537 users online (74 members and 463 guests)  

Websleuths News

SF Bay Area, CA

Smile Siberian husky plays foster mother to kittens

By Martin Snapp
    Posted: 10/04/2009 12:00:00 AM PDT
    OAKLAND When Sarah Kidder adopted a 12-year-old female Siberian husky named Tamerack last year, she knew she was getting a loving, friendly playful dog. But she never suspected that Tamerack had a hidden talent: as a foster kitten raiser.
    It all started last month, when Kidder, who lives in the Grand Lake area, was taking Tamerack for a walk.
    "About a block away, I saw this beautiful, blue-eyed, chocolate point Siamese adult and two little black kittens playing in a driveway," she said. "I was like, 'Why would those little kittens be there?'"
    After talking with the neighbors, Kidder found out that the family who lived there had moved away and abandoned the Siamese which she assumed was the mom and the two kittens. So she decided to take them home.
    "It wasn't safe for them to be out there. And we don't need any more feral cats in the neighborhood, because they would keep on breeding. Plus, they were just ridiculously cute."
    That's when Tamerack unveiled her hidden talent."She was like, 'Oooh, kittens!' I was a little concerned at first because she was so excited, but then I realized she was excited because she wanted to mother them. She would follow them around and lick their heads and make sure they were OK. After 24 hours, they started following her around. Whenever she sat down, they sat down, too."
    By the next day, Tamerack was sharing her food with her little feline friends.
    "Even when she was gnawing on a bone, she'd let them munch on it, too. I just sat there, slack-jawed, for a week." Now Tamerack and her kittens are inseparable. They sleep together, eat together and play together. more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/weir...nclick_check=1
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

Land of Wheat
    Awww thanks for posting this. I had a Pyr mix who nursed kittens and other dogs' pups. In fact, our Keshond had 3 pups she was terrified of (she was sweet, but neurotic), and the Pyr just took over all mothering duties from day one. I love heartwarming animal stories, especially after reading some of the gruesome threads here. Thanks again.

I was going to post the same thing spamelope. I love hearing these stories.