1031 users online (214 members and 817 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 89
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,437

    Phillip C. Knight Institute

    As mentioned elsewhere, Garrido used the alias of "Phillip C. Knight" and Veromi.com shows that he was affilliated with something called The Phillip C. Knight Institute which appears to have been an elemantary and secondary school.

    http://www.veromi.net/Summary.asp?fn...nput=&x=58&y=9

    This factoid has been bothering me and I would like to see what this is all about. Veromi picks up this info from public databases, so there must be a business license or some other "official" paperwork for this entity. I live about three hours away from county officers where a business license would be archived and would prefer not to make the long drive to solve this question, but I will if necessary. But before I do that, I want to see if anybody who is closer to the offices would like to take a look for this paperwork. Any volunteers?
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cereal City & K-zoo
    Posts
    1,023
    I don't live anywhere near there, so I can't go and check any paperwork, sorry. But, I can share my input and see what you think.
    I've been thinking and HOPING since I learned about the "institute" that PG might have simply made the "institute" up in to order register with an online scholastic company to obtain textbooks and materials for home schooling. It's doubtful that any such online business would be so thorough as to do a background check on EVERY or any individual that registers with them. I came up with this theory a couple of weeks ago after fuming for a couple of hours about how a SEX OFFENDER was able to obtain a business license for a school. IF this is more than just information from an internet database and a R.S.O. was actually able to obtain a license to start a school, then CCC and California and our entire country has A LOT more problems than just LE. I pray that the existance of this "institute" is as simple as my theory and not another failure on the part of CCC, the State of Cali and our Federal Gov't.

    This could disprove, though, that PG neglected to educate the girls or deprived them of their right to an education as home schooling is considered an education. Many children are educated this way.

    Also, after I learned of the "institute", I started to think that it should be mandatory for parole officers to not only google a parolee's name, but also their address. They could easily do a google check monthly, or even quarterly, even as little as yearly. Information about a school at the address and possibly other supspicious activities/businesses would show up and should/would raise any and ALL red flags for a PO worth a dime.

    JMO

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    6,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Tizzle View Post
    I don't live anywhere near there, so I can't go and check any paperwork, sorry. But, I can share my input and see what you think.
    I've been thinking and HOPING since I learned about the "institute" that PG might have simply made the "institute" up in to order register with an online scholastic company to obtain textbooks and materials for home schooling. It's doubtful that any such online business would be so thorough as to do a background check on EVERY or any individual that registers with them. I came up with this theory a couple of weeks ago after fuming for a couple of hours about how a SEX OFFENDER was able to obtain a business license for a school. IF this is more than just information from an internet database and a R.S.O. was actually able to obtain a license to start a school, then CCC and California and our entire country has A LOT more problems than just LE. I pray that the existance of this "institute" is as simple as my theory and not another failure on the part of CCC, the State of Cali and our Federal Gov't.

    This could disprove, though, that PG neglected to educate the girls or deprived them of their right to an education as home schooling is considered an education. Many children are educated this way.

    Also, after I learned of the "institute", I started to think that it should be mandatory for parole officers to not only google a parolee's name, but also their address. They could easily do a google check monthly, or even quarterly, even as little as yearly. Information about a school at the address and possibly other supspicious activities/businesses would show up and should/would raise any and ALL red flags for a PO worth a dime.

    JMO
    to me this has much more ominous tones
    what if he was 'schooling" other kids?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,437
    This is exactly why I would like to pursue this question. If a school actually existed, then the potential for tragedy is obvious. And if a paper trail was created that shows up on Veromi, those documents may provide additional information about the "Institute". And since certain agencies have gone into full CYA mode, it may also show who else was asleep at the wheel.
    Last edited by Dr. Doogie; 10-08-2009 at 03:14 PM.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    272
    One possibility is that this is a homeschool affidavit. In Cal if you are home schooling you must declare yourself an independent private school and file a slew of paperwork. http://www.californiahomeschool.net/howTo/legOpt.htm

    Why though, since he had these children in a less than legal manner, would he file official paperwork?


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    And do we know who Virginia Wade (age 66) and Herschel Franzen (age 39) are? They are listed as possible Roommates/Associates. Patricia Franzen (age 88) is also listed. She is PG's mother--correct? Would Herschel be a step-brother of PG's? I don't recognize these names.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    This is weird:

    http://www.scrippsnews.com/content/o...ims-speaks-out

    Notice that Katie's boyfriend at the time of her rape was a man named David Wade. So who is Virginia?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    6,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    This is weird:

    http://www.scrippsnews.com/content/o...ims-speaks-out

    Notice that Katie's boyfriend at the time of her rape was a man named David Wade. So who is Virginia?
    the plot thickens.
    sickengly

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    This article has the most info about David Wade that I've found:

    http://www.sacbee.com/292/story/2154480.html

    So, David is now 61. Virginia is listed as 66. I wonder if there's any chance the two are related. Just a coincidence?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    brisbane au
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Tizzle View Post
    I don't live anywhere near there, so I can't go and check any paperwork, sorry. But, I can share my input and see what you think.
    I've been thinking and HOPING since I learned about the "institute" that PG might have simply made the "institute" up in to order register with an online scholastic company to obtain textbooks and materials for home schooling. It's doubtful that any such online business would be so thorough as to do a background check on EVERY or any individual that registers with them. I came up with this theory a couple of weeks ago after fuming for a couple of hours about how a SEX OFFENDER was able to obtain a business license for a school. IF this is more than just information from an internet database and a R.S.O. was actually able to obtain a license to start a school, then CCC and California and our entire country has A LOT more problems than just LE. I pray that the existance of this "institute" is as simple as my theory and not another failure on the part of CCC, the State of Cali and our Federal Gov't.

    This could disprove, though, that PG neglected to educate the girls or deprived them of their right to an education as home schooling is considered an education. Many children are educated this way.

    Also, after I learned of the "institute", I started to think that it should be mandatory for parole officers to not only google a parolee's name, but also their address. They could easily do a google check monthly, or even quarterly, even as little as yearly. Information about a school at the address and possibly other supspicious activities/businesses would show up and should/would raise any and ALL red flags for a PO worth a dime.

    JMO
    It does the raise other issues too. For instance, how did PG or NG officially home school the girls who presumably had no birth certificates, were never "on record". ?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,796
    Quote Originally Posted by meep meep View Post
    It does the raise other issues too. For instance, how did PG or NG officially home school the girls who presumably had no birth certificates, were never "on record". ?
    I don't understand that either. Officially those girls didn't exist. So why worry about getting them registered into a school program?

    I'm not local to this, but I would be interested in what the "institute" is all about. Any of you locals willing to pick up copies of the paperwork????
    Last edited by mysteriew; 10-08-2009 at 08:52 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    This article has the most info about David Wade that I've found:

    http://www.sacbee.com/292/story/2154480.html

    So, David is now 61. Virginia is listed as 66. I wonder if there's any chance the two are related. Just a coincidence?
    It's a common last name. I sincerely doubt there is any connection.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,219
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    I don't understand that either. Officially those girls didn't exist. So why worry about getting them registered into a school program?

    I'm not local to this, but I would be interested in what the "institute" is all about. Any of you locals willing to pick up copies of the paperwork????
    Is it a school program or a church? It's been reported Garrido registered his church "God's desire" in 2008.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,796
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Is it a school program or a church? It's been reported Garrido registered his church "God's desire" in 2008.
    He did register his 'church'. But he is also showing up affiliated with the Phillip C. Knight Institute, which is showing as an elementary and secondary school. We are trying to determine how he is linked to that school.

    Anybody know where the business license would be found? What office?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,437
    It seems like we are all on the same page. Jaycee and her daughters were completely "off the grid" - no birth certificates, social security numbers, etc. So why would he suddenly "go legit" and register his home school? It may be that he was hoping to launch a "religous school" for other children, but that it never got off the ground (THANK GOD!).

    This is the address for business licenses in unincorporated areas of Contra Costa County:

    Treasurer-Tax Collector's Office
    Business License Tax Division
    625 Court Street, Room 100
    Martinez, CA 94553-0063
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Australia - The Black Knight: Katherine Knight - 2001
    By marlywings in forum Past Trial Discussion Threads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 06:22 AM

Tags for this Thread