815 users online (107 members and 708 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 613
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,449

    Canada - Mariam Makhniashvili, 17, Toronto, 14 Sept 2009 - #2

    Discussions on Missing Teen Mariam Makhniashvili

    Link to Thread #1: Mariam Makniashvili
    Last edited by KateB; 04-27-2015 at 08:35 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    585

    Report from 101 Roehampton

    I spent about half an hour talking to tenants of 101 Roehampton. This is what I found out:

    Few of them saw big black backpack behind the building. One tenant describes it as "very big, very full".

    The tenant who lives on the ground floor and has his little "backyard" moved the backpack several times, but did not make anything of it because he NEVER KNEW that the girl was missing, or that the description of backpack was in the media. When the backpack disappeared from the spot he saw it last time, he thought that someone had found it.

    I spoke with another tenant who told me that, when her car was vandalized in the underground garage few months ago, she reported it to the superintendant and asked him if he would call the police, and he told her that there was NO POINT OF CALLING!!!! the police because they would not come anyway. The tenant called police by herself and police was surprised that anyone gives an advice NOT TO CALL THE POLICE. I am telling you this just to describe that the super of that building may not be very smart and vigilant person, therefore, it does not surprise me that he did not call the police either. By the way, his apartment is located on the ground floor, right next to the apartment of the tenant who was moving the backpack around.

    Another tenant also saw the backpack, and she said that it was there for a long time, but she thought it belong to a student from North Toronto Collegiate that is just across the street from 101 Roehampton. She said that students from that school go behind their building all the time, to smoke and just hang there.


    I cannot believe that the backpack was there all the time, and with all the coverage about Mariam, NO ONE FROM THAT BUILDING noticed that backpack resembles the one belonging to Mariam.

    Also, what is the likelihood of such an important piece of evidence to be hidden from view in the backyard of a person WHO EVEN DID NOT KNOW THAT MARIAM WAS MISSING!!!!

    Also please note that there are two high schools close to 101 Roehampton. One is North Toronto ( just across the street), and another one is Northern Secondary ( about three blocks towards east ).
    Last edited by outcast; 10-09-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: about high schools


    http://sunsetchaser07.blogspot.com/

    Culture also affects communication by influencing the recipients' assumptions. Our minds try to twist incoming information to make it fit in our worldview. Since different cultures have very different worldviews, cross-cultural communication is especially likely to change meaning between sender and receiver, as the sender may have a very different worldview from the receiver.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,449
    "I think it means what I told you before, that she was kidnapped," Mariam's father Vakhtang told CityNews reporter Pam Seatle early Friday morning.

    Vakhtang confirmed that police had called the family Thursday night to tell them about the discovery.

    He said that though it was some news, it was not good news.

    http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...r-missing-girl

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,789
    Bringing this post over.

    Presser will be live on CBC video online, I think:

    http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/ID=1247554261

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbododger View Post
    continue here.....
    Could you add "Thread #2" to the title, Turbo, to clarify? ETA: I see you did.

    (Also, a link to the first thread would be useful in the opening post.)

    Thread 1 here:
    Canada - Missing Teen Since Sept 14 Mariam Makhniashvili - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

    TIA
    Last edited by KateB; 04-27-2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

  6. #6
    gaia227's Avatar
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,725
    Do you guys think the woman who allegedly saw Mariam is credible? I always have a hard time taking eye witnesses seriously. The human brain can do funny things when it comes to recognition and for a woman who didn't know about Mariam's disappearence to go from ignorant to seeing her walking down the street talking to a man in Russian is something I take with a grain of salt. She could have seen a brown haired, teenager talking to another boy her age in Russian - or maybe it was Czech or Swedish or some other language which to the untrained ear could sound like Russian.
    It bothers me she speaks in absolutes - "I saw Mariam" instead of "I saw a girl who looked like Mariam" - it is really hard to positively identify a stranger from a picture. Add in mannerisms, movement, etc, etc and someone can look very different from what they do in a photograph.

    Anyway - these developments are very interesting and I hope Mariam is found soon.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi


  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    4,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbododger View Post
    "I think it means what I told you before, that she was kidnapped," Mariam's father Vakhtang told CityNews reporter Pam Seatle early Friday morning.

    Vakhtang confirmed that police had called the family Thursday night to tell them about the discovery.

    He said that though it was some news, it was not good news.

    http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...r-missing-girl
    Although it's a little early to speculate, in light of this new development, I tend to agree with VM. If Mariam were staying somewhere voluntarily, she would either be storing the backpack where she is, or would have gotten rid of it somewhere like a garbage can or dumpster. Why leave it out in open view? It doesn't sound good. UNLESS, she did initially throw it away, someone found it, looked inside, decided there was nothing of value in it, and then left it near where it was discovered.

    MOO
    Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. - William E. Gladstone

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ElePhEr
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by outcast View Post
    I spent about half an hour talking to tenants of 101 Roehampton. This is what I found out:

    Few of them saw big black backpack behind the building. One tenant describes it as "very big, very full".

    The tenant who lives on the ground floor and has his little "backyard" moved the backpack several times, but did not make anything of it because he NEVER KNEW that the girl was missing, or that the description of backpack was in the media. When the backpack disappeared from the spot he saw it last time, he thought that someone had found it.

    I spoke with another tenant who told me that, when her car was vandalized in the underground garage few months ago, she reported it to the superintendant and asked him if he would call the police, and he told her that there was NO POINT OF CALLING!!!! the police because they would not come anyway. The tenant called police by herself and police was surprised that anyone gives an advice NOT TO CALL THE POLICE. I am telling you this just to describe that the super of that building may not be very smart and vigilant person, therefore, it does not surprise me that he did not call the police either. By the way, his apartment is located on the ground floor, right next to the apartment of the tenant who was moving the backpack around.

    Another tenant also saw the backpack, and she said that it was there for a long time, but she thought it belong to a student from North Toronto Collegiate that is just across the street from 101 Roehampton. She said that students from that school go behind their building all the time, to smoke and just hang there.


    I cannot believe that the backpack was there all the time, and with all the coverage about Mariam, NO ONE FROM THAT BUILDING noticed that backpack resembles the one belonging to Mariam.

    Also, what is the likelihood of such an important piece of evidence to be hidden from view in the backyard of a person WHO EVEN DID NOT KNOW THAT MARIAM WAS MISSING!!!!

    Also please note that there are two high schools close to 101 Roehampton. One is North Toronto ( just across the street), and another one is Northern Secondary ( about three blocks towards east ).

    Outcast: Please accept this as a compliment on your dilligence in finding Mariam - You Are The Best and you never give up - I love your tenacity and honest communication.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,449
    If the unverified report is true regarding the sighting, and it is indeed Mariam, then that does not indicate a kidnapping to me.

    The proximity to the other school, and the report regarding HS kids hanging out in that location, seems telling to me.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ElePhEr
    Posts
    6,094
    I do not know what to think - what time is the live presser anyone know? You know AG?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    4,263
    Quote Originally Posted by elepher50 View Post
    I do not know what to think - what time is the live presser anyone know? You know AG?
    It started at 10:30 a.m. and is ongoing.
    Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. - William E. Gladstone

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    Could you add "Thread #2" to the title, Turbo, to clarify? ETA: I see you did.

    (Also, a link to the first thread would be useful in the opening post.)

    Thread 1 here:
    Canada - Missing Teen Since Sept 14 Mariam Makhniashvili - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

    TIA
    Done!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,789
    My computer is not co-operating, and all I can seem to find on the radio is a million ABBA retrospectives...

    What are they saying?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    4,263
    Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
    Do you guys think the woman who allegedly saw Mariam is credible? I always have a hard time taking eye witnesses seriously. The human brain can do funny things when it comes to recognition and for a woman who didn't know about Mariam's disappearence to go from ignorant to seeing her walking down the street talking to a man in Russian is something I take with a grain of salt. She could have seen a brown haired, teenager talking to another boy her age in Russian - or maybe it was Czech or Swedish or some other language which to the untrained ear could sound like Russian.
    It bothers me she speaks in absolutes - "I saw Mariam" instead of "I saw a girl who looked like Mariam" - it is really hard to positively identify a stranger from a picture. Add in mannerisms, movement, etc, etc and someone can look very different from what they do in a photograph.

    Anyway - these developments are very interesting and I hope Mariam is found soon.
    ITA. Officer Nealon said in the presser that they have had hundreds of tips and this is just one of them. Like you, I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

    MOO
    Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. - William E. Gladstone

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,789
    Trying this one:

    http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local.../?hub=CP24Home

    Funny enough, the ads always work on these things.

    ETA: Nope, didn't work. The ad did, though, as per usual.
    Last edited by WhyaDuck?; 10-09-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Found Deceased Canada - Mariam Makhniashvili, 17, Toronto, 14 Sept 2009 - #7
    By Cubby in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 759
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 01:37 PM
  2. Found Deceased Canada - Mariam Makhniashvili, 17, Toronto, 14 Sept 2009 - #6
    By Salem in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 527
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
  3. Found Deceased Canada - Mariam Makhniashvili, 17, Toronto, 14 Sept 2009 - #4
    By hoppyfrog in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 655
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
  4. Found Deceased Canada - Mariam Makhniashvili, 17, Toronto, 14 Sept 2009 - #3
    By hoppyfrog in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 610
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
  5. Found Deceased Canada - Mariam Makhniashvili, 17, Toronto, 14 Sept 2009 - #1
    By Lexiintoronto in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 989
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 10:20 AM