Fla. man accidentally shoots, kills fiancee on eve of wedding

shannon2008

Reaction score
WINTER SPRINGS, Fla. – A man who thought there was an intruder in his house shot and killed his fiancee the day before they were to be married, police said Friday.

"Right now everything points to a tragic accident," Police Chief Kevin Brunelle told The Associated Press, adding investigators were awaiting forensic results.
Yahoo News Story

That's so sad if it honestly was a mistake. :( I couldn't imagine having to live knowing that you'd made such a terrible mistake and lost the one you loved because of it.

Maybe it's me; maybe I'm getting old and cynical but I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out not to be an accident. He thought she was in bed next to him? Neither of them ever got up at night? His comments to the rescue unit workers seem contrived.
Time will tell.

My God, that is one of the most horrible stories.. they were due to get married the next day.

"He thought he heard an intruder, then he fired at a figure in the hallway" according to the article.
Either night before the wedding jitters, or i don't know.. you'd think most people would wait until they knew for sure the "intruder" wasn't a family member or something to shoot.. then again the man isn't a spring buck, he's 62 years old..

I wonder if maybe he was on some medication that could make him disoriented.

I know I have taken just an allergy pill before bed and have woken up very disoriented in the middle of the night once or twice. That very surreal, woozy feeling like I was dreaming awake.

If it really was an accident, i truly feel bad for the man.. how can one live with themself knowing they shot the one they were supposed to marry the next day? It's so sad..

Riiiiiigggghhhhtttt. Sorry, but I have heard the "shoot first, ask questions later" story one too many times to believe it up front....

I will be surprised if this one turns out to be an "accident".

HMM. Not sure what to think about this. Maybe because I have a husband who can come home unexpectedly in the middle of the night----he works out in the Gulf of Mexico, and can be gone for up to and beyond 21 days in a row---maybe because I have 5 adult children who all have keys to my house; I don't know WHY, but something is telling me you don't shoot first and ask later "Who is there?"

I've been wrong before. I hope I am wrong now. But at this moment in time, fiance's story sounds a little "off."

HMM. Not sure what to think about this. Maybe because I have a husband who can come home unexpectedly in the middle of the night----he works out in the Gulf of Mexico, and can be gone for up to and beyond 21 days in a row---maybe because I have 5 adult children who all have keys to my house; I don't know WHY, but something is telling me you don't shoot first and ask later "Who is there?"

I've been wrong before. I hope I am wrong now. But at this moment in time, fiance's story sounds a little "off."

exactly! i would have asked "who is there?"...
i know, i've been in that situation before. i repeatedly yelled, "who is there!?", "who the F is in my house!?".
then again maybe the man was scared and really thought she was in bed next to him.

The Menendez brothers made their 911 call sound real too!

I have a VERY difficuottime believing that he didn't check her side of the bed before he got his gun.

I think he's scamming the cops.

This wouldn't be the first time a "loved one " was mistaken for an intruder, and shot, in the middle of the night. Seems to me, this (often) turns out to be a poorly, put-together explaination/alibi, which quickly unravels...

Where did he go to get the gun?

A bedside table would be one thing; a closet on the other side of the room, quite another.

it could have happened to me.
I have a rule, since my children are all under 4 feet and my fiancee is 5'8, I hear an intruder, I aim for about 6'6 and shoot.
One of three things will happen, either I will shoot someone way too tall to be there legitimately, I will scare the crap out of someone way too tall to be there legitimately, or my fiancee will yell, "All you had to do was give back the ring."
Course, the chances of me not noticing that my old man wasn't in bed are pretty slim, since I have to lean over him to get to the gun safe.

If it really was an accident, i truly feel bad for the man.. how can one live with themself knowing they shot the one they were supposed to marry the next day? It's so sad..

Hi MeoW333, I can not imagine what must be going through this man's head. IF he is truly innocent, he must have to live with this the rest of his life??!!! On the other hand, why would you murder your fiance whom you were suppose to marry the next day, why not just a simple "Bye, Bye" and walk away?? Are they like me and my hubby now that we got married and lived together for 9 years prior??? OMG, I am so glad that I don't have to piece this one together like LE and the DA??? Take care and always love the babies and keep them safe!!! Ann :angel::twocents::sick:

Yahoo News Story

That's so sad if it honestly was a mistake. :( I couldn't imagine having to live knowing that you'd made such a terrible mistake and lost the one you loved because of it.

If this truely was an accident (which I am dubious about) then it's a perfect example of why people should not have guns in the home.

It takes just a second to pull that trigger, and that one second error or misjudgement can change and destroy the lives of so many people.

I'd like to see the stats of how many times a gun has successfully scared off an intruder vs accidental death by children playing with guns, and situations like this one.(if its legit)
Having a gun on hand might make one feel safer, but is it really worth the risk?

ETA: link to 911 call.......
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...dio-andover-shooting-101009,0,3714887.mp3file

After listening I don't believe this was an accident at all!!! Funny how the second that LE arrive he becomes hysterical.
The chances of accidently shooting your soon-to-be wife at all, let alone a lethal shot to the chest? C'mon! No CPR efforts. No 'hurry up and get here' to the dispatcher when he claims to notice she is still breathing. Just a bunch of whining and covering his azz.
JMO

It's worth the risk if you keep your firearms appropriately locked up AT ALL TIMES, and don't fire blindly in the night.
Personally, I think he's full of it. But that's just MOO.

I get up often during the night, just like this morning, I'm up very early and dh is still asleep. I'd hate to think that he could wake up and shoot me.

If a person did think there was an intruder, wouldn't it make sense for you to alert the person sleeping beside you also?
I'd like to know, what was she wearing? How many times was she shot and how many shots were fired? Were there any lights on and does he wear glasses?
This was the night before she was getting married, most likely she wasn't able to sleep well due to being anxious, if indeed she was planning on getting married. My jaded side wonders if she was having second thoughts and that might have triggered something.
However it happened, this woman was shot and killed and it's a horrible situation. My thought go out to her family.

VB

mabey the man is starting alzheimers ? or something imparired his thoughts .. i hope it wasnt on purpose

am I the ONLY one who thinks that he fact he wasn't talking to her, trying to say sorry, what happened oh my god, baby are you ok, oh god baby talk to me, anything of the sort! it just sounds creepy to me :(

Guess I'm the oddball. I think it could be an accident. I didn't feel that he was "acting"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back