Volunteers to help improve thread searches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThoughtElf

Former Member
Reaction score
I'm sure many of us go off in search of old posts and threads quite often. Personally, I find it easiest when I can search by thread tags to get the best cross-section of information. (And if you're geeky, then you understand that the latest, greatest thing is the 'semantic web' LOL!)

Unfortuntately, many of the threads lack tags at all, or meaningful ones. Anyone willing to help turn older threads into more useful references by flagging them with keyword tags?

Here are a few samples of useful tagging in older threads:
[ame]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67850[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68030"]Casey's first phone call home from jail - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89862&page=9

Perhaps a good start would be to go back to your favourite bookmarked threads and add tags relevant to specific information within the thread, i.e. hearsay law, polygraph evidence, entomology

We're limited to the number of tags, but if we all check and add keywords as we go, then soon we will have an indexed reference to work with.

Any takers?

I tag almost every thread I come across - I will make an extra effort to do some more from now on.

It would certainly help if people would tag every thread they start. HINT HINT HINT.

LOL. Yep. Look down. Look way down. :D

I hope Cecy shows up and ses this, as when I floated the idea months ago, she was game.

This is my most referenced Caylee case thread and a good example of tagging:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75687"]Procedure and legal questions - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I've been slowly, but surely going back through old threads and adding tags. Likewise, I've been adding them to newer threads as discussions progress recently.

Oh c'mon - who hasn't fantasized about being on a tag-team? :wink:

I will be the first to admit that I am lazy about adding tags. I hereby pledge to put more effort into it and to add tags when I can and where needed. Thank you to all the WSers who do such a great jobs making our searches easier. I will step up my efforts and not take someone elses work for granted.

VBulletin has a great mod which will tag all past threads as well as future. Uses very little resouces and has been a great addition for my forums in terms of SEO.

[ame="http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=201156"]Automatic Thread Tagger for vB3.8 - vBulletin.org Forum[/ame]

VBulletin has a great mod which will tag all past threads as well as future. Uses very little resouces and has been a great addition for my forums in terms of SEO.

Oh, talk more. You speak my favourite language. ;-) Web 3.0 fanatics unite!

How many would you like?

Could we please have at least 20 tags per? SEO works best when you have singlular keywords and combined semantics, IMO. Allows for broad and specific idea searching.

i.e. decomp, decomposition, hair deceomp, hair banding, scientific, body farm, body farm results, scientic studies, cadaver dogs, cadaver dog training

LOL. Yep. Look down. Look way down. :D

I hope Cecy shows up and ses this, as when I floated the idea months ago, she was game.

This is my most referenced Caylee case thread and a good example of tagging:

Procedure and legal questions - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I've been slowly, but surely going back through old threads and adding tags. Likewise, I've been adding them to newer threads as discussions progress recently.

Uh-oh, I've been tagged, lol!

Seriously, I might be able to help out a bit each day. One thing I would propose though, is to perhaps create a list prior of typical tags so that we wouldn't all be using them creatively; this system is very specific with plurals, etc.

Or to create a series of sets and subsets , such as: George, Grand Jury or George, Morgan Depo as headings and then tag from there.

Tagging is a great first step, but we are going to need some kind of Index Guru at some point because even using keywords sometimes nets so many threads or posts that it's cumbersome to wade through.

Oh! We might also want to read through each thread again as we work to make sure there are no errant posts that might be slightly OT but have value and deserve including a tag for that thread even if they have nothing to do with the title.

Thanks everyone. Also, remember when you title a thread, put a good description in there so that it aids with searching.

I have to admit that I'm terribly guilty of not even noticing the tagging system at the bottom of the threads! I will work to help you with this.

Uh-oh, I've been tagged, lol!

Seriously, I might be able to help out a bit each day. One thing I would propose though, is to perhaps create a list prior of typical tags so that we wouldn't all be using them creatively; this system is very specific with plurals, etc.

Or to create a series of sets and subsets , such as: George, Grand Jury or George, Morgan Depo as headings and then tag from there.

Tagging is a great first step, but we are going to need some kind of Index Guru at some point because even using keywords sometimes nets so many threads or posts that it's cumbersome to wade through.

Oh! We might also want to read through each thread again as we work to make sure there are no errant posts that might be slightly OT but have value and deserve including a tag for that thread even if they have nothing to do with the title.

Excellent feedback and ideas. I knew there was a reason I remembered wanting to tag you. ;)

I like the idea of sets & sub-sets. If I am grokking what you're proposing, we could do something like:
EVIDENCE
* Decomposition
- decomp results
- decomp cadaver dogs
- decomp cadaver dog training
- decomp studies
- decomp Body farm
- hair band
* Chloroform
- chloroform searches
- making chloroform
- chloroform results
- chloroform as sedative

LEGAL
* Motions
- motion hearing
- motion hearing audio video
- motion analysis
- motion case law
- motion results
- FL statutes

etc.

Not sure. That look similiar to the dream?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/tags.php

In the search box, type in the first 3 letters and a list of all tags that start with those letters will drop down.

Speaking of searches... do you hapen to have any handy-dandy stats on the most commonly-searched terms in Caylee's forums? That might give us a jump-start for refining our tag terms.

- can you enable tagging on closed threads? Possible?

Others (esp JWG & BJB ;) ) do we want evidence tags as: Q100 or Q-100?

TY

Turning myself in - I'm a tag evader. Actually, I thought they were automated.
I'll do some, too.

I am on WS everyday am & pm and enjoy going to the older threads of last year on this date to see what was being talked about and sleuthed. Having said that, I am computer illiterate but would be more than happy to help. I have found the tag under this thread and others. When clicking the tags it takes you to for example this page. Now please explain to me, as if I were a 5 year old, what I should do when I come upon pertinent information that may want to be explored. How do I get that post or thread as a tag? Are all tags only for threads? I am more than willing to help but as you can read I have not a clue. Sorry, but please explain and I will start ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail