have been coaches, teachers, den leaders, camp counselors, and most often trusted relatives.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,479
    June 2010:

    A former camp counselor who pleaded guilty to sexually abusing several children received two life sentences plus 30 years in prison on Wednesday...

    According to court records, Newman enticed children to join him for "Bible studies" in a hot tub...

    Newman's eight charges ultimately involved activity with six children. However, Merrell said after the sentencing that Newman had admitted to sexual activity with 13 other children as well. Many families chose not to get involved...

    Newman also spoke to the judge and apologized for his actions.

    "I was supposed to model Christ and I didn't," he said, fighting back tears. "I made him look bad."
    http://archive.news-leader.com/article/20106100368


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,479
    October 2015:

    A lawsuit has been filed against Kanakuk Heritage, Inc., Kanakuk Ministries and camp owner and president Joe White in Taney County Associate Circuit Court....

    According to the documents, Kanakuk and its president knew of the sexual abuse, but did nothing to stop it or prevent it.

    The suit is the latest of several that have been filed against the company and Newman since Newman was sentenced in 2010.
    Much, much more here:
    http://m.bransontrilakesnews.com/mob...4b6c225f5.html



Similar Threads

  1. MO - couple accused of abusing 5 children
    By peeples in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 05:05 PM
  2. FL - Man charged with abusing 3 children
    By MorenoI in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
  3. GUILTY Switzerland - Man admits sexually abusing 100+ disabled children, Bern, 2010
    By songline in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Tags for this Thread