HI HI - Honolulu, AsianFem UP5579, 19-22, black sleeveless blouse, pink pants, Nov'89

shannon2008

Reaction score
http://doenetwork.org/cases/1612dfhi.html
HI-Diane Suzuki (19 yrs) - Aiea, Hawaii - 7/6/85 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Diane Suzuki

Missing since July 6, 1985 from Aiea, Island of Oahu, Hawaii
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 109 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Asian female. Japanese descent. Black hair; brown eyes
https://identifyus.org/cases/5579

From NAMUS:
Found: 1989-11-14

Located:
2217 Kuahea Place
100 yards of
Honolulu, HI
Honolulu County

Estimated Age:Adult - Pre 30
Minimum Age: 19 years
Maximum Age: 22 years
Race: Asian
Sex: Female
Height: 62 inches (approx 5"1)
Condition: Partial Skeleton

DNA Profile Status: Complete - DNA Profile available in FBI NMPDD

Body Parts Inventory:Torso Not Recovered, Limbs Not Recovered, Hands Not Recovered

Clothing found with Body:
Black, sleeveless blouse (no size) long pink pants w/elastic waist & "Davida Sport California" label (no size) Blue sweater with buttons down front (no size)
Diane Suzuki is listed in Doe Network but not in NAMUS. The remains found in 1989 are in NAMUS but not on Doe. I would think this had been checked out already but it's possible that it hasn't yet. I haven't found any mention of these remains in any online info about Diane's case.

From what I've read about this case, most people believe that her co-workers family covered up the murder and her body was in a swamp on their pig farm, and later transferred into the ocean. It looks like police could never get approval to dig up the swamp and therefore never sufficiently proved that she was buried there.

Not a lot to go on with the NAMUS UID, but... The height matches exactly, and according to Google Maps, Aiea is only 19 minutes away from the address where the partial skeleton was found. The clothes are what I could see a part-time dance instructor to be wearing at a dance studio.

Is it possible for only a partial skeleton to remain 4 yrs 4 months after the disappearance?

Doe gives no indication of what Diane was wearing when she went missing, and also no information about whether her DNA or dentals are available.

If for nothing else, I could submit this and get the profile on NAMUS updated that Diane's been ruled out as a match.

The dentals should be easy on this one. Since Doe was missing most of her front upper teeth, if Diane didn't have a partial front denture then it can be ruled out quickly. If she did have a partial denture, then it's more than likely going to be her. I would pursue it, if for nothing else, it would get Namus updated, which is always good.

The location looks good, and the height looks good, so I would definitely follow it.

You don't loose anything by making a phone call or sending an email- but you do open the door for possibilities-- and that is what identification is all about. Even if our possible matches don't pan out, then we just increased our odds that the next potential match is the one. :)

Thanks for the review on the dentals, I wasn't sure how to read them.

That makes me think that this UID is not her then, because from the photo on Doe she appears to have a perfect smile. I guess it's possible that she could have a partial front, but I kind of doubt it.

I might still submit it just as we said, to get the rule out posted on Namus for future websleuthers comparisons.

Thanks for the review on the dentals, I wasn't sure how to read them.

That makes me think that this UID is not her then, because from the photo on Doe she appears to have a perfect smile. I guess it's possible that she could have a partial front, but I kind of doubt it.

I might still submit it just as we said, to get the rule out posted on Namus for future websleuthers comparisons.
====================================

Go ahead and submit it, you have ample reason to think it could be her.
What's the worst that can happen? It isn't her.

Was this ever submitted?

I'm guessing Diane wasn't submitted as namus has no rule-outs for this Jane doe. It's odd there's not a sketch for her.

Case was updated in Namus last month, no ruleouts are listed.
Remains were partial/skeletal but no PMI is listed.

NamUs #UP5579Female, Asian
Date Body Found November 14, 1989
Location Found Honolulu, Hawaii
Estimated Age Range19-22 Years
ME/C Case Number89-1164

Demographics​

Sex Female
Race / EthnicityAsian
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years) 19-22
Estimated Year of Death 0-1989
Estimated PMI--
Height5' 2"(62 inches) , Estimated
Weight Cannot Estimate

Circumstances​

Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found November 14, 1989
NamUs Case Created July 17, 2009
ME/C QA Reviewed July 17, 2009

Location Found Map

Location Honolulu, Hawaii 96816
County Honolulu County
Circumstances of Recovery Unknown

Details of Recovery
Inventory of Remains - Torso not recovered One or more limbs not recovered One or both hands not recovered Condition of Remains- Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Clothing - Black, sleeveless blouse (no size) long pink pants w/elastic waist & "Davida Sport California" label (no size) Blue sweater with buttons down front (no size) - Near the Body
Footwear- Blue rubber slippers (no size) - On the Body

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back