785 users online (86 members and 699 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Florence MacMillan Larson, 92, Merced, 22 Dec 1989

Hi Websleuths!

A friend of a friend has asked me to try to help find out info re: the murder of her aunt. I only have very sketchy information to go on.

Murder occurred in December (my friend thinks) in the early 90's in Merced CA - she was found by her son who checked on her during lunch time. She has been stabbed with one of her own kitchen knives. Apparently her son (a city councilman at the time) was never a suspect and no suspects were ever found...

I don't even know where to start with this...but I know you guys can give me some help/direction...I'm not even sure of what questions to ask...nothing comes up when I search the name...

I found a little info. According to the December 27, 1989, Fresno Bee, her name was Florence Beatrice Larson and she was 90. She lived in an apartment in the west 500 block of 19th St. in Merced.

"Merced County Coroner Joe Sabo said Larson had been beaten about the face and stabbed in the chest and heart. He said the body was discovered shortly after 5 p.m. by the victim's son, Dr. Howard Larson, a Merced eye doctor.

Merced police released little on the killing. On Friday, however, the department announced that officers were seeking a white male, between 5 feet 9 inches and 6 feet tall with dark scraggly hair for questioning."

I didn't see any follow-up stories at all, not even an obituary.
    Last edited by doublestop; 10-02-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: adding further info

Thanks Doublestop - would my next stop be to call Merced County Sheriff to see if they have this in a cold Case file??

PS - I'm amazed that you found this!!!