GA - Millan Young, 5 wks, beaten to death, Marietta, 4 July 2009

Native New Yorker

Reaction score
http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/12-year-old-murder-154926.html?cxtype=rss_news_82003

"A judge will decide this week if a 12-year-old boy is guilty of killing his 5-week-old cousin outside a Marietta Target.'

[ "Police arrested the boy July 4 after the baby's mother, Brittany Young, found the infant unresponsive. The mother, 22, told police she left her daughter, Millan Young, in the car with the boy while she ran into the Target.
“The baby got fussy and he tried to comfort the baby in different manners,” Cobb County Police Officer Dennis Ryan told the judge last month.
Paramedics rushed the baby to the hospital, where she died the next day. She had multiple skull fractures, Ryan said."

I am conflicted about this case. On on hand, I want to put some blame on the mother, she should have just taken the baby in with her. I mean, seriously how much trouble is it to take the baby out of the car seat? On the other hand, the 12 year old is obviously old enough to know better than to hit an infant in the head. Sigh...RIP little angel.

I'm sorry, but I'm always skeptical when a young person (under the age of say thirteen) is blamed for the death of an infant. It's possible it could very well have happened the way the mother says.

I'd like to know two things: Why did the mother leave the children in the car at all let alone in July? And two: Why was the boy staying with his aunt for the summer? Especially when she just had a baby of her own to take care of?

There is a big questions mark hanging over this one-I agree with those who feel that way. What if the child was put into the car with massive head injuries and then started to fuss?

good points, January and Believe...though when I first read about this case, it did sound as if they had statements from the 12 year old, which implicated him, still......

Just me...when my kids were little I never left them in the car, even to run in 7-11 for a gallon of milk. It made me re-think the need for milk many times. :innocent:

I'm certainly not blaming anyone. This was my preference. Hold the baby, hold the other's hand, hold the milk with a dangling finger...

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/autopsy-dead-baby-shaken-236339.html?cxtype=rss_news_82003

"
Throughout the doctors' testimony, the 12-year-old dozed off. The judge stopped the testimony twice to wake the boy. He then ordered his mother to sit next to him and keep him awake.
The boy has pleaded not guilty to charges of murder and cruelty to children."

also note where the 12 year old's mother covered his eyes so he would not have to see the pics of the poor dead child.

It's just wonderful that he's in a group home and able to attend school.....EYEROLL.....

IMO He should have been charged as an adult. In 18 minutes, he deliberately murdered that baby. Then he repeatedly lied about it.

after reading the articles I'm not sure this kid is guilty. the judge said the testimony the kid gave can not be heard in court. the mom is heard on the tape just before the kid says he dropped the baby saying you can't go home till you tell the truth, and firefighters said the mom acted as if she was in a daze. In one article it said she had bruises all over her body. I don't know maybe i'm just hoping he didn't do it....

Also why would you leave a 5 week old with a 12 yr old in the car for 18 minutes while you shop? you can put a carseat on a buggy. I still don't let my 13 yr old sit in the car while I go in the store to shop. gas station yes, target or walmart no!

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/autopsy-dead-baby-shaken-236339.html?cxtype=rss_news_82003

"
Throughout the doctors' testimony, the 12-year-old dozed off. The judge stopped the testimony twice to wake the boy. He then ordered his mother to sit next to him and keep him awake.
The boy has pleaded not guilty to charges of murder and cruelty to children."

also note where the 12 year old's mother covered his eyes so he would not have to see the pics of the poor dead child.

bolded by me.

How do you spell "enabler" ? This makes me so angry!! Maybe it even gives a clue as to how this kid got to be this way. Or not--he might be a born sociopath.

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/1212-year-old-found-238077.html?cxtype=rss_news_82003

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/12-year-old-found-238077.html?cxtype=rss_news_82003

"Moments after being found not guilty of murder, a 12-year-old boy skipped through the courtroom halls and ran to the vending machine."

"A judge found the sixth grader not guilty of killing his 5-week-old cousin, Millan Young, but guilty of two counts of misdemeanor battery in her death.
“What I found is that you did some things wrong," Cobb County Juvenile Court Judge Gregory Poole explained to the boy Friday. "I haven’t found you did something as bad as they say you did.”"

"Poole said there was no evidence that the boy intended to harm the baby.
"He was scared and didn’t know what to do so he tried everything he could to get the baby to stop crying. He didn’t know what to do and I don’t expect him to know what to do," the judge said. "In order to get the baby to get quiet, he committed batteries against this baby."
The judge said his ruling became clear when he saw the tiny pink onesie the baby was wearing when she was injured. That’s when he realized just how delicate and small the baby was. An active child like the boy could have easily harmed the baby just by not being careful, he said."

I hope the mother of this child gets him some help. I think he has a lot of issues. I don't think the baby could have gotten the injuries that she did by him not being careful with her.

I was so relieved to hear the Judge's decision.

Perhaps someone can answer me this. How strong is medical testimony concerning shaken or injured infants? I have always had some real misgivings regarding this type of testimony and in this case it sounds like the Judge did not buy it.

My continued prayers for this family.

Well, no matter what, the mother should not have left such a young baby, an infant, with this child. No reason why she could not have taken the infant inside with her.
The defense did try to bring up possible prior abuse, but that does not seem consistent with the autopsy results. No matter what, I do not think that any mother should leave an infant with anyone but an adult, unless it is perhaps a trained babysitter.

Well, no matter what, the mother should not have left such a young baby, an infant, with this child. No reason why she could not have taken the infant inside with her.
The defense did try to bring up possible prior abuse, but that does not seem consistent with the autopsy results. No matter what, I do not think that any mother should leave an infant with anyone but an adult, unless it is perhaps a trained babysitter.

When I was 12, I could absolutely be left in a car with an infant for 17 minutes. And sometimes I WAS since one of my sisters is 10+ years younger. So I disagree that it is always a bad idea. If time spent on Websleuths tells us anything, it's that some children are better off left with 12 year olds than with adults.

I am sure they investigated charging the mother (given the final outcome), however, the boy had no history of being overtly aggressive or dangerous and there is no law in Georgia of which I am aware that says you can't leave a younger child with an older one - especially for a brief period of time.

Given the way this turned out, I'm sure the mother would like to revisit the decision she made that day. But I can't hold it against her.

Unless this young man was used to taking care of infants, the way an older sibling would be, I still cannot see leaving it IN THE CAR with him. Sorry, but that is just me.

I have not read all the articles, but I agree with the argument that an infant should not be left in a car with an older child. I agree because I don't think EITHER an infant or an older child should be left in a car. Especially in July unless maybe they are in Australia. NO child should be left in a car that a responsible adult can not see at all times. Yes, a 12 year old could be left in the car at 7-11 but NEVER at Wal-mart, K-mart, Target or anywhere else where the parking lot is large and the adult can not see the car at all times.

What is it Marc says - 60 minutes equals 60 miles. It is NOT uncommon for 12 year olds to be snatched.

Salem

when I was 12, I was babysitting the neighbours kids and one of them was a baby - in fact I think I started when I was 11

now, I realize today times are different I suppose & granted, their house was right next door to ours but still

if 12 year olds can legally babysit (they used to offer babysitting courses here starting at age 12 & I took it), then why can't a 12 year old be left in a car for 18 minutes with a baby?

I know the obvious answer is b/c things like this happen! however, I do think it's an individualized decision and unfortunately, that mother did not make the right decision

and obviously, the boy needs help and even moreso now but let's not forget that the mother put that burden on him for her convenience

was he an experienced babysitter? did she know him to be of good character/mentally balanced/mature for his age or did she just not think about it b/c she needed to run into a store for 18 minutes?

I realize it looks like I'm waffling here - just trying to make sense of it in context of my personal experience & I guess my conclusion is that yes, some 12 year olds are capable of watching an infant but that parents should exercise extreme caution in deciding to allow it ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back