GUILTY NH - Kimberly Cates, 42, dead, 11yo girl maimed, Mont Vernon, 4 Oct 2009

IWannaKnow

Reaction score
Prosecutors Say Machete, Knife Used In Mont Vernon Killing
AG: Woman Stabbed While In Bed

http://www.wmur.com/news/21213678/detail.html

"Senior Assistant Attorney General Will Delker said Cates' home was chosen because it was on an isolated road. He said that Cates was stabbed to death in her bed, while her daughter was seriously injured and had to undergo surgery.

"The homeowner was killed in her bed, and a young child was very, very seriously injured," Delker said. "The information that the state has developed to date is that all four of these defendants were aware before they entered the home that the intent was to kill."

Apparently these four losers drove over there at 1:00 am on Sunday morning armed with a machete and a knife to rob and kill this woman because she had a home in an isolated area. I have to wonder if they dreamed this up watching some of the movies that are so popular these days, like "Funny Games" and another one I can't think of the name of....

That's just horrible! I hope these monsters never see freedom again. :furious:

Looking at the picture of the house, it doesn't appear to be the home of a very wealthy person---why would they target a middle-income family to rob? Did they know she was a nurse and thought maybe she'd have meds. around the home? Why would it have to be a "given" that murder was part of the robbery plan if they didn't know her? And how in the heck can young men chop up a woman and an 11 year old little girl?

I am just so sick of hearing about crimes like this. Just had to let off a little steam.

This is why women living in isolated areas need a dog or siren blasting alarm system. My first thought was how did they know a man was not there. Just a senseless crime.

I agree with you RayStar. In addition to a blaring siren, I don't think having a gun (legally) in the home is a bad idea either. A lot of women are getting their concealed weapons permits and learning to shoot these days.

I feel so terrible for this family. I pray that these guys are all put away for the maximum amount of time (I wish it could be forever).

This is why women living in isolated areas need a dog or siren blasting alarm system. My first thought was how did they know a man was not there. Just a senseless crime.

They may not have cared if a man were there. There were 4 of them (I think) vs. 1 man, if one were present.

What a horrible thing for that little girl to have to deal with now, and with no mom to help her. I doubt they care, though.

Looking at the picture of the house, it doesn't appear to be the home of a very wealthy person---why would they target a middle-income family to rob? Did they know she was a nurse and thought maybe she'd have meds. around the home? Why would it have to be a "given" that murder was part of the robbery plan if they didn't know her? And how in the heck can young men chop up a woman and an 11 year old little girl?

I am just so sick of hearing about crimes like this. Just had to let off a little steam.

From various articles I've read over the past few days, I'm getting the impression that this was more about killing and mayhem than robbery. It seems one of the dad's is the one who is pushing the robbery idea and that the murder wasn't planned.

Also the fact that mom, IIRC, was hacked to death in bed, kinda shows priority right there. They killed her right off while she was sleeping.

Also the fact that mom, IIRC, was hacked to death in bed, kinda shows priority right there. They killed her right off while she was sleeping.

It's hard to read about this crime without getting physically sick, knowing that there are people like this out here.

We've been mulling over getting an alarm on the house. This crime is reason enough not to put it off any longer.

Sounds like a random "thrill kill."

Of course, this crime is going to focus the microscope on pop culture even further. The media is always going to look for some external influence to scapegoat. Apparently, one of the killers updated his status to mention he had fun (hanging out with one of the other killers) and watching Dexter.

WTH is wrong with people? These young men need to be locked up in prison for the remainder of their lives.
They just viciously stabbed to death a mother in front of her 11 year old daughter, who they stabbed as well and the 11 year old underwent surgery and survived.
Not only does the poor child have to deal with the loss of her mother, and her own wounds, how is she ever supposed to heal psychologically from this???
They just ruined so many lives, it's disgusting, i really don't understand some of these younger generations at all.

I agree absynthminded, it does sound like a thrill kill. Those men probably knew exactly how many people lived in that house. If their intentions were to just rob the house, there would be no need for them to bring knives and a machete. 4 men could easily control a woman and an 11 year old girl. It's disgusting.. robbery was probably an afterthought/excuse.
They all need 1st degree murder charges!!

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/21230963/detail.html

"BOSTON -- The father of a girl who dated one of the four teens accused in a gruesome attack that claimed the life of a New Hampshire woman says he saw violent tendencies in the teen."

"Police said the four teenagers, led by Spader and Gribble, chose the Cates' Trow Road home because of its secluded location. Officials said that their goal was to rob the home with the intention of killing everyone inside."

http://wbztv.com/local/mother.murdered.mont.2.1233100.html

"James Marks is shocked his son, 18-year-old William Marks, was allegedly involved in a plot to rob a home and kill anyone who got in the way.."

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091007/NEWS01/910079998/-1/YOUTH

Two of them face first-degree murder, attempted murder and conspiracy to murder. The other two face burglary, conspiracy to burglary, and robbery.

"Regarding Marks and Glover, he said, “Those two defendants were aware, going into the home, that if there was someone in the home they were going to have to kill them.”

Delker declined to comment on whether the house was locked or how the teens got inside.

Cates' husband, David Cates, 44, was out of town on a business trip at the time, prosecutors have said."

How can anyone even think like that??!! They decide to kill everyone inside??!

I hope the woman went directly from being asleep to being unconscious during the attack, rather than experiencing terror and fear for her daughter.

These boys and the boys that killed Keighley Alyea down in KS all look the same - like a bunch of skinheads - and they're all the same ages. WTH is going on with these kids? I have a son this age and he wouldn't hurt a fly! I just don't understand where this kind of cold-blooded rage and utter disregard for human life comes from. Something is terribly, terribly wrong.

These boys and the boys that killed Keighley Alyea down in KS all look the same - like a bunch of skinheads - and they're all the same ages. WTH is going on with these kids? I have a son this age and he wouldn't hurt a fly! I just don't understand where this kind of cold-blooded rage and utter disregard for human life comes from. Something is terribly, terribly wrong.

I think it's a sign of the times Fairy. The movies, music, internet, video games all desensitize kids to killing and death. Sometimes its even glorified. Because the news blasts us with gory details, I think there are more copycats too. Look at how many bludgeonings of 4+ people have occurred in the last month or so. Its like a disease. Personally, I think its going to get worse until parents get a little more involved throughout these kids lives.

I agree with you RayStar. In addition to a blaring siren, I don't think having a gun (legally) in the home is a bad idea either. A lot of women are getting their concealed weapons permits and learning to shoot these days.

I feel so terrible for this family. I pray that these guys are all put away for the maximum amount of time (I wish it could be forever).

I know it's not really popular to admit to this, but my husband has made sure that I am armed and knowledgeable about how to effectively use those arms. Our home is armed, and legally registered. My sweetheart was frequently gone from home for three weeks every month when I was a young wife and a mom of toddlers and babies. He told me that I was to never give the benefit of the doubt to any intruder, and to shoot to kill or don't bother to shoot at all. Because we had babies, all the guns were unarmed, with bullets near-by....that was MY rule! Hubby strongly argued that by the time I located bullets and loaded the gun, I would have been dead for fifteen minutes.

We also have a teddy bear who poses as a pitbull----lots of noise, lots of tail wagging! He is so gentle that I don't know for sure if he would attack someone who was attacking me, but I tell myself he would, so I can sleep at night!

Thank God I never have had to defend myself or my children, and I have always wondered if I would have been able to pull the trigger. Honestly, as a mom of 5 boys, I don't know if I could shoot a teenage boy.....I'd probably hesitate and try to love him out of his intentions. Course, he'd then shoot me dead, or worse, chop me to death with a machete.

From various articles I've read over the past few days, I'm getting the impression that this was more about killing and mayhem than robbery. It seems one of the dad's is the one who is pushing the robbery idea and that the murder wasn't planned.

I think you are right, Suzie. I understand the dad's confusion about it, however, because how could you immediately process the fact that your own baby boy was a cold blooded murderer?

It's hard to read about this crime without getting physically sick, knowing that there are people like this out here.

We've been mulling over getting an alarm on the house. This crime is reason enough not to put it off any longer.

I agree. Our society has become so dangerous, we must do all we can to protect and defend our families.

I hope the woman went directly from being asleep to being unconscious during the attack, rather than experiencing terror and fear for her daughter.

Me, too. How horrible would it be to be conscious that your baby was being viciously attacked and be unable to help her?

I think it's a sign of the times Fairy. The movies, music, internet, video games all desensitize kids to killing and death. Sometimes its even glorified. Because the news blasts us with gory details, I think there are more copycats too. Look at how many bludgeonings of 4+ people have occurred in the last month or so. Its like a disease. Personally, I think its going to get worse until parents get a little more involved throughout these kids lives.

OMG. I do think the parenting - or lack thereof - has much to do with it. If that's the case, they should start locking up the loser parents right along with their evil spawn! Maybe then people will get their priorities straight! But I don't understand why so many people have children they don't give a carp about and can't be bothered raising properly.

I know it's not really popular to admit to this, but my husband has made sure that I am armed and knowledgeable about how to effectively use those arms. Our home is armed, and legally registered. My sweetheart was frequently gone from home for three weeks every month when I was a young wife and a mom of toddlers and babies. He told me that I was to never give the benefit of the doubt to any intruder, and to shoot to kill or don't bother to shoot at all. Because we had babies, all the guns were unarmed, with bullets near-by....that was MY rule! Hubby strongly argued that by the time I located bullets and loaded the gun, I would have been dead for fifteen minutes.

We also have a teddy bear who poses as a pitbull----lots of noise, lots of tail wagging! He is so gentle that I don't know for sure if he would attack someone who was attacking me, but I tell myself he would, so I can sleep at night!

Thank God I never have had to defend myself or my children, and I have always wondered if I would have been able to pull the trigger. Honestly, as a mom of 5 boys, I don't know if I could shoot a teenage boy.....I'd probably hesitate and try to love him out of his intentions. Course, he'd then shoot me dead, or worse, chop me to death with a machete.

I think you are right, Suzie. I understand the dad's confusion about it, however, because how could you immediately process the fact that your own baby boy was a cold blooded murderer?

I agree. Our society has become so dangerous, we must do all we can to protect and defend our families.

Me, too. How horrible would it be to be conscious that your baby was being viciously attacked and be unable to help her?

My husband used to travel a lot too and I always slept with a knife on my nightstand. I'm not a fan of guns, but I know myself well enough to know I could fight to the death to protect my children!

And I have a teddy bear Golden Retriever who is on super alert when Daddy is away, but I don't know either if he would actually hurt anyone!

I'm with Spyglass on this one and sincerely hope this woman never really knew what hit her. But if that is the case, no weapon would have helped her. That is the sad truth.

I'm sorry to say it, but these boys need to fry. Anyone that kills for the sport or thrill of it will never be a useful member of any society. IMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back