Tsunami Watch Issued For Hawaii-UPDATE:American Samoa hit hard

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami watch for the Hawaiian Islands after an earthquake off Samoa on Tuesday morning.

Scientists issued the watch at 8:05 a.m.

(Check to see if you are in an evacuation zone.)

The quake near the Samoa Islands hit with a magnitude 8.3. It had a preliminary measurement of 7.9, officials said. It struck at about 7:48 a.m.

Scientists are evaluating whether the tsunami threat is significant. The earliest Hawaii would see an impact would be 1:11 p.m., PTWC officials said.

More at link:
http://www.kitv.com/news/21150223/detail.html

A tsunami watch is in effect for the Hawaiian islands and other parts of the Pacific after a 7.9 quake struck near Pago Pago, American Samoa. A watch means that residents should stay alert for further updates, but not that a tsunami is imminent.

The quake occurred around 7:48 AM Hawaii time. The earthquake generated a 10-foot wave in the vicinity of the Samoan Islands, according to observers at the Tsunami Warning Center.

More at link:
http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=11225197

Ok, it's 9:51 in Hawaii right now, so if the tsunami is to hit around 1:11pm that would be 3hrs and 20 minutes from now.

I hope everyone can stay out of the way if it happens.

Oh, My! How frightening!! I keep thinking about the people on the beaches and honeymooning couples too wrapped up in each other to consider listening to the news reports.

Do they warn people on the islands? Do they get them out of the water and off the beaches?

Oh, My! How frightening!! I keep thinking about the people on the beaches and honeymooning couples too wrapped up in each other to consider listening to the news reports.

Do they warn people on the islands? Do they get them out of the water and off the beaches?

A couple of decades ago some friends of mine and their kids were vacationing there. They were walking along the beach and decided they wanted lunch and took a shortcut back to the hotel via a series of steep steps up a cliff. They were halfway up when a wave came in and crashed below them. They would have been hit if they didn't leave when they did. They found out later that day their was a small tsunami warning they didn't know about.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/a...NG01/90929027/Tsunami-watch-lifted-for-Hawaii

(snip)

The center downgraded the Hawaii watch to an advisory at 10:23 a.m., according to center director Charles McCreery. The Islands remain under a tsunami advisory until 7 p.m., meaning unusual sea levels or currents could occur. The warning center says sea level changes of 3 to 4 feet could take place between 1 p.m. and 7 p.m., McCreery said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back