1132 users online (239 members and 893 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Stuffed animal "Taz" a.k.a. Techbay "Beanie Baby"?

Cobbling some information together from different places into a thread. My apologies in advance if I don't have all the information correct. Asking those familiar w/ the details to chime in and fix things.

IMHO, this warrants a little focused exploration.

• JT stated that he gave Caylee a "beanie baby" during her visit to the Techbay store.
    • AZ Lawyer pointed out the potential for this "beanie baby" to be the stuffed animal that was recovered from G&C's backyard/shed (not sure of exact location) that Cindy indicated she hadn't seen before.
    • JWG list of evidence indicates the following items were recovered from the Anthony's home 7/18/08 and all four items were tagged "H-51983". Since these were tagged following the 3 hair ties that were discovered in the back yard when CSI was there that day, IIRC, and the only other thing they collected were some soil samples from the Pontiac trunk & fender wells...consider what we have:
      • (1) Stuffed animal
      • (1) plastic bag
      • Stuffed animal "Taz"
      • Plastic bag

I'm concerned that it appears neither of these stuffed animals was submitted to the FBI for testing - yet - that we know about

Perhaps a short thread...but appreciate some help putting a finer point on the potential connection 'tween the Techbay "beanie baby" and the stuffed animal(s) recovered from G&C's backyard/shed.

TIA!
    Last edited by BondJamesBond; 09-30-2009 at 02:55 PM.

I just found the Taz beanie on eBay, but I don't know how to insert the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
    I just found the Taz beanie on eBay, but I don't know how to insert the image.
    FWIW...I believe "Beanie Baby" is a trademarked product of the Ty company, yet, people often use the description generically to describe any small stuffed animal of approximately the same size as the actual "Beanie Baby" products. I don't believe there is actually a "Beanie Baby" product "Taz"...but there are a few variations on the one shown here (found randomly on Google Image search)

Last edited by BondJamesBond; 10-01-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BondJamesBond View Post
    Cobbling some information together from different places into a thread. My apologies in advance if I don't have all the information correct. Asking those familiar w/ the details to chime in and fix things.

IMHO, this warrants a little focused exploration.

• JT stated that he gave Caylee a "beanie baby" during her visit to the Techbay store.
    • AZ Lawyer pointed out the potential for this "beanie baby" to be the stuffed animal that was recovered from G&C's backyard/shed (not sure of exact location) that Cindy indicated she hadn't seen before.
    • JWG list of evidence indicates the following items were recovered from the Anthony's home 7/18/08 and all four items were tagged "H-51983". Since these were tagged following the 3 hair ties that were discovered in the back yard when CSI was there that day, IIRC, and the only other thing they collected were some soil samples from the Pontiac trunk & fender wells...consider what we have:

• (1) Stuffed animal
      • (1) plastic bag
      • Stuffed animal "Taz"
      • Plastic bag

I'm concerned that it appears neither of these stuffed animals was submitted to the FBI for testing - yet - that we know about

Perhaps a short thread...but appreciate some help putting a finer point on the potential connection 'tween the Techbay "beanie baby" and the stuffed animal(s) recovered from G&C's backyard/shed.

TIA!
    I checked the official Ty Beanie Babies site, and they don't make a "Taz" beanie baby. It doesn't appear on the current or retired list.

Taz is a Warner Bros character that appears in cartoons with Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. I don't think Beanie Babies has the license for using Warner Bros characters.

I'd like to know if JT's give away stuffed animals were official Ty beanie babies, or another stuffed animal he just called "beanie babies" and if he had Warner Bros characters in the box and specifically a Taz.
    My posts are my opinion..........

Bond--you're right. I just went back to eBay and searched Taz Beanie and noticed that none of the entries says "Beanie Baby". They say Beanie toy or simply Beanie. None of them claim to be actual TY licensed. I wonder if the Techbay giveaway toys were real or were they the generic Beanies.

I think it is highly likely that the Techbay "beanie" was a generic "beanie". So many companies have the small "beanie" animals now and for literally a buck or two. Lot's of businesses have little toys for kids to give away yet they are not likely giving licensed "beanies" as it would be cost prohibitive. Perhaps Techbay had done some work for a customer that had access to stuffed animals and provided some for him to give away. Another poster mentioned their plans to drop by Techbay, I can't remember who it was. If they did go, perhaps they asked about the beanies. I think they were going to follow up on video surveillance at the store.

The "Taz" stuffed animal toy was found down the street from the Anthonys. Look at the address. Cindy was shown the toy but did not recognize it (according to the doc dump narrative).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sleutherontheside View Post
    I think it is highly likely that the Techbay "beanie" was a generic "beanie". So many companies have the small "beanie" animals now and for literally a buck or two. Lot's of businesses have little toys for kids to give away yet they are not likely giving licensed "beanies" as it would be cost prohibitive. Perhaps Techbay had done some work for a customer that had access to stuffed animals and provided some for him to give away. Another poster mentioned their plans to drop by Techbay, I can't remember who it was. If they did go, perhaps they asked about the beanies. I think they were going to follow up on video surveillance at the store.
    Just an FYI I've learned along the way of running various fundraisers for my kids' schools......businesses, dr.s offices, etc, (and schools offering prizes for students participating in fundraisers) often get bulk "beanie baby" type stuffed animals for promotions and little "thank yous". Oriental Trading Co. is one such company that offers little critters in bulk. JT of TechBay sounds like a business owner who is trying to think outside the box and find a way to create some interest in customers returning to his store. It strikes me that a box of the real Ty Beanie Babies would be a pricey promotional gift, so I do wonder if the "beanie baby" is generic. And if he is a 42 year old guy w/ no kids....he might not know the difference. Just a thought......
    Last edited by The Eunice Burns; 09-30-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: clarify

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Dogs View Post
    The "Taz" stuffed animal toy was found down the street from the Anthonys. Look at the address. Cindy was shown the toy but did not recognize it (according to the doc dump narrative).
    Interesting. I wonder why they searched the neighbor's house at all. I don't believe that's the same neighbor from whom she borrowed the shovel (B Burner). And why, if they searched the neighbor's house, did they take a stuffed animal? Why did they think it was connected to the crime? And why ask Cindy if she recognized it? Why would she recognize a stuffed animal from her neighbor's house?

Either that address is a mistake (although I see that the officer started to write in the A. address and changed it), or there is some significance to the neighbor's house or the stuffed animal that would have been apparent to the officers even as of July 18.

AZL, the address is a number of houses away, not next door.

I suspect that the homeowner found the toy on their property and reported it to the investigation going on down the street. Thinking it might be related to Caylee, they bring it to the CSIers. My guess.

Like some other pieces of evidence found in the doc dumps, it may have no actual relationship to the Caylee case.

http://www.cfnews13.com/uploadedFile...%20reports.pdf On page 15 the search of the backyard is described and the stuffed animal and plastic bag is listed as taken into evidence. If they came from another yard would that not be noted here?

Quote Originally Posted by 3doglady View Post
    If they came from another yard would that not be noted here?
    Your link shows a redacted address. It didn't come from the Anthony property. It was found about six houses away. Here is the original narrative, which can still be found here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hot Dogs; 09-30-2009 at 06:34 PM.

BTW...my bad on the evidence spreadsheet.

The stuffed animal and plastic bag are mentioned in multiple documents, sometimes with and sometimes without the descriptions. IOW, there is only one plastic bag and one stuffed animal. Both were found down the street from the Anthony's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Dogs View Post
    AZL, the address is a number of houses away, not next door.

I suspect that the homeowner found the toy on their property and reported it to the investigation going on down the street. Thinking it might be related to Caylee, they bring it to the CSIers. My guess.

Like some other pieces of evidence found in the doc dumps, it may have no actual relationship to the Caylee case.
    I realized it was not next door--I'm using the word "neighbor" to include down-the-street neighbors.

If these neighbors have no kids and found a stuffed animal in their back yard or something near the time of Caylee's "disappearance," I could see why they might tell LE about that and turn it over, and LE might take it.

HHmmm . . .
    Just thinking outloud
    Only way to know if this "Taz" is the one given to Caylee is for JT to identify it. Casey could have thrown it out of the window on that fated day. If it is the one, Cindy would not have known about it, & Casey could have pitched it b4 it ever hit the Ant farm

ETA , , This item would not have any significance outside of the tech event. It is quite significant however, if it is the toy given to Caylee.( aside) Since reading about the Tech / walmart event yesterday, for some reason, it has made me profoundly sad. Putting her into an interaction that day( perhaps her only one before she died) is just so difficult I keep wondering If by then Caylee sensed something was very wrong
    Last edited by celticthyme; 09-30-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast