794 users online (107 members and 687 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96
Results 1,426 to 1,436 of 1436
    Quote Originally Posted by Noirdame79 View Post
    This scene taken from the 1984 miniseries Fatal Vision based on the true crime book of the same title, shows how the murders took place and the blood typing and how it proves MacDonald did it.
    (snipped by me for space)

That was my defacto favorite scene in the entire miniseries. It summed up the forensic blood evidencein a way that was quite compelling and certainly not something to be dismissed.

Thank you for posting this scene.

I live less than a mile from this duplex and have driven and ran by it many times. Technically, 544 Castle Drive no longer exists since they have changed the address numbers, but obviously the home is still there. In fact recently on a nighttime run I ran through the housing just past the back door where he threw out the murder weapons after the crime. That entire night I could not stop thinking about the actions he took in what turned out to be the entire family's moments inside of that home (Jeff included).
    But I just wanted to say that I have taken much time to read "Fatal Vision", "Final Vision", and am nearly through Errol Morris' "Wilderness of Error" as although after reading "Fatal Vision" I was certain of his guilt, I still believe in being fair when listening to the other side. Ironically enough, in a book that is meant to exonerate MacDonald I read some fascinating details about the crime itself that further cemented my belief in his culpability. Specifically Morris tells of circumstances surrounding two year-old Kristen's death. There were stab wounds to her chest that did not exist on the top that she was wearing. Meaning, the perpetrator lifted up her shirt in order to aim for vital organs in preparation of the assault. And guess what her Father's profession was...
    The fact of this case has always been that Jeffrey MacDonald left his signature all over the crime scene. For instance, the pajama threads under Colette's body, the pajama threads next to the headboard where "PIG" was written in blood, furthermore the latex glove that was used was found to come from a box of latex gloves from underneath the sink. His bloody footprint, his hair, his blood in the bathroom above the sink, etc. It is also incontrovertible that every item surrounding the crime was organic to the home itself, including the murder weapons.
    Now I am not even a lawyer and can tell you that seeing as how he has already been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he selfishly slaughtered his own wife and children, the vulnerable humans that he was designed to protect; the only way he is to be granted a new trial is for his lawyers to establish a strong "Denny Defense". That is they simply must prove Jeff's innocence by proving the guilt of another. That is what I am certain they do not have. His lawyers are haphazardly foolish and reckless with this "evidence doesn't match my client" campaign. It simply will not matter if it doesn't match Jeff. The bottom line is if this new evidence does not match at least a historical person of interest in this case then they are again wasting everyone's time. Just like one of the prosecutors said just last week how there was dog's hair found in one of the child's bedroom when the MacDonalds did not own a dog, so are we to believe the dog was an intruder? These far-reaching defensive fantasies are all far too simple to dispel. Frankly, as a father of two daughters that have the exact same age spread as Kimberly and Kristin and are nearly their same age, I wonder how he was not even considered for the death penalty, especially in North Carolina. I really wouldn't mind seeing him get a new trial if the appropriate death penalty was on the table. I really believe the only reason why he continues to plead innocence was because when he devised this plan he felt he did it so meticulously that it was just never in the plan for him to even be reproached. In his arrogance he knew the story would work, and it did for nearly a decade. So ever since they did begin to accuse him through good detective work (albeit mostly circumstantial), he had a pre-programmed denial mechanism in place because it was never supposed to happen to him like that.
    Another startling little-known fact about this case pertains to the March 1970 copy of Esquire found just underneath the side of the top-heavy coffee table... Many know of the Sharon Tate/Charles Manson article featured in said magazine however, just three days before the MacDonald family is massacred Jeff is verbalizing this story to a Lieutenant friend of his talking about how crazy it is what had happened. Again, just three days before the same thing just happened to him.
    I am sorry ladies and gentleman but I stopped by this evening to say coincidences do not exist. Signing off...

Great post, fatdumplins! I'm right there with you as so many others are here on WS -- and, of course, many, many more folks elsewhere. Re the death penalty: Although the trial was held in NC, it was the Feds who prosecuted, so that may be the reason that DP was not on the table.

I lived about 30 miles away at the time the murders occurred -- it was the talk of the town. Our next-door neighbors were a retired Army Colonel & his wife. They had lived as a young couple in the same housing area where the MacDonald family lived, but not at the same time. I remember her telling my mom and me that the walls in those apts were paper-thin -- she said you could hear a sneeze, a cough, a toilet flush, a dog bark and even raised voices from the next-door apt -- that was one big reason that the retired couple were sure MacD was guilty. I have never forgotten that little story. And one more thing...

to

Websleuths,

fatdumplins !!!

We are glad to have you with us!!

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

Thank you borendom. I've lurked this forum for a couple of years and today finally decided to hopefully share some insight. I guess the perpetually renewed MacDonald news launched me. You mention the thin walls within the housing at the time. I do remember testimony from the neighbor of the duplex that stated she had just heard a man's voice. Nothing surprising there, but interesting that no one in 47 years has been able to forensically put anyone other than the habitants in that house. Not even Helena Stoeckley herself. There has never been one scintilla of evidence that points to an foreign entity tied to the crime itself. Again as a father of two young daughters myself, the Eastburn murders that took place very close as well haunt me nearly everyday as well. The odd thing about that case is that there actually was forensic evidence in the Summerhill home that points away from Hennis, yet here we are talking about Jeff MacDonald still trying to get a new trial. That boy is as guilty as the dickens.

Yep, and I remember MacD saying that he heard Collette saying, "Jeff, Jeff, why are they doing this to me?" (while they were beating & stabbing the life out of her??). And the prosecutor (whom I know & I have spoken with him about this just a bit) saying something like, "That isn't very different that her saying, 'Jeff, Jeff, why are you doing this to me?'"

You can fool some of the people some of the time...

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

This was one of the 2 cases (the other the Manson murders) that got way down deep in my soul and probably launched my interest in true crime. I was too young to remember either of these cases at the time they occurred, but reading books about the cases, and seeing each case's miniseries, definitely haunted me.

To this day I can't see Gary Cole in any role and not think of him as MacDonald since he played him to perfection in the miniseries. And he's been in lots of TV series lately, he's so good.

Inmate NEEDS to give it up. He is guilty, there is no "new evidence" that has not already been disproven.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine74 View Post
    (snipped by me for space)

That was my defacto favorite scene in the entire miniseries. It summed up the forensic blood evidencein a way that was quite compelling and certainly not something to be dismissed.

Thank you for posting this scene.
    I first saw the miniseries when it aired on A&E and I made the mistake of watching it alone - not my smartest move! I agree, it is compelling and Gary Cole was spot on in his portrayal; Freddy Kassab stated that Cole's portrayal of MacDonald gave him chills. The rest of the cast was also excellent. I'm surprised that it hasn't been officially released on DVD.

Fatal Vision (1984) Starring Karl Malden (Freddy Kassab), Eva Marie Saint (Mildred Kassab), Gary Cole (Jeffrey MacDonald), Wendy Schaal (Colette MacDonald), Brandy Gold (Kimberely MacDonald, age 5), and Dylan Galer (Kristen MacDonald). The tragic Judith Barsi, whose own fate sadly mirrored that of this case, played Kimberely as a toddler.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdumplins View Post
    I live less than a mile from this duplex and have driven and ran by it many times. Technically, 544 Castle Drive no longer exists since they have changed the address numbers, but obviously the home is still there. In fact recently on a nighttime run I ran through the housing just past the back door where he threw out the murder weapons after the crime. That entire night I could not stop thinking about the actions he took in what turned out to be the entire family's moments inside of that home (Jeff included).

But I just wanted to say that I have taken much time to read "Fatal Vision", "Final Vision", and am nearly through Errol Morris' "Wilderness of Error" as although after reading "Fatal Vision" I was certain of his guilt, I still believe in being fair when listening to the other side. Ironically enough, in a book that is meant to exonerate MacDonald I read some fascinating details about the crime itself that further cemented my belief in his culpability. Specifically Morris tells of circumstances surrounding two year-old Kristen's death. There were stab wounds to her chest that did not exist on the top that she was wearing. Meaning, the perpetrator lifted up her shirt in order to aim for vital organs in preparation of the assault. And guess what her Father's profession was...

The fact of this case has always been that Jeffrey MacDonald left his signature all over the crime scene. For instance, the pajama threads under Colette's body, the pajama threads next to the headboard where "PIG" was written in blood, furthermore the latex glove that was used was found to come from a box of latex gloves from underneath the sink. His bloody footprint, his hair, his blood in the bathroom above the sink, etc. It is also incontrovertible that every item surrounding the crime was organic to the home itself, including the murder weapons.

Now I am not even a lawyer and can tell you that seeing as how he has already been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he selfishly slaughtered his own wife and children, the vulnerable humans that he was designed to protect; the only way he is to be granted a new trial is for his lawyers to establish a strong "Denny Defense". That is they simply must prove Jeff's innocence by proving the guilt of another. That is what I am certain they do not have. His lawyers are haphazardly foolish and reckless with this "evidence doesn't match my client" campaign. It simply will not matter if it doesn't match Jeff. The bottom line is if this new evidence does not match at least a historical person of interest in this case then they are again wasting everyone's time. Just like one of the prosecutors said just last week how there was dog's hair found in one of the child's bedroom when the MacDonalds did not own a dog, so are we to believe the dog was an intruder? These far-reaching defensive fantasies are all far too simple to dispel. Frankly, as a father of two daughters that have the exact same age spread as Kimberly and Kristin and are nearly their same age, I wonder how he was not even considered for the death penalty, especially in North Carolina. I really wouldn't mind seeing him get a new trial if the appropriate death penalty was on the table.

I really believe the only reason why he continues to plead innocence was because when he devised this plan he felt he did it so meticulously that it was just never in the plan for him to even be reproached. In his arrogance he knew the story would work, and it did for nearly a decade. So ever since they did begin to accuse him through good detective work (albeit mostly circumstantial), he had a pre-programmed denial mechanism in place because it was never supposed to happen to him like that.

Another startling little-known fact about this case pertains to the March 1970 copy of Esquire found just underneath the side of the top-heavy coffee table... Many know of the Sharon Tate/Charles Manson article featured in said magazine however, just three days before the MacDonald family is massacred Jeff is verbalizing this story to a Lieutenant friend of his talking about how crazy it is what had happened. Again, just three days before the same thing just happened to him.
    I am sorry ladies and gentleman but I stopped by this evening to say coincidences do not exist. Signing off...
    What a great post! Thank you! (I spaced it for easier reading.) How is the Macdonald home different today than it was back than, and who is living there now? I read some time ago that the duplex was demolished see here:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2580647/

Just imagine how Macdonald's intruder story could have worked even for a longer period of time if he had vandalized the living room? The crime scene living room is too neat for his story to be believable.

Satch

Unanswered Jeffery Macdonald Case Questions

Having studied the Jeffrey Macdonald case for years, and written papers from both prosecution
    and defense viewpoints here are some questions that have not been answered very well by
    either side. Please feel free to comment and add to this list:

1.) Who owned the suitcase in the bedroom and what do you make of this item?

Some have speculated, on the prosecution side, that Macdonald had been planning to
    flee before self-inflicting his chest wound in the bathroom and collapsing his lung. Others
    say that Collete threatened to leave shortly before the argument or during the argument . I
    may be wrong, but why wasn't the suitcase entered into evidence?

2.) The defense claimed that James Frier, a recovering alcoholic being treated at
    Womack Hospital,, tried to call the Macdonald house trying to reach his psychiatrist, Dr.
    Richard Macdonald, and the operator put it through to Jeff's house by mistake. Yet,
    Macdonald in his telling of the intruder story never, at least to my recollection has mentioned
    the Jimmy Frier phone call. It seems odd that he would omit this, as it would seemingly help
    his case on the defense side. What do you make of this? I wish we could get the Mcdonald's
    phone records for that night!

3.) How well did Jeffrey Macdonald know Helena Stockley and her friends before the
    murders? If at all?

4.) Did Helena Stockley and Greg Mitchell live together at the time of the murders? How
    far apart did each live from the Macdonald residence?

5.) Who do you think the unidentified woman that Ken Mica, the police officer, saw that
    night really was standing on the corner in the rain? Is it true that he was told not to report
    seeing her by his superiors, and if so, why?

6.) The defense has always claimed that not all of Macdonald's wounds were
    photographed. If this is true, why not?

7.) How many people lived in the Macdonald's apartment? Before Jeff and Collette moved
    into it?

Satch

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96