676 users online (64 members and 612 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

A surprised world greeted the award of the Nobel Peace Prize to U.S. President Barack Obama with a mixture of praise and skepticism on Friday. In its announcement, the Norwegian Nobel Committee hailed Obama's "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."
    http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-B...dChannel=11604

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    I need to dig through my next box of Cracker Jacks to find my Nobel Peace prize. Apparently they are giving them out to anyone now.

I really like Obama, but I admit to being surprised by this. Still, it is good to know that others in the world perceive him as a hopeful and mediative catalyst. That is only good for our country as well as other countries.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

I am really pleased by this. IMO Obama is changing the perception that other countries have about America and bringing real hope to a lot of different groups of people. I think that what he is doing is magnified and seems even more impressive as he is the American President and very few American Presidents have inspired the hope and belief in change for the world that President Obama has (no offense intended to any former Presidents or thier supporters).
    Free online muder mystery game!http://www.murdermysteryinvestigations.com

In memory of Laci and Conner and my wonderful grandparents Joan and Les - I love you guys

I like Obama, too, but it seems a bit premature. On the other hand, don't see what it hurts. (Except for some people possibly choking on their morning cereal.)

With all due respect....for WHAT? It's definitely premature. It's as if they decided they needed to make up for snubbing him for the Olympics, so they gave him the Nobel Peace Prize.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I posted over on the political forum that I wonder what people like Nelson Mandela think about this. Here's a man that devoted his life and freedom to further peace and equality. Obama makes a speech with a bunch of promises (that like most presidents, probably can't or won't keep) and he wins the same prize.

In my opinion the Nobel Peace Prize means nothing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    I like Obama, too, but it seems a bit premature. On the other hand, don't see what it hurts. (Except for some people possibly choking on their morning cereal.)
    If I were Obama, I wouldn't be happy about this at all - adds a bit more pressure and such, no?

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    I am a big Obama supporter and have been since the beginning. I think he is on his way to doing great things for this country and the world but even I have to admit it seems a little premature. I understand the motivation behind it but I always thought the peace prize was to recoginize those who have already done great things that benefited humanity not those who might.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    If I were Obama, I wouldn't be happy about this at all - adds a bit more pressure and such, no?
    IMO, and I like Obama, this is not going to do him any good politically here in the USA.
    I remember Gorbichev- very pooular outside his country. widely hailed as a champion of peaceful change, peace, etc, etc. Yet he was vastly unpopular to the Russian people. They felt he was grandstanding and should have been addressing more mundane issues they faced on a day to day basis.
    Hope I am wrong but just wait until the right wing media goes to work on this.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Why???

I'm gagging.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
    I am a big Obama supporter and have been since the beginning. I think he is on his way to doing great things for this country and the world but even I have to admit it seems a little premature. I understand the motivation behind it but I always thought the peace prize was to recoginize those who have already done great things that benefited humanity not those who might.
    Perhaps the committee needs a new award for bright hopefuls. I get where they are coming from with this, but it goes overboard to give it to him so early. Giving an award for things the guy might do is rather like putting someone in jail because they might commit a crime some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
    IMO, and I like Obama, this is not going to do him any good politically here in the USA.
    I remember Gorbichev- very pooular outside his country. widely hailed as a champion of peaceful change, peace, etc, etc. Yet he was vastly unpopular to the Russian people. They felt he was grandstanding and should have been addressing more mundane issues they faced on a day to day basis.
    Hope I am wrong but just wait until the right wing media goes to work on this.
    Yes.

I hope people can remember that Obama did not give this award to himself. If they want to jump on someone for this, they should criticize the committee, not Obama.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    Yes.

I hope people can remember that Obama did not give this award to himself. If they want to jump on someone for this, they should criticize the committee, not Obama.
    That is exactly what I have been thinking.

I am still mad at him for single-handedly losing the Olympics for us.......
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

According to CNN, the Nobel Prize has been awarded to people in the past who were in the process of making their marks, it is not always awarded to those that were at the end of their careers.
    IMO - I think this is more of a burden, than anything else. He has some very difficult decisions ahead of him, decisions that involve putting more of our men & women in the military in harms way. As if it wasn't hard enough to make this decision, now he has this hanging over his head.
    I do think part of this has to do with the fact that he has improved our image around the world. That, and he is the first person of african heritage to lead a major western power.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast