796 users online (169 members and 627 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NY - Letterman: I faced extortion over sexual affairs

David Letterman told his audience Thursday that he is the victim of an alleged extortion attempt and admitted to having sexual relations with several members of his staff, according to a press release from his production company.

Letterman made the announcement during taping of the "Late Show."
    "This morning, I did something I've never done in my life," Letterman told his audience, according to a release from Worldwide Pants Inc. "I had to go downtown and testify before a grand jury."

More at link:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/1...ons/index.html

Letterman Says Someone's Extorting Him

Posted Oct 1st 2009 9:35PM by TMZ Staff

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0SkOOl2jZ

(snip)
    UPDATE: 10:30 PM ET: TMZ has learned the identity of the alleged extortionist who was arrested today. His name is Robert Halderman. He's 51 years old and lives in Norwalk, CT. Halderman has a business in Manhattan, where he was arrested today.

I just wonder if he had a thing with some of his interns?

I feel bad for his wife and son, his son is 6 now so will probably be hearing some things eventually.

VB
    Boyfriends and girlfriends are not Babysitters.
    Just because you want to be with somebody does not mean they will take care of your children.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post
    I feel bad for his wife and son, his son is 6 now so will probably be hearing some things eventually.

VB
    Yeah, poor them. I mean, admitting to an affair because someone found out about it, is so much worse than being accused of it, or hearing your daughters referred to in crass jokes.

jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    what is it with men in power thinking it is okay to cheat on their wives? Let's play all the old Letterman shows where e rags on other men in power being caught. He knew better.

What he did was wrong and disrespectful to his wife and damaging to his family. But I can admire the fact that he did come forward instead of just paying up and hoping that his blackmailer wouldn't be too hard to satisfy. Coming forward doesn't make up for what he did. But at least it shows that he is trying.

Extortion is wrong and there is no justification for it. That said, I feel no sympathy for men who play around on their wives / significant others. I do however feel sympathy for the wife and I hope that she and their son are able to come through this ok.
    Free online muder mystery game!http://www.murdermysteryinvestigations.com

In memory of Laci and Conner and my wonderful grandparents Joan and Les - I love you guys

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    What he did was wrong and disrespectful to his wife and damaging to his family. But I can admire the fact that he did come forward instead of just paying up and hoping that his blackmailer wouldn't be too hard to satisfy. Coming forward doesn't make up for what he did. But at least it shows that he is trying.

I didn't read the link, but possibly some of the affairs happened before he married the mother of his child. Not that it makes it right, but maybe that's how he justified it.

I don't admire him for anything. If the guy wasn't trying to extort money he would have said nothing, admitted nothing. He's only trying to protect his money and his job; beating the press to the punch.

I wonder if Sarah Palin is thinking "what goes around, comes around."

I'm a long time Letterman viewer. And by long time I mean I use to watch his short lived MORNING show back in the late 70s. When Dave started on NBC with Late Night it was funny and cutting edge. Even the early years of CBS were funny. It was well known that Dave was a womanizer with his staff. Merrill Markoe worked for him and was his long time girlfriend before Regina. If I remember correctly, she wrote a book and mentioned his infidelity in it.It was the reason they broke up. Merrill still works in the industry as a writer (?) After she left Late Night she was promoting something she had done and came on Dave's show. To all Dave's long time fans, it was a big deal. I taped that episode. I use to tape all Dave's old shows, not anymore. Somewhere along the line Dave became bitter and nasty. He was always snarky, but funny not mean. I stopped watching Dave years ago when he started using his show as a Liberal platform. He turned alot of his "old" fans off with that.

I used to be a fan too, in the beginning (back when he was actually funny). Do you remember when he pretended to be the manager of a Taco Bell and worked the Drive Thru? Too funny.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the female staffers now sued him?

The alleged extortionist is an Emmy Awarding Winning Producer for "48 Hours" on CBS and once lived with a woman who worked for Letterman. So it wasn't for the money I would assume.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/robert-hal...ory?id=8730770
    "And can it be that in a world so full and busy,
    the loss of one creature makes a void in any heart,
    so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth
    of eternity can fill it up?"
    ~~Charles Dickens

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=362
    http://sheriannherboys.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post

VB
    Wasn't she also one of his affairs for years before they married?
    YellowDog

These are my opinions only and should not be misconstrued as factual.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    I used to be a fan too, in the beginning (back when he was actually funny). Do you remember when he pretended to be the manager of a Taco Bell and worked the Drive Thru? Too funny.
    Yes! On the old NBC show he use to call people he randomly picked out of the NYC phonebook. Or Dave himself would go on the road and knock on people's doors and spend the day with them. It was funny original stuff. For the longest time he had a grudge against Joan Collins because she wouldn't do the show. He did a joke about her every night.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast