Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    I'm glad more is coming out about this - after the initial report I was searching all the local news and found very little.

The fact that she was in her PJs intrigues me - you tend to think she had an argument with her folks and took off. But the parents say she just wanted to ride her bike to cool off. It's been pretty cold in the evenings this week, to the point where if I wasn't so well insulated myself I'd be putting on a jacket to walk the dog. They live on the far North end of Reno while we're on the South end and it gets cooler up there as well.
    Hey ******,
    Thanks for that weather info.. the hot thing.. interesting... It has been VERY COLD here in Kansas this fall as well... Today felt like a late November/early December day. The weather forcasters here are calling for the coldest winter in a while (dammit! LOL)
    ~knowing what you said about the current weather gives me pause. Was she really hot? Could she have used it as an excuse to independantly try out the bike that she just learned to ride? Either way... from what you are saying about the weather... a short sleeved tee was NOT the answer to warmth that day. After reading the scant info that we know about her, I would venture to guess that she was trying out her flying wings on her new bike (I mean she just learned to ride a handful of weeks ago and was most likely feeling more confident to go outside the comfort zone in front of the house). Bottom line tho.. she was a newbie to our country, our culture, etc, etc.. list goes on...~

As for the clothing description... it was a tee shirt and pajama bottoms. It could have been misreporting (ie, that at 630 this girl is out riding her bike in her jammies). I am thinking along the lines that the pants she had on at the time were jammie bottoms.. (like loungers) but not neccessarily that she was dressed and ready to hit the hay. MOO of course

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Don't some parts of the country still have the p.j. bottoms look worn as pants/jeans?

Maybe that is why she was in pj bottoms.

Or she was not going anywhere but in front of the house, but
    outside in your p.j.'s? No teen would go out in p.j's unless it was a fashion statement. Indian culture? I don't know.

Does anyone have the addresses and would be able to do a google map?
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines...orySection=map
    Map on this link of home.
    How far away was the bike found?
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...4&ie=UTF8&z=15
    map (very general as I do not have the exact home location)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
    http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines...orySection=map
    Map on this link of home.
    How far away was the bike found?
    anchor point drive

eta: it has been reported as 1/4 mile from her home (which I don't have the exact addy for)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

My take on the pajamas...if that is indeed what she was wearing...is that she may have been just trying to be comfortable. I got home from work this evening and had my sweats on by 5:30 lol.

I probably would even go outside in them, because I just don't care, but I probably not ride my bike without putting on a jacket. Which does confuse me. Because even in the early evening, it still should have been pretty chilly. Maybe her family had the heat turned way up in their home? And she thought it was too hot in the house?

I also don't think that she would have been worried about being "fashionable". Most of the articles state that she didn't have many friends, so possibly she didn't care what these kids would think if they saw her in pj's.

I really don't know what to think. Just trying to tie the ends together in my head.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

From reading the article below, it sounds like Karamjit has been in the country for 8 months, but didn't start school until this recent school year. That would better explain the lack of friends, IMO. I also snipped a part about a more exact address for the location of her bicycle.

Reno police to widen search for missing North Valleys girl Karamjit Kaur

North Valleys High School students sounded a somber note at their homecoming football game celebration Friday, handing out fliers and putting a sign of one of the halftime floats that said “Help Us Find Our Classmate, Karamjit Kaur.”

[snip]

The family’s missing person report came in at 7:24 p.m. Wednesday, but since it was not a shooting or murder, it was put on a screen as a priority 3, Whan said. An officer called the family about 8 p.m. No one answered so he left a message. At 8:30 p.m., the family called back, and a report was completed and handed to the desk sergeant.

[snip]

On Thursday morning, the search included Raven helicopters and police dogs, he said. They also checked on every registered sex offender in the area.

No Amber Alert was issued because law enforcement needs a vehicle and/or license plate number to help citizens and officers be on the lookout in those instances, Whan said

[snip]

Police found her bicycle at 3 p.m. Thursday about a quarter mile from her home. It had been left at a skateboard park near Silver Lake Elementary School between Red Rock Road and Stead Boulevard northwest of Reno.

More: http://www.rgj.com/article/20091002/...2051/1321/NEWS

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

So much time elapsed before LE really looked for this child...

Sept 30 - Wed. night
    6:30 Karamjit Kaur goes for a bike ride out in front of her house
    7:24 LE is called by family and a message is left
    8:00p LE calls and leaves message - no answer by family
    8:30 LE connects with family by phone

Oct. 1st Thurs AM
    LE searches with helicopters, search dogs, and checks registered SO

3:00p Thurs they find her bike in a ditch 1/4 mile from her home (Skateboard Park) near an elementary school.

4:30p - LE contacts media
    later in evening - begin to stop cars

Fri - nothing???

Sat -

Sorry you guys - this is what I have to do to make sense of times. I wish I had a photographic memory! lol
    Last edited by eyes4crime; 10-03-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: clarification - add additional info
    Please think long and hard before calling a child a 'run-a-way':
    You might be giving a 'perk' to the 'perp'.

Democracy requires the occasional necessity of deferring to the opinions of other people. (Winston Churchill)

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eyes4crime For This Useful Post:

Here's an article from today's paper that has more detail:

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...1/91002051&s=d

[soapbox]

The police here have a very strong union and are some of the highest paid in the nation, and as a result we cannot afford a large number of them. So some things like this do not get immediate attention. I am a strong supporter of LE but I have had more than one personal experience with this problem.

[/soapbox]

With that said, it looks like the police did get right on in based on the report in the paper:

"...The family’s missing person report came in at 7:24 p.m. Wednesday, but since it was not a shooting or murder, it was put on a screen as a priority 3, Whan said. An officer called the family about 8 p.m. No one answered so he left a message. At 8:30 p.m., the family called back, and a report was completed and handed to the desk sergeant..."

That was Wednesday night.

"...On Thursday morning, the search included Raven helicopters and police dogs, he said. They also checked on every registered sex offender in the area...Police started asking for the public’s help through the media about 4:30 p.m. Thursday. Later that evening, police stopped cars in the area of Karamjit’s neighborhood, asking residents if they had seen the girl..."
    Hi ****** - no offense to LE but I'm beginning to think NO LE, anywhere, have the means to look for a child within the first 3 crucial hours. Also, it seems that most LE do not have the money for inputting DNA and other crucial evidence into the system. Guess I'm alarmed by this, and more so every day.
    Please think long and hard before calling a child a 'run-a-way':
    You might be giving a 'perk' to the 'perp'.

Democracy requires the occasional necessity of deferring to the opinions of other people. (Winston Churchill)

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eyes4crime For This Useful Post:

Update in the paper:

Police have received several tips to follow in search for missing Karamjit Kaur

"...The tips have been about girls who look like Kaur and also about suspicious people in the North Valleys area, Whan said. They are following up on Secret Witness reports..."
    I hope these tips lead somewhere.

Further updates from your link above:

"By foot, on all-terrain vehicles and their four-wheel-drive vehicles, they are inspecting brushy fields, parking lots, and landscaped areas near industrial buildings in the area of Moya and Lear boulevards."

and

"As a precaution, Fox planned to have a cadaver dog inspect a nearby area where some recent digging has occurred."

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Searchers comb fields for missing Reno girl

Searchers on foot and ATVs are combing fields and other areas near where a 16-year-old Reno girl was last seen while riding a bicycle three days ago.

Police suspect foul play in Wednesday evening's disappearance of Karamjit Kaur (core), a North Valleys High School sophomore who moved with her family from East India to Reno eight months ago.

Searchers also have inspected Dumpsters, parking lots and under bridges near where Kaur vanished.

More: http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_13479336

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

3 teen boys sought who may have seen missing girl Karamjit Kaur

A witness reports seeing three male juveniles in the area of Becon Cove and Moya Boulevard on Wednesday night between 6:45 and 7 p.m., Reno police report.

It's believed these juveniles were riding a skateboard in the area and possibly saw the missing girl Karamjt Kaur riding her bike. Information on direction of travel or if she was with anybody else is critical information.

These three males are described as follows:

#1- Possible Asian male, 13 to 15 years of age, wearing glasses, long black suit coat, tan shorts, black high-top tennis shoes and white socks.

#2- Possible white male, 13 to 15 years of age, with long hair and wearing a white T-shirt and tan shorts.

#3- Possible Hispanic male, 13 to 15 years of age, with a skateboard and wearing gray shorts and brownish T-shirt.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091003/...0001/1321/news

Also from above link:

The father of missing Karamjit Kaur implores whoever has taken his daughter to return her safely to her Reno home.

"Whoever took her, bring her back safely. Drop her off. We just want her back," said Surinder Mathon, 50.
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 10-03-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: adding info

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Bring Bri Justice Foundation handing out fliers for missing Karamjit Kaur

At the Bring Bri Justice Foundation — formed in the wake of the 2008 abduction of Brianna Denison — volunteers are handing out fliers for people to distribute in effort to aid the search. The foundation is located at 5000 Smithridge Dr., Suite 9.

[snip]

About 3,000 fliers have been printed by the foundation and the Reno Police Department and 500 to 700 had already been distributed by about 10:30 a.m., Waddell said.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091003/...3005/1321/news

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

I hope all this effort brings her home safe very soon.

Maz

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazama For This Useful Post:

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091003/...-Karamjit-Kaur

secret witness is offering a reward in this case

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast