Stuffed animal "Taz" a.k.a. Techbay "Beanie Baby"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondJamesBond

Blunt Instrument
Reaction score
Cobbling some information together from different places into a thread. My apologies in advance if I don't have all the information correct. Asking those familiar w/ the details to chime in and fix things. :blowkiss:

IMHO, this warrants a little focused exploration.

• JT stated that he gave Caylee a "beanie baby" during her visit to the Techbay store.
  • AZ Lawyer pointed out the potential for this "beanie baby" to be the stuffed animal that was recovered from G&C's backyard/shed (not sure of exact location) that Cindy indicated she hadn't seen before. :eek:
  • JWG list of evidence indicates the following items were recovered from the Anthony's home 7/18/08 and all four items were tagged "H-51983". Since these were tagged following the 3 hair ties that were discovered in the back yard when CSI was there that day, IIRC, and the only other thing they collected were some soil samples from the Pontiac trunk & fender wells...consider what we have:
    • (1) Stuffed animal
    • (1) plastic bag
    • Stuffed animal "Taz"
    • Plastic bag

I'm concerned that it appears neither of these stuffed animals was submitted to the FBI for testing - yet - that we know about :waitasec:

Perhaps a short thread...but appreciate some help putting a finer point on the potential connection 'tween the Techbay "beanie baby" and the stuffed animal(s) recovered from G&C's backyard/shed.

TIA!

I just found the Taz beanie on eBay, but I don't know how to insert the image.

I just found the Taz beanie on eBay, but I don't know how to insert the image.

FWIW...I believe "Beanie Baby" is a trademarked product of the Ty company, yet, people often use the description generically to describe any small stuffed animal of approximately the same size as the actual "Beanie Baby" products. I don't believe there is actually a "Beanie Baby" product "Taz"...but there are a few variations on the one shown here (found randomly on Google Image search)

Taz.jpg

Cobbling some information together from different places into a thread. My apologies in advance if I don't have all the information correct. Asking those familiar w/ the details to chime in and fix things. :blowkiss:

IMHO, this warrants a little focused exploration.

• JT stated that he gave Caylee a "beanie baby" during her visit to the Techbay store.
  • AZ Lawyer pointed out the potential for this "beanie baby" to be the stuffed animal that was recovered from G&C's backyard/shed (not sure of exact location) that Cindy indicated she hadn't seen before. :eek:
  • JWG list of evidence indicates the following items were recovered from the Anthony's home 7/18/08 and all four items were tagged "H-51983". Since these were tagged following the 3 hair ties that were discovered in the back yard when CSI was there that day, IIRC, and the only other thing they collected were some soil samples from the Pontiac trunk & fender wells...consider what we have:

• (1) Stuffed animal
    • (1) plastic bag
    • Stuffed animal "Taz"
    • Plastic bag

I'm concerned that it appears neither of these stuffed animals was submitted to the FBI for testing - yet - that we know about :waitasec:

Perhaps a short thread...but appreciate some help putting a finer point on the potential connection 'tween the Techbay "beanie baby" and the stuffed animal(s) recovered from G&C's backyard/shed.

TIA!

I checked the official Ty Beanie Babies site, and they don't make a "Taz" beanie baby. It doesn't appear on the current or retired list.

Taz is a Warner Bros character that appears in cartoons with Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. I don't think Beanie Babies has the license for using Warner Bros characters.

I'd like to know if JT's give away stuffed animals were official Ty beanie babies, or another stuffed animal he just called "beanie babies" and if he had Warner Bros characters in the box and specifically a Taz.

Bond--you're right. I just went back to eBay and searched Taz Beanie and noticed that none of the entries says "Beanie Baby". They say Beanie toy or simply Beanie. None of them claim to be actual TY licensed. I wonder if the Techbay giveaway toys were real or were they the generic Beanies.

I think it is highly likely that the Techbay "beanie" was a generic "beanie". So many companies have the small "beanie" animals now and for literally a buck or two. Lot's of businesses have little toys for kids to give away yet they are not likely giving licensed "beanies" as it would be cost prohibitive. Perhaps Techbay had done some work for a customer that had access to stuffed animals and provided some for him to give away. Another poster mentioned their plans to drop by Techbay, I can't remember who it was. If they did go, perhaps they asked about the beanies. I think they were going to follow up on video surveillance at the store.

The "Taz" stuffed animal toy was found down the street from the Anthonys. Look at the address. Cindy was shown the toy but did not recognize it (according to the doc dump narrative).

Attachments

• Taz.jpg
    Taz.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 142
I think it is highly likely that the Techbay "beanie" was a generic "beanie". So many companies have the small "beanie" animals now and for literally a buck or two. Lot's of businesses have little toys for kids to give away yet they are not likely giving licensed "beanies" as it would be cost prohibitive. Perhaps Techbay had done some work for a customer that had access to stuffed animals and provided some for him to give away. Another poster mentioned their plans to drop by Techbay, I can't remember who it was. If they did go, perhaps they asked about the beanies. I think they were going to follow up on video surveillance at the store.

Just an FYI I've learned along the way of running various fundraisers for my kids' schools......businesses, dr.s offices, etc, (and schools offering prizes for students participating in fundraisers) often get bulk "beanie baby" type stuffed animals for promotions and little "thank yous". Oriental Trading Co. is one such company that offers little critters in bulk. JT of TechBay sounds like a business owner who is trying to think outside the box and find a way to create some interest in customers returning to his store. It strikes me that a box of the real Ty Beanie Babies would be a pricey promotional gift, so I do wonder if the "beanie baby" is generic. And if he is a 42 year old guy w/ no kids....he might not know the difference. Just a thought......

The "Taz" stuffed animal toy was found down the street from the Anthonys. Look at the address. Cindy was shown the toy but did not recognize it (according to the doc dump narrative).

Interesting. I wonder why they searched the neighbor's house at all. I don't believe that's the same neighbor from whom she borrowed the shovel (B Burner). And why, if they searched the neighbor's house, did they take a stuffed animal? Why did they think it was connected to the crime? And why ask Cindy if she recognized it? Why would she recognize a stuffed animal from her neighbor's house? :waitasec:

Either that address is a mistake (although I see that the officer started to write in the A. address and changed it), or there is some significance to the neighbor's house or the stuffed animal that would have been apparent to the officers even as of July 18.

AZL, the address is a number of houses away, not next door.

I suspect that the homeowner found the toy on their property and reported it to the investigation going on down the street. Thinking it might be related to Caylee, they bring it to the CSIers. My guess.

Like some other pieces of evidence found in the doc dumps, it may have no actual relationship to the Caylee case.

If they came from another yard would that not be noted here?

Your link shows a redacted address. It didn't come from the Anthony property. It was found about six houses away. Here is the original narrative, which can still be found here.

Attachments

• taz narrative.jpg
    taz narrative.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 65
BTW...my bad on the evidence spreadsheet.

The stuffed animal and plastic bag are mentioned in multiple documents, sometimes with and sometimes without the descriptions. IOW, there is only one plastic bag and one stuffed animal. Both were found down the street from the Anthony's.

AZL, the address is a number of houses away, not next door.

I suspect that the homeowner found the toy on their property and reported it to the investigation going on down the street. Thinking it might be related to Caylee, they bring it to the CSIers. My guess.

Like some other pieces of evidence found in the doc dumps, it may have no actual relationship to the Caylee case.

I realized it was not next door--I'm using the word "neighbor" to include down-the-street neighbors.

If these neighbors have no kids and found a stuffed animal in their back yard or something near the time of Caylee's "disappearance," I could see why they might tell LE about that and turn it over, and LE might take it.

HHmmm . . .
Just thinking outloud
Only way to know if this "Taz" is the one given to Caylee is for JT to identify it. Casey could have thrown it out of the window on that fated day. If it is the one, Cindy would not have known about it, & Casey could have pitched it b4 it ever hit the Ant farm

ETA , , This item would not have any significance outside of the tech event. It is quite significant however, if it is the toy given to Caylee.( aside) Since reading about the Tech / walmart event yesterday, for some reason, it has made me profoundly sad. Putting her into an interaction that day( perhaps her only one before she died) is just so difficult I keep wondering If by then Caylee sensed something was very wrong

Since reading about the Tech / walmart event yesterday, for some reason, it has made me profoundly sad. Putting her into an interaction that day(perhaps her only one before she died) is just so difficult I keep wondering If by then Caylee sensed something was very wrong

respecfully snipped and bolded by me.

No baby should ever have to experience this :( It makes me so sad to think that poor Caylee probably did sense that something was very wrong, and it probably scared her a lot. Children should never have feel anything less than totally secure and loved, especially in their parent's care. That poor child. Gosh, I just feel so sad for her :(

sorry for the o/t, but your post just stuck out to me and I had to comment on that part.

I don't suppose any pictures have been released in any of the dumps of this bag and stuffed animal? No...that would be to easy.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Can't go back and multi-quote @ the moment, but, appreciate everyone weighing in.

Quick summary I'm reading:

1) Only one stuffed animal was recovered 7/18 (vs. two)
2) It was recovered by a neighbor down the street from G&C's (vs. in G&C's backyard/shed) that brought it to LE's attn
3) LE presented it to Cindy who did not recognize it as belonging to Caylee

So...OK...I haven't read the detailed report yet :)rolleyes:) that was kindly linked by Hot Dogs (and maybe others too) so maybe its in there. By the posts I've read I'm assuming it isn't...but no mention of WHEN the "stuffed animal" was found by the neighbor, eh?

I can see LE doing the triage 7/18 when Cindy indicated she didn't recognize it (esp. now that Hot Dogs kindly pointed out where it came from) and the thing falling off the radar screen as far as relevence to the case is concerned.

IOW...it could've been found 7/16-7/18 when the news was breaking and Hopespring Dr was swarming w/ LE patrol cars, etc. OR...it could've been found anytime <7/16 and the neighbor just stuck it somewhere and remembered they found it when all of this broke...thought about a possible connection and came forward w/ it (unlikley, I know, but, WTH :rolleyes:).

So...in the wildest of speculative modes...I kinda envision this stuffed animal bein' tossed on the shoulder of the road/edge of lawn and being found by the neighbor...say when they were checking their mailbox...or mowing the yard, etc. :waitasec:

Not great...I know...but...wouldn't hurt to first have JT take a look @ it to see if its anything like what he had to give away @ the store. Then, if wonder of wonders IF it was similar to what he recalls...have CSI check it out for trace evidence.

Thanks again everyone for entertaining the notion. :blowkiss:

One last tease...(one HP would enjoy ;) ) Recall the horse toy that was famously touted by NG to be among the things LE was looking for in the December search of G&C's. Never showed up that I recall. :waitasec: Just to further fuel some speculation...esp. re: timing of this statement being given (July '09)...anyone wanna go further out on that limb...:poke:...and think 'bout a 'horse toy' being what JT gave Caylee @ Techbay? :waitasec:

BTW...I reserve the right to be completely in the dark on any current details re: horse toy. I just recall enjoying HP's ranting about yet another NG'ism (multiple knives, etc.) that seemed to spontaneously generate themselves then evaporate into thin air.

I just realized that we can probably eliminate the hope that JT had a surveillance tape of Casey's visit to his store. Because if he had one he would know the exact date that she and Caylee were there ~ and he doesn't. He thinks it was about a week before Father's Day.

ETA: Sorry, I just realized this is on the wrong thread.

Interesting. I wonder why they searched the neighbor's house at all. I don't believe that's the same neighbor from whom she borrowed the shovel (B Burner). And why, if they searched the neighbor's house, did they take a stuffed animal? Why did they think it was connected to the crime? And why ask Cindy if she recognized it? Why would she recognize a stuffed animal from her neighbor's house? :waitasec:

Either that address is a mistake (although I see that the officer started to write in the A. address and changed it), or there is some significance to the neighbor's house or the stuffed animal that would have been apparent to the officers even as of July 18.

Is this KW, when he brought the bag to CA?

Nevermind, I see my answer above!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member