Misty's lawyer quits

Capri

Reaction score
http://www.staugustine.com/stories/101009/news_2072176.shtml

"Misty Cummings' lawyer, who failed to talk her out of going to New York for a nationally televised interview Friday morning, is no longer representing her.
The announcement came the same day his former client suggested someone on her husband's side of the family may know what happened to her missing stepdaughter.

"I can't really speak about the reasons, other than Misty doesn't need me any more," said Robert Fields, with the Palatka firm of Dowda & Fields. "She's an adult now; she's married."

This comes as no surprise whatsoever I am amazed he lasted this long after the lie detector fiasco.

http://www.staugustine.com/stories/101009/news_2072176.shtml

"Misty Cummings' lawyer, who failed to talk her out of going to New York for a nationally televised interview Friday morning, is no longer representing her.
The announcement came the same day his former client suggested someone on her husband's side of the family may know what happened to her missing stepdaughter.

"I can't really speak about the reasons, other than Misty doesn't need me any more," said Robert Fields, with the Palatka firm of Dowda & Fields. "She's an adult now; she's married."

Is Fields a child advocate?

Or is he giving us a clue or two? lol

She is rather obviously an uncontrollable client. Among other things Lawyers are taught when it is best to simply walk away from a client who shows no signs of actually wanting the advice and knowlege they have hired you for.

"Fields said he contacted Cummings on Thursday after hearing she was planning to appear on the CBS Morning News on Friday.

She said she would not but flew to New York for the show anyway.

Fields said he texted her, notifying her of his decision, when the program aired. He didn't know if she actually got the message because she hadn't called him back as of Friday night."

Looks like she wasn't following his legal advice, and lied to him saying she wouldn't go to the show, but did anyway.

This does not surprise me at all. Misty is completely nuts and its obvious she is not all there.

Oh, shes all there, but totally inept at navigating a situation this serious. This could be our good luck. I hope LE runs to get her now.

..... Looks like she wasn't following his legal advice, and lied to him saying she wouldn't go to the show, but did anyway.

She lied??????:waitasec:

I'm not surprised he dropped her, makes no sense to have a lawyer and refuse to follow his advice. She may want to get another lawyer quickly

Yeah!!!! I'm so glad he quit taking her crap. She is out of control and doing really stupid things. If only she knew how ridiculous she is making herself look.

She flat out lied to the reporter doing the airport video. Did he not ask her if she was going to NY for an interview? She said "No". She's good at it. She lied to her attorney which is equivalent to biting your own nose to spite your own face. What attorney is going to take her on now knowing she does what she wants to anyway, will probably make a fool of them in doing so and especially if she has no money!

Is she being a rebellious teen who resists any adult authority figures giving her good advice because she's 17, she knows best?

The lawyer did the right thing for himself; it's hard to help a client who won't take your advice and lies to you.

Oh, shes all there, but totally inept at navigating a situation this serious. This could be our good luck. I hope LE runs to get her now.

How does not having a lawyer make her more accessible to LE? They still can't question her without a lawyer present, so the court would have to appoint one, if she doesn't have the money to hire another lawyer.
I don't think this lawyer dropping her is going to make one bit of difference, because if LE had probable cause, they would already have her behind bars. Maybe that's just right around the corner... we can hope.
But I don't blame him for dropping her, she didn't take his advice.

She flat out lied to the reporter doing the airport video. Did he not ask her if she was going to NY for an interview? She said "No". She's good at it. She lied to her attorney which is equivalent to biting your own nose to spite your own face. What attorney is going to take her on now knowing she does what she wants to anyway, will probably make a fool of them in doing so and especially if she has no money!

Very chilling when you keep that in mind and go back and watch the first few videos Misty made after Haleigh went missing.

How does not having a lawyer make her more accessible to LE? They still can't question her without a lawyer present, so the court would have to appoint one, if she doesn't have the money to hire another lawyer.
I don't think this lawyer dropping her is going to make one bit of difference, because if LE had probable cause, they would already have her behind bars. Maybe that's just right around the corner... we can hope.
But I don't blame him for dropping her, she didn't take his advice.

The way I understand it, now they CAN question her anytime they wish UNTIL she asks for representation. She doesn't have that shield right now, but I doubt they will do that. They'll just let her keep talking and they'll be listening verrrryyyy carefully. This girl is a live wire and she's flipping all over the place.

Is the airport video posted anywhere? TIA to anyone who knows, I've been 'out of the loop' for the most part the last few days.

eta- it may not belong here, but I found the airport video in the stickies for anyone else that hasn't seen it:

http://www.wesh.com/video/21240733/index.html (Thanks to AngelWhoCares)

Yeah!!!! I'm so glad he quit taking her crap. She is out of control and doing really stupid things. If only she knew how ridiculous she is making herself look.

I don't blame the lawyer for quitting. Any lawyer would if their client doesn't follow their advice and instructions. Misty doesn't understand how this works. Now her only protection is gone. I really am concerned for this young teenager. Having an attorney afforded her protection in many areas. I don't know if Misty isn't on a mission to prove her innocence, and to voice who she believes is guilty and no matter what, she's going to do it.

I could see myself being that head strong, at that age, especially if I was innocent. She looked great on the morning show. She needs representation, guilty or innocent.

Is she being a rebellious teen who resists any adult authority figures giving her good advice because she's 17, she knows best?

The lawyer did the right thing for himself; it's hard to help a client who won't take your advice and lies to you.

I agree. I don't blame her lawyer one bit. I hope someone has a sit down with her, and explains the ins and outs of how this lawyer/client relationship works. Then, I still don't know that she would be fully able to comprehend the dynamics of that working relationship.

I was in my thirties, had a lawyer for the first time, and didn't understand it after several incidences, but he never recused himself, but he sure charged the limits out of me and hubby. But, after 5 years of litigation, I finally began to realize and understand the dynamics involved legally in that relationship. Now I know to follow the lawyers advice, but I made bad calls too, til I learned.

You know I have a 17 yr. old niece. I was just talking to her Mother and she was telling me how rebellious and just plain disrespectful my niece is being now. she wanted to go to a neighbor's house last night @ 9pm, her Mom told her no, and she said I'm going anyway, I'll do what I want to, and walks out the door. Now, the situation may have turned out differently if her Mom didn't have a broken leg and her Dad wasn't at work. But it just goes to show that Misty is acting like the 17 yr. old that she is. And she has had NO parental guidance or involvement. I think alot of Misty's actions are the actions of a 17 yr. old child. And she has no one to turn to who really gives a crap about her.
And just to clarify, I am not saying she does or does not know what happened to Haleigh, just giving my opinion on her erratic actions.

As did my 17 year old curvecuti, who is now 21 years old. From 17 to 19 years old, I didn't even know my very own daughter. Thank God she's back to being her, but she rebelled and rebuked everything in our home. She would argue with a brick at those ages. Thankfully, they grow out of that stage and age. Misty needs protection no matter if she's guilty or not. But I don't believe she's guilty of anything involving Haliegh's disappearance and it's driving everyone crazy. Maybe that's the answer, she really is innocent. But people won't accept it.

It's amazing to me she's out there speaking out for Haleigh all on her own. I think that says something about her drive to prove she's innocent and to find what has happened to Haleigh. That takes guts, I have never seen a guilty person do such things before.

Speaking of a rebellious, backwards teen, the last thing this girl needs is an immature 42-year-old woman enabling her, which is what culminated in the road rage incident. Too bad the older woman is not a true mentor who can guide her into some sort of sensible behavior. Let me guess--the two have a big blowout planned for MC's 18th birthday and rite of passage into "adulthood"?

The lawyer is probably tired of nonsensical, vague conversations with his client, a girl who just blankly looks at you, with not much affect. I've studied her first interviews. I have four kids, six grands, and taught school for years. I've seen similar body language in kids who try really, really hard to wring out the tears. I have no empirical evidence or anything, but I just think she has learned how to garner sympathy from the beginning. But IMO she is anything but a poor little loving stepmother whose charge was stolen right from under her nose.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taylor Sage
Back