Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

I need to dig through my next box of Cracker Jacks to find my Nobel Peace prize. Apparently they are giving them out to anyone now.

I really like Obama, but I admit to being surprised by this. Still, it is good to know that others in the world perceive him as a hopeful and mediative catalyst. That is only good for our country as well as other countries.

I am really pleased by this. IMO Obama is changing the perception that other countries have about America and bringing real hope to a lot of different groups of people. I think that what he is doing is magnified and seems even more impressive as he is the American President and very few American Presidents have inspired the hope and belief in change for the world that President Obama has (no offense intended to any former Presidents or thier supporters).

I like Obama, too, but it seems a bit premature. On the other hand, don't see what it hurts. (Except for some people possibly choking on their morning cereal.)

With all due respect....for WHAT? It's definitely premature. It's as if they decided they needed to make up for snubbing him for the Olympics, so they gave him the Nobel Peace Prize.

I posted over on the political forum that I wonder what people like Nelson Mandela think about this. Here's a man that devoted his life and freedom to further peace and equality. Obama makes a speech with a bunch of promises (that like most presidents, probably can't or won't keep) and he wins the same prize.

In my opinion the Nobel Peace Prize means nothing anymore.

I like Obama, too, but it seems a bit premature. On the other hand, don't see what it hurts. (Except for some people possibly choking on their morning cereal.)

If I were Obama, I wouldn't be happy about this at all - adds a bit more pressure and such, no?

I am a big Obama supporter and have been since the beginning. I think he is on his way to doing great things for this country and the world but even I have to admit it seems a little premature. I understand the motivation behind it but I always thought the peace prize was to recoginize those who have already done great things that benefited humanity not those who might.

If I were Obama, I wouldn't be happy about this at all - adds a bit more pressure and such, no?

IMO, and I like Obama, this is not going to do him any good politically here in the USA.
I remember Gorbichev- very pooular outside his country. widely hailed as a champion of peaceful change, peace, etc, etc. Yet he was vastly unpopular to the Russian people. They felt he was grandstanding and should have been addressing more mundane issues they faced on a day to day basis.
Hope I am wrong but just wait until the right wing media goes to work on this.

I am a big Obama supporter and have been since the beginning. I think he is on his way to doing great things for this country and the world but even I have to admit it seems a little premature. I understand the motivation behind it but I always thought the peace prize was to recoginize those who have already done great things that benefited humanity not those who might.

Perhaps the committee needs a new award for bright hopefuls. I get where they are coming from with this, but it goes overboard to give it to him so early. Giving an award for things the guy might do is rather like putting someone in jail because they might commit a crime some day.

IMO, and I like Obama, this is not going to do him any good politically here in the USA.
I remember Gorbichev- very pooular outside his country. widely hailed as a champion of peaceful change, peace, etc, etc. Yet he was vastly unpopular to the Russian people. They felt he was grandstanding and should have been addressing more mundane issues they faced on a day to day basis.
Hope I am wrong but just wait until the right wing media goes to work on this.

Yes.

I hope people can remember that Obama did not give this award to himself. If they want to jump on someone for this, they should criticize the committee, not Obama.

Yes.

I hope people can remember that Obama did not give this award to himself. If they want to jump on someone for this, they should criticize the committee, not Obama.

That is exactly what I have been thinking.

I am still mad at him for single-handedly losing the Olympics for us.......:waitasec:

According to CNN, the Nobel Prize has been awarded to people in the past who were in the process of making their marks, it is not always awarded to those that were at the end of their careers.
IMO - I think this is more of a burden, than anything else. He has some very difficult decisions ahead of him, decisions that involve putting more of our men & women in the military in harms way. As if it wasn't hard enough to make this decision, now he has this hanging over his head.
I do think part of this has to do with the fact that he has improved our image around the world. That, and he is the first person of african heritage to lead a major western power.

Just got off the phone with my mum.

She says that we should start a campaign for my 19 month old to get the Nobel next year - he's a nice guy, and makes people happy, and we can hope he will do great things in the future, so he seems to qualify.

Now there's a grandma's natural opinion on all this. :D

According to CNN, the Nobel Prize has been awarded to people in the past who were in the process of making their marks, it is not always awarded to those that were at the end of their careers.
IMO - I think this is more of a burden, than anything else. He has some very difficult decisions ahead of him, decisions that involve putting more of our men & women in the military in harms way. As if it wasn't hard enough to make this decision, now he has this hanging over his head.
I do think part of this has to do with the fact that he has improved our image around the world. That, and he is the first person of african heritage to lead a major western power.

BBM

I totally agree. I would hate to have to govern with this over me.

I am curious to see what he does with the money. I don't think he can keep it; in terms of a PR move that would be kind of bad. $1.5 million isn't a huge amount in terms of what the world needs, though it's a nice big fortune to me, but I assume he will give it to a charity or organization?

That will be a tough call for him - I would suggest he give it away secretly, but then people won't believe he did it. But whatever he gives it to will be criticized... Obama is the ultimate "damned if you do, damned if you don't" punching bag these days.

I vote for a foundation or something in his grandma's name; perhaps to help grandparents raising their grandkids, as that is becoming more and more common.

"Who could argue with that?" she asks niavely. "Everyone who doesn't like Obama," she then answers herself wryly.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

......(Except for some people possibly choking on their morning cereal.)

DH said that same thing about it being premature, Steadfast. Still, for someone like myself who sees the role of POTUS as more important symbolically and broadly than literally and specifically, I felt the world immediately became less fearful and, therefore, safer as soon as he was elected so decisively. JMO, of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back