NY - Letterman: I faced extortion over sexual affairs

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
David Letterman told his audience Thursday that he is the victim of an alleged extortion attempt and admitted to having sexual relations with several members of his staff, according to a press release from his production company.

Letterman made the announcement during taping of the "Late Show."
"This morning, I did something I've never done in my life," Letterman told his audience, according to a release from Worldwide Pants Inc. "I had to go downtown and testify before a grand jury."

More at link:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/01/letterman.allegations/index.html

I just wonder if he had a thing with some of his interns?

I feel bad for his wife and son, his son is 6 now so will probably be hearing some things eventually.

VB

I feel bad for his wife and son, his son is 6 now so will probably be hearing some things eventually.

VB

Yeah, poor them. I mean, admitting to an affair because someone found out about it, is so much worse than being accused of it, or hearing your daughters referred to in crass jokes.

what is it with men in power thinking it is okay to cheat on their wives? Let's play all the old Letterman shows where e rags on other men in power being caught. He knew better.

What he did was wrong and disrespectful to his wife and damaging to his family. But I can admire the fact that he did come forward instead of just paying up and hoping that his blackmailer wouldn't be too hard to satisfy. Coming forward doesn't make up for what he did. But at least it shows that he is trying.

Extortion is wrong and there is no justification for it. That said, I feel no sympathy for men who play around on their wives / significant others. I do however feel sympathy for the wife and I hope that she and their son are able to come through this ok.

What he did was wrong and disrespectful to his wife and damaging to his family. But I can admire the fact that he did come forward instead of just paying up and hoping that his blackmailer wouldn't be too hard to satisfy. Coming forward doesn't make up for what he did. But at least it shows that he is trying.

I didn't read the link, but possibly some of the affairs happened before he married the mother of his child. Not that it makes it right, but maybe that's how he justified it.

I don't admire him for anything. If the guy wasn't trying to extort money he would have said nothing, admitted nothing. He's only trying to protect his money and his job; beating the press to the punch.

I wonder if Sarah Palin is thinking "what goes around, comes around."

I'm a long time Letterman viewer. And by long time I mean I use to watch his short lived MORNING show back in the late 70s. When Dave started on NBC with Late Night it was funny and cutting edge. Even the early years of CBS were funny. It was well known that Dave was a womanizer with his staff. Merrill Markoe worked for him and was his long time girlfriend before Regina. If I remember correctly, she wrote a book and mentioned his infidelity in it.It was the reason they broke up. Merrill still works in the industry as a writer (?) After she left Late Night she was promoting something she had done and came on Dave's show. To all Dave's long time fans, it was a big deal. I taped that episode. I use to tape all Dave's old shows, not anymore. Somewhere along the line Dave became bitter and nasty. He was always snarky, but funny not mean. I stopped watching Dave years ago when he started using his show as a Liberal platform. He turned alot of his "old" fans off with that.

I used to be a fan too, in the beginning (back when he was actually funny). Do you remember when he pretended to be the manager of a Taco Bell and worked the Drive Thru? Too funny.

I used to be a fan too, in the beginning (back when he was actually funny). Do you remember when he pretended to be the manager of a Taco Bell and worked the Drive Thru? Too funny.

Yes! On the old NBC show he use to call people he randomly picked out of the NYC phonebook. Or Dave himself would go on the road and knock on people's doors and spend the day with them. It was funny original stuff. For the longest time he had a grudge against Joan Collins because she wouldn't do the show. He did a joke about her every night.

I'm a long time Letterman viewer. And by long time I mean I use to watch his short lived MORNING show back in the late 70s. When Dave started on NBC with Late Night it was funny and cutting edge. Even the early years of CBS were funny. It was well known that Dave was a womanizer with his staff. Merrill Markoe worked for him and was his long time girlfriend before Regina. If I remember correctly, she wrote a book and mentioned his infidelity in it.It was the reason they broke up. Merrill still works in the industry as a writer (?) After she left Late Night she was promoting something she had done and came on Dave's show. To all Dave's long time fans, it was a big deal. I taped that episode. I use to tape all Dave's old shows, not anymore. Somewhere along the line Dave became bitter and nasty. He was always snarky, but funny not mean. I stopped watching Dave years ago when he started using his show as a Liberal platform. He turned alot of his "old" fans off with that.

I also quit watching Letterman for years. He was so rude with his guests...until he had a heart attack. His whole attitude changed after his surgery. That's when I started watching him again. He can't change the things he did in the past, but it appears the health problems and the birth of his child changed his whole outlook on life. Also, there is a good chance his wife knew what kind of a man he was all those years and dealt with it in her own way.

IMO, this guy out for money is a dick.

I also quit watching Letterman for years. He was so rude with his guests...until he had a heart attack. His whole attitude changed after his surgery. That's when I started watching him again. He can't change the things he did in the past, but it appears the health problems and the birth of his child changed his whole outlook on life. Also, there is a good chance his wife knew what kind of a man he was all those years and dealt with it in her own way.

IMO, this guy out for money is a d**k.

I stopped watching him long before his heart attack. According to other posters he may have been having an affair with Regina when he was with the other woman, so yeah, she probably did know what kind of man she was marrying.

As for the whistle blower being a d**k, well, after finding out who it is, I don't think it's for money. I see DL more as the d**k.

Being in the business for so long, he knows not to sleep with your employee's. What gives him the right? Just because he's on TV? I give him credit for coming forward, but it doesn't negate what he's done.

My ex cheated on me -- the hurt runs deep. I pray for his wife and son, as their lives will never be the same again. Shame on you Dave -- and keep it in your pants would ya!

MOO

Mel

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong