Peterson adding to his defense team

Link

(CNN) -- Former Illinois police officer Drew Peterson has changed up his defense team two months before the murder trial in his third wife's death is scheduled to begin.

Joining the defense team is Joseph Lopez, a veteran trial attorney nicknamed "The Shark." He is known in legal circles and among mafia buffs for representing some of Chicago's most notorious mobsters.

Peterson lost two other attorneys last week after they filed motions asking to withdraw from the case, citing "irreconcilable differences" with lead attorney Joel Brodsky.

Brodsky said the shakeup would not affect the trial's June start date.

Well this is a positive PR move for Drew. :loser:

Hmmm, wonder what the "irreconcilable differences" were? I imagine Drew to be pretty tough to work with/for.

This is one person that I can't wait to see get his just desserts. I hope he never sees the outside walls of a prison again when this is all said and done.

This is one person that I can't wait to see get his just desserts. I hope he never sees the outside walls of a prison again when this is all said and done.
You're not alone on your hopes. It just can't happen soon enough for me.

Adding this to the thread, as it relates to more lawyers for Drew.

Two more big names join Peterson defense team

Published: 4/22/2010 5:27 PM | Updated: 4/23/2010 12:17 AM

They don't have cool nicknames like "The Shark," but two other high-profile Chicago attorneys known for their aggressive courtroom styles are joining the Drew Peterson defense team.

Attorneys Steven A. Greenberg and Ralph E. Meczyk are expected to file their appearances by Monday to defend the former Bolingbrook police sergeant on charges he killed his third wife as the former couple neared a financial settlement in their divorce.

Both attorneys have handled dozens of murder trials in their lengthy legal careers.

Most notably, Meczyk defended former Chicago police officer Anthony Doyle in the landmark Family Secrets federal mob trial. And, late last year, Greenberg represented triple killer Brian Dugan for the infamous 1983 sex slaying of Jeanine Nicarico of Naperville.

*snip*

Jury selection is slated to begin June 14, but the trial may be delayed if prosecutors appeal Will Circuit Judge Stephen White's anticipated ruling regarding the admissibility of about one dozen hearsay statements.

"The passing of a law designed to convict a specific person makes this a witch hunt; that offends my sense of justice," Greenberg said of a recent hearsay law sparked by the Peterson case. "I look forward to the challenge of ensuring Drew gets a fair trial and is found not guilty."

http://dailyherald.com/story/?id=375396

**Interesting that Drew now has another "mob" attorney and one who defended someone in a very high profile Illinois case. (ie. the Nicarico case)

Adding this to the thread, as it relates to more lawyers for Drew.

Two more big names join Peterson defense team

Published: 4/22/2010 5:27 PM | Updated: 4/23/2010 12:17 AM

They don't have cool nicknames like "The Shark," but two other high-profile Chicago attorneys known for their aggressive courtroom styles are joining the Drew Peterson defense team.

Attorneys Steven A. Greenberg and Ralph E. Meczyk are expected to file their appearances by Monday to defend the former Bolingbrook police sergeant on charges he killed his third wife as the former couple neared a financial settlement in their divorce.

Both attorneys have handled dozens of murder trials in their lengthy legal careers.

Most notably, Meczyk defended former Chicago police officer Anthony Doyle in the landmark Family Secrets federal mob trial. And, late last year, Greenberg represented triple killer Brian Dugan for the infamous 1983 sex slaying of Jeanine Nicarico of Naperville.

*snip*

Jury selection is slated to begin June 14, but the trial may be delayed if prosecutors appeal Will Circuit Judge Stephen White's anticipated ruling regarding the admissibility of about one dozen hearsay statements.

"The passing of a law designed to convict a specific person makes this a witch hunt; that offends my sense of justice," Greenberg said of a recent hearsay law sparked by the Peterson case. "I look forward to the challenge of ensuring Drew gets a fair trial and is found not guilty."

http://dailyherald.com/story/?id=375396

**Interesting that Drew now has another "mob" attorney and one who defended someone in a very high profile Illinois case. (ie. the Nicarico case)

Where is he getting the money to pay for these guys? :waitasec:

Where is he getting the money to pay for these guys? :waitasec:

I think it's more of a fame thing. Maybe they are pro bono. They certainly can't be doing it because DP is such a "great guy."

ETA: I bet I know what it is....to be the first attorneys to win against the new Illinois hearsay law. *note to them....ya ain't gonna win. :)

Thanks for the update Steely Dan. And Wonders, ITA, also hoping general population is where he will reside right along with everyone else he helped send away! :angel:

Interesting! Esp. since there has been rumors in the past that DrewP may have had some mob connections.

Where did he get the money for them? LOL, probably from the money that he allegedly killed Kathleen in order to get.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back