Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NV - Karamjit Kaur, 16, Reno, 30 Sept 2009

I think if the boys had anything to do with her disappearance it will come out, most teens are not very good at keeping a secret like that and the stories will start to change.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieR For This Useful Post:

Search for missing Reno girl continues with new clues

Search teams plan to continue today looking for a 16-year-old Stead girl who has not been seen since Wednesday evening.

Reno police Lt. Mike Whan said Sunday that investigators cannot definitively say what happened to Karajmit Kaur, who was rarely out of her family's sight. Three boys found her bike about a block away from her home, roughly 15 minutes after her mother said she was last seen

"She either got into a vehicle voluntarily, or she was abducted," Whan said. "Right now, we are following up on leads. We are not certain if a kidnapper is on the loose, or if she ran away. Until we know, this is an abduction."

Much more: http://www.rgj.com/article/20091005/...with-new-clues
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW
    STILL DOING IT FOR DYLAN GROENE. REST IN PEACE.

HELP FIND MISSING 7-YEAR-OLD PATRICK ALFORD.

FOOTY/SOCCER FAN? Join us here.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

F0UND! Praise God!

Karamjit was located at America’s Best Inn in Merrillville with her brother-in-law, Parvinder Singh.

Karamjit was unharmed and is now in police custody.
    http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/63521747.html#
    Last edited by christine2448; 10-05-2009 at 10:51 AM.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to christine2448 For This Useful Post:

Police: Missing Stead girl located in Indiana with brother-in-law

"...Karamjit Kaur, who was reported missing on Wednesday night, was found in a hotel with her brother-in-law, Parvinder Singh, Reno police Lt. Mike Whan said. Kaur was unharmed and is now in police custody, Whan said...."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

"I'll put it this way: I certainly wouldn't want her behind me in a knife fight." -- me

Email me

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Mazama is offline Family Historian - Amateur Skeleton Hunter
    I am so glad they found her safe and well.

That brother in law sure has a lot of explaining to do. Sounds like some inappropriate behavior might have been happening. Maybe...

Maz

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazama For This Useful Post:

Local news is now reporting "A budding romance with her pregnant sister's husband", but no article to link to yet. Will keep checking.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

"I'll put it this way: I certainly wouldn't want her behind me in a knife fight." -- me

Email me

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Family must have noticed the BIL's absence at the same time right?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    You'd think so.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christine2448 For This Useful Post:

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091005/...2Fbreakingnews

"...Update at 10:45 a.m.: A budding romance with her pregnant sister’s new husband is seemingly what led to the disappearance of a 16-year-old girl who was found unharmed by police Monday morning in Indiana, authorities said..."

"...Police credit Kaur’s classmates for reporting Secret Witness tips that a man older than her — not her father — had been visiting with her during school breaks. Those tips led police to Singh, who had been visiting the Kaur family the last few weeks and was supposed to return to Indiana two days before Kaur went missing. Police said he left instead on Wednesday night, taking Kaur with him..."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

So thankful she was found alive and safe.
    But. Her brother in law, her pregnant sister's husband?
    Oh my.
    Well, I guess he may be spending some time in jail.
    And not welcome at the family holidays.
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
    So thankful she was found alive and safe.
    But. Her brother in law, her pregnant sister's husband?
    Oh my.
    Well, I guess he may be spending some time in jail.
    And not welcome at the family holidays.
    Yeah, it's odd all right.

We still don't KNOW if she went voluntarily or he grabbed her. Without her ID there's no way to fly, so I assume they drove back there. It's about 2,000 miles, and if he was the only one driving it would take at least 3 days to be safe, which means that perhaps the first time they could have been found is Sunday.

Thanksgiving dinner may be a little tense this year.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

22. The Following User Says Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Interesting comment on the above article:

This brother in law had been visiting her at her high school for weeks. I thank heavens we called the police and our son talked to them and identified the man in a picture. Without this a lot of valuable time would of been wasted.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    From the article:

"...[Reno PD Lt.] Whan said the pair orchestrated her disappearance during the weeks Singh had been living in Kaurís home. Singh co-owns a convenience store in Merrillville, Ind., where about 30,000 people reside. Earlier this year, Singh married one of Kaurís three sisters, who is several months pregnant. Police learned that sister lived with Singh in Indiana for a couple weeks, but returned to her parentís home to prepare for giving birth..."
    Just as an aside, when Mrs. Adnoid was preparing to give birth "going to her parent's house" would have ranked right up there with "give me a root canal and a colonoscopy while I'm here" as far as things she would want to have happen...

What is starting to irritate me is that it appears the family almost certainly had some idea what was going on, yet we are hearing that it was other students at her school that tipped the police to the "older man" that visited her. What with the BIL's unscheduled departure that coincided with the girl's disappearance I would have expected to hear about this earlier.

Perhaps the authorities DID know about it and kept quiet so as not to tip them off - I'll keep that thought for now.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Wow I am just glad she is safe and her parents will have her home tonight.

Wow. When I saw that Karamjit had been found safe, my jaw honestly dropped. I was not expecting it. But I am so very thankful that she is safe. The circumstances are so bizarre, especially since she was found with a family member. At least the students at her school were talking and trying to help, because her immediately family certainly didn't seem to put 2+2 together, or didn't want to for some reason. But I'm not going to place any blame anywhere except for the BIL...for now.
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    It seems at first glance that karmajit did NOT know this guy for long... just for a period of weeks! It think more charges will be coming (i hope)..

Karmajit! I am glad you are home safely!
    This bee my opinion

31. The Following User Says Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

I'm glad she's safe - that wasn't the way I thought this would go. But really, ewwwwwww! Shame on the BIL for thinking he could and/or should get away with this.

Something that is really bugging me, besides the "relationship" between the two, is the abduction aspect. LE says that they treated this as an abduction from the get-go. And yes, they did. And I applaud their efforts and their hard work to get Karamjit home safe. However...if this was an abduction from the beginning, where was the AMBER Alert?!?! (I know, it didn't meet the criteria, but that's exactly my point.)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho4Groenes View Post
    Something that is really bugging me, besides the "relationship" between the two, is the abduction aspect. LE says that they treated this as an abduction from the get-go. And yes, they did. And I applaud their efforts and their hard work to get Karamjit home safe. However...if this was an abduction from the beginning, where was the AMBER Alert?!?! (I know, it didn't meet the criteria, but that's exactly my point.)
    It's a good question. As you already said, and Amber Alert requires certain conditions:

http://www.amberalert.gov/guidelines.htm

Now, in this case, i HAVE to believe the family had some idea:

--That the BIL disappeared at the same time she did;
    --That he must have been driving, because without ID she couldn't get on a plane;
    --They knew the description of both of them.

It could be that the family held off from revealing the info about the BIL, in fact, the reports are that her classmates at school opened up that door. Perhaps at that point it was too late, OR they quickly tracked him down.

I'm sure we'll learn more. There has GOT to be a prosecution of the BIL or I'm really going to lose faith in our justice system.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

36. The Following User Says Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

I hope the folks in this case aren't going to write this off as a cultural thing. 29 - 16 = yuck! Reno is not India and the BIL's WIFE is pregnant with his child, FGS. No excuses - all around.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

Police say missing Reno girl plotted with brother-in-law to leave home

"...Police said Singh took Kaur with him Wednesday night on a commercial flight to Indiana..."

Well, I was wrong earlier - she must have had some sort of ID with her. And it's pretty clear now that she was NOT abducted by the BIL, so I'm starting to think there won't be any charges.

I wonder how it will work out, though. I believe the age of consent in Nevada is 16, so they can't get him on statutory rape. There is no age of consent to be kidnapped, however, and since she was a minor under 18 I hope and pray they can get him for that.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Authorities mull charges for brother-in-law in Stead runaway case

"...Reno police say they are meeting with the Nevada Attorney Generalís Office to discuss the case, while FBI officials said they are considering what charges, if any, could be filed.

Complicating the issue is that Karamjit Kaur is 16, which is the legal age in Nevada to consent to sex. She was also in the company of a relative, Parvinder Singh. He married one of Kaurís three sisters in April, who is now several months pregnant. It was an arranged marriage, which is common in their Sikh religion, authorities said..."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

I know we're supposed to celebrate diversity and all that, but I'm not clear what sort of enlightenment I'm supposed to gain from treating women like chattels.

Also - I fly a bit, and I cannot find any way to fly from Reno to Chicago leaving that late in the evening. There is one way to do it via San Francisco that I've figured out, but I'm wondering if they stayed in town Wednesday night and left Thursday morning?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

44. The Following User Says Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jolynna View Post
    ...There is a thread here about the double murder. I posted about it here when it happened...
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1498542#post1498542"]Warsaw man kills his wife and a service station owner. - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Here you go.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    wow! I actually recall that case now!..... ya know... karamjit's case is making a bit more sense to me now... knowing the cultural backstory (or rather I can figure how it may have come to be..)
    This bee my opinion

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast