788 users online (143 members and 645 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Snufamonbobball is offline But O for the touch of the vanished hand & the sound of the voice that is still.
    I have submitted this to NCMEC. I called LA Sheriff (# was at the bottom of her NCMEC poster) And they refused to take a report. Literally REFUSED. I even offered to fax the info of the missing girl and unidentified body to them. They said since she was missing from Ontario, CA- she wasn't their case. I said- But her body was found in your jurisdiction- so I figure, they probably get a lot of calls that go nowhere, but I bet they'll listen if NCMEC calls.

Called NCMEC, she looked at the Charley page and then at the LA coroner website, and she said at first look it would appear to be a match, but it will be checked out by their cold case team asap. She also said they get calls all the time, and this was one of the first she had seen that made her say- "that's the person".

I hope this Doe can now (i know its cliche) RIP.

Always Appreciating.
    Snufamonbobball
    The more I get to know some people, the more I like my cats!

That looks like an excellent match. I hope this solves both the disappearance and the UID!

Good work!.

My vote is YES.
    Everything matches, even the garter belt hoops and black lace bra
    could be from her exotic dancer job that evening.
    Face... looks like her, IMO.

Edit: sorry, I read the details from the link wrong... It does not specify working that night, just her place of employment.
    Last edited by whisperOFwings; 10-03-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: oops

I have a very slight reservation on this - in that the timeline may be "too good to be true."

What I mean by that is:

1. Dawn is reported as missing on February 1, 1993;
    2. The UID was found on February 7, 1993.

If Dawn's missing date is the date she left Canada, it only allows 6 days for her to get to LA, get a job, be located or call home and say where she was, and be killed. She apparently ran away in 1993, implying that she had been in the area for a maximum of a month and probably less.

On the other hand if she was known to be working there as of February 1, and that's the last date of contact, then the timeline seems perfect - enough time for her to be within her regular contact routine, get into trouble, maybe be kidnapped and held for a short time, and body dump to discovery, without there being too much decomposition.

The point is that if we can get clarification of the timeline we may be able to rule this one out even if we don't have the cooperation of local LE where the body was found.

Edited to add:

More info here
    Last edited by Cymro; 10-03-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Edited to add NCMEC link

Snufamonbobball is offline But O for the touch of the vanished hand & the sound of the voice that is still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    I have a very slight reservation on this - in that the timeline may be "too good to be true."

What I mean by that is:

1. Dawn is reported as missing on February 1, 1993;
    2. The UID was found on February 7, 1993.

If Dawn's missing date is the date she left Canada, it only allows 6 days for her to get to LA, get a job, be located or call home and say where she was, and be killed. She apparently ran away in 1993, implying that she had been in the area for a maximum of a month and probably less.

On the other hand if she was known to be working there as of February 1, and that's the last date of contact, then the timeline seems perfect - enough time for her to be within her regular contact routine, get into trouble, maybe be kidnapped and held for a short time, and body dump to discovery, without there being too much decomposition.

The point is that if we can get clarification of the timeline we may be able to rule this one out even if we don't have the cooperation of local LE where the body was found.

Edited to add:

More info here
    Dawn is from Ontario, California, not Ontario, Canada.
    Last edited by Snufamonbobball; 10-03-2009 at 03:49 PM.

D-oh. I suppose the Ca being the abbreviation for California and the internet country code for Canada didn't help any, in my defense...

I really do not want to be negative, but even if we take the travel time out of the equation altogether we still have the fact that she is listed as a runaway (i.e., not in regular contact with home) and yet there is only six days between the date missing and the date of recovery.

On the other hand Tawni Lee Mazzone ("Maricopa Jane Doe") was found in her local area after four days and remained unidentified for nearly a decade... so it's entirely possible. I just think that if LE doesn't cooperate we need to look into the timeline a little deeper if at all possible.
    Last edited by Cymro; 10-03-2009 at 03:52 PM.

No problems here Cymro- you're not being negative, just taking a healthy second look approach, and there isn't anything wrong with that. LE gets a lot of calls that turn out to be a wild goose chase, so I agree it's best to have your ducks (or geese) in a row before contacting them.

Dawn was listed on NAMUS in July of this year, but as far as i can tell, she was not listed anywhere else before now.

I just received a call just a couple of minutes ago from Dawn's case manager on NAMUS. He said they will be contacting the LA coroner shortly to pull dentals and DNA. He said he would keep me up to date, and he feels this has a good possibility to be a match. He will keep me up to date as things move along.

Appreciating All.
    Snufamonbobball

Keeping fingers crossed. Nice work Snufamonbobball!

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Good job - keep us posted. I vote for a match, too... which makes me both happy and sad at the same time.

WOW, they sure do look alike. Here's hoping it's a match.

I vote for match, and one of the better ones I have seen. Please keep us posted. It seems like a very good possibility and kudos to you.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Snufamonbobball- KUDOS to you on one of the best possible matches I've seen! I can't believe the initial reluctance to investigate the possibility of it being Dawn-it seems like they should have figured this one out 16 years ago. I have a feeling that you may have just helped eased one family's torturous pain. Hugs to you for your diligence and sleuthing skills! Kudos to all of the members here trying to help families find closure and peace.

ETA How can a 17 year old be working as an exotic dancer? Shouldn't the place of business been shut down since they had an underage girl in that kind of environment?
    Last edited by spamelope; 10-04-2009 at 12:22 AM.

Looks like a good match!

That is close--all the details.

Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by spamelope View Post
    ETA How can a 17 year old be working as an exotic dancer? Shouldn't the place of business been shut down since they had an underage girl in that kind of environment?
    We all know what kind of fine upstanding people run those dance clubs. I'm sure they followed the letter of the law every single day...

Maz

A big to Snufamonbobball, it looks good to me too.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast