Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NV - Karamjit Kaur, 16, Reno, 30 Sept 2009

Update in the paper:

Police have received several tips to follow in search for missing Karamjit Kaur

"...The tips have been about girls who look like Kaur and also about suspicious people in the North Valleys area, Whan said. They are following up on Secret Witness reports..."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

"I'll put it this way: I certainly wouldn't want her behind me in a knife fight." -- me

Email me

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
    Here's an article from today's paper that has more detail:

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...1/91002051&s=d

[soapbox]

The police here have a very strong union and are some of the highest paid in the nation, and as a result we cannot afford a large number of them. So some things like this do not get immediate attention. I am a strong supporter of LE but I have had more than one personal experience with this problem.

[/soapbox]

With that said, it looks like the police did get right on in based on the report in the paper:

"...The family’s missing person report came in at 7:24 p.m. Wednesday, but since it was not a shooting or murder, it was put on a screen as a priority 3, Whan said. An officer called the family about 8 p.m. No one answered so he left a message. At 8:30 p.m., the family called back, and a report was completed and handed to the desk sergeant..."

That was Wednesday night.

"...On Thursday morning, the search included Raven helicopters and police dogs, he said. They also checked on every registered sex offender in the area...Police started asking for the public’s help through the media about 4:30 p.m. Thursday. Later that evening, police stopped cars in the area of Karamjit’s neighborhood, asking residents if they had seen the girl..."
    Hi adnoid - no offense to LE but I'm beginning to think NO LE, anywhere, have the means to look for a child within the first 3 crucial hours. Also, it seems that most LE do not have the money for inputting DNA and other crucial evidence into the system. Guess I'm alarmed by this, and more so every day.
    Please think long and hard before calling a child a 'run-a-way':
    You might be giving a 'perk' to the 'perp'.

Democracy requires the occasional necessity of deferring to the opinions of other people. (Winston Churchill)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eyes4crime For This Useful Post:

Update in the paper:

Police have received several tips to follow in search for missing Karamjit Kaur

"...The tips have been about girls who look like Kaur and also about suspicious people in the North Valleys area, Whan said. They are following up on Secret Witness reports..."
    I hope these tips lead somewhere.

Further updates from your link above:

"By foot, on all-terrain vehicles and their four-wheel-drive vehicles, they are inspecting brushy fields, parking lots, and landscaped areas near industrial buildings in the area of Moya and Lear boulevards."

and

"As a precaution, Fox planned to have a cadaver dog inspect a nearby area where some recent digging has occurred."
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW
    STILL DOING IT FOR DYLAN GROENE. REST IN PEACE.

HELP FIND MISSING 7-YEAR-OLD PATRICK ALFORD.

FOOTY/SOCCER FAN? Join us here.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Searchers comb fields for missing Reno girl

Searchers on foot and ATVs are combing fields and other areas near where a 16-year-old Reno girl was last seen while riding a bicycle three days ago.

Police suspect foul play in Wednesday evening's disappearance of Karamjit Kaur (core), a North Valleys High School sophomore who moved with her family from East India to Reno eight months ago.

Searchers also have inspected Dumpsters, parking lots and under bridges near where Kaur vanished.

More: http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_13479336
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

3 teen boys sought who may have seen missing girl Karamjit Kaur

A witness reports seeing three male juveniles in the area of Becon Cove and Moya Boulevard on Wednesday night between 6:45 and 7 p.m., Reno police report.

It's believed these juveniles were riding a skateboard in the area and possibly saw the missing girl Karamjt Kaur riding her bike. Information on direction of travel or if she was with anybody else is critical information.

These three males are described as follows:

#1- Possible Asian male, 13 to 15 years of age, wearing glasses, long black suit coat, tan shorts, black high-top tennis shoes and white socks.

#2- Possible white male, 13 to 15 years of age, with long hair and wearing a white T-shirt and tan shorts.

#3- Possible Hispanic male, 13 to 15 years of age, with a skateboard and wearing gray shorts and brownish T-shirt.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091003/...0001/1321/news

Also from above link:

The father of missing Karamjit Kaur implores whoever has taken his daughter to return her safely to her Reno home.

"Whoever took her, bring her back safely. Drop her off. We just want her back," said Surinder Mathon, 50.
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 10-03-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: adding info

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Bring Bri Justice Foundation handing out fliers for missing Karamjit Kaur

At the Bring Bri Justice Foundation — formed in the wake of the 2008 abduction of Brianna Denison — volunteers are handing out fliers for people to distribute in effort to aid the search. The foundation is located at 5000 Smithridge Dr., Suite 9.

[snip]

About 3,000 fliers have been printed by the foundation and the Reno Police Department and 500 to 700 had already been distributed by about 10:30 a.m., Waddell said.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091003/...3005/1321/news

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Mazama is offline Family Historian - Amateur Skeleton Hunter
    I hope all this effort brings her home safe very soon.

Maz

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazama For This Useful Post:

It's starting to lightly snow here tonight and it's cold out - apparently there's a lot of activity and I've heard a rumor that 4 homeless sex offenders have been arrested - but there are no solid reports of this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

"I'll put it this way: I certainly wouldn't want her behind me in a knife fight." -- me

Email me

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    http://www.rgj.com/article/20091003/...-Karamjit-Kaur

secret witness is offering a reward in this case
    This bee my opinion

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

It's starting to lightly snow here tonight and it's cold out - apparently there's a lot of activity and I've heard a rumor that 4 homeless sex offenders have been arrested - but there are no solid reports of this.
    ........SNOW???? Fer real, adnoid??? Wow! (It was a very cold day in Kansas today as well... and I have the heat tonight but no snow yet)

Wow.... interesting rumor on the four SO arrests! Keep us posted!
    This bee my opinion

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    ........SNOW???? Fer real, adnoid??? Wow! (It was a very cold day in Kansas today as well... and I have the heat tonight but no snow yet)

It stopped pretty quickly but it's still cold.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

It's downright cold here in Chicago this weekend, no snow but maybe frost.

I'm thinking about this young person - she had on bright blue pajama bottoms and flip flops - certainly not dressed for cold weather. Seems that if there was a struggle, a flip flop would be found...let's hope one is found.

Homeless sex offenders - what a nightmare - what a terrible combination. mho

Democracy requires the occasional necessity of deferring to the opinions of other people. (Winston Churchill)

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eyes4crime For This Useful Post:

bumping for KK!
    This bee my opinion

Police talk to 3 boys, learn where girl was last riding bike

The three juvenile males whom Reno police were looking for have been interviewed. They told Reno detectives that they found Karamjit Kaur's bike in the area of Shifting Sands Drive and Beach Cove on Wednesday night on the side of the street, next to the sidewalk, and they took the bike to the location where it was later found. They are not considered suspects in the disappearance of Karamjit.

Without assistance from the media and the public, the Reno Police Department would have never learned the true location where Karamjit was last riding her bike. Detectives are still looking for residents or witnesses to come forward on any information leading to the location of the missing girl.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091003/...st-riding-bike

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho4Groenes View Post
    Police talk to 3 boys, learn where girl was last riding bike

The three juvenile males whom Reno police were looking for have been interviewed. They told Reno detectives that they found Karamjit Kaur's bike in the area of Shifting Sands Drive and Beach Cove on Wednesday night on the side of the street, next to the sidewalk, and they took the bike to the location where it was later found. They are not considered suspects in the disappearance of Karamjit.

Without assistance from the media and the public, the Reno Police Department would have never learned the true location where Karamjit was last riding her bike. Detectives are still looking for residents or witnesses to come forward on any information leading to the location of the missing girl.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091003/...st-riding-bike
    oh! this is great news in terms of the investigation! off to do a map
    This bee my opinion

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Exclamation from house to where bike picked up by kids only 0.2 miles!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8&ie=UTF8&z=19

here is the map.... from anchor point drive to the location where the kids picked her bike up at... it was only 0.2 miles.

she really WAS riding literally right in front of her home!
    This bee my opinion

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

This case reminds me so very much of Mariam, the girl from Georgia missing in Canada. Prayers that both girls are found safe. But it doesn't look good for either.
    Thanks for posting. Please link when u mention other cases....then we can just click and read I copied and pasted Mariam in the search, here at WS, and can't find the case mentioned
    Last edited by christine2448; 10-04-2009 at 01:54 AM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to christine2448 For This Useful Post:

Wow. Thanks nurse! Is that the exact address of her home? Or a best guess?

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post
    Thanks for posting. Please link when u mention other cases....then we can just click and read I copied and pasted Mariam in the search and can't find the case mentioned
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89091"]Canada - Missing Teen Since Sept 14 Mariam Makhniashvili - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Mariam's thread.. very similar
    This bee my opinion

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post
    Thanks for posting. Please link when u mention other cases....then we can just click and read I copied and pasted Mariam in the search and can't find the case mentioned
    Sorry about that! Here is a link to Mariam's case: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89091"]Canada - Missing Teen Since Sept 14 Mariam Makhniashvili - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

ETA: Nurse beat me to it. Thanks!

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Wow. Thanks nurse! Is that the exact address of her home? Or a best guess?
    best guess actually.. it is the street she lives on (which is not that long as you can see on the map). She basically was just riding around the block!

eta: even if she would live at the other end of that street.... it still is not a long distance around the block to where her bike was found from either direction she rode in (moo of course)
    Last edited by nursebeeme; 10-04-2009 at 01:56 AM.
    This bee my opinion

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

best guess actually.. it is the street she lives on (which is not that long as you can see on the map). She basically was just riding around the block!
    I guess it helps if I zoom out. Haha. But yeah...no matter where she lived on Anchor Point Drive, it was very close. She didn't make it very far at all.

I wonder if the police found out exactly what time the boys picked up her bike. That would narrow it down from between 6:30 and 7:30 quite considerably. I'm sure they did find out. But I want to know, too!

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

me too idaho!
    This bee my opinion

45. The Following User Says Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Sorry about that! Here is a link to Mariam's case: Canada - Missing Teen Since Sept 14 Mariam Makhniashvili - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

ETA: Nurse beat me to it. Thanks!

thanks nurse and I4G.

I found that one! LOL, I thought it said Georgia..so there is a Georgia in Canada, eta, duh, reading back, I see it clearly now. oops. I was thinking GA, where I live GA.
    Last edited by christine2448; 10-04-2009 at 02:08 AM.

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christine2448 For This Useful Post:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8&ie=UTF8&z=19

here is the map.... from anchor point drive to the location where the kids picked her bike up at... it was only 0.2 miles.

she really WAS riding literally right in front of her home!
    thanks for that nurse - Seems she rode her bike right around the corner. If the kids are telling the truth, don't you wonder who lives around and near where her bike was found? I'm assuming that block is lined with homes - any body know? TIA

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eyes4crime For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast