ID ID - Richard Bendele, 29, Hailey, 17 Nov 1996

Julessleuther

Reaction score
Age is WAY off, but look at his last name, look at his face, eye color, height. Weight is off, but Richard was missing since 1996. Richard has the CLOSEST nose shape of anyone I have seen.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2088

http://www.isp.state.id.us/mp_viewer/showMissingPerson.action?id=M980160064

When missing in 1996 he was:

29 years old (Which would make him 43 now)
5'11"
Brown hair
Green eyes
170 lbs.

No DNA, dentals or fingerprints, so he could not have previously been ruled out.

Attachments

• bk Richard Bendele compare.pdf
    74.8 KB · Views: 27
It appears that Richards mothers side is from Tennessee. (Her maiden name was Seals) and his father was from Idaho, but they have family in CO. I am trying to find an IN connection. (There is a RIchard W Bendele from IN, but it is RIchard Wayne)

Age is WAY off, but look at his last name, look at his face, eye color, height. Weight is off, but Richard was missing since 1996. Richard has the CLOSEST nose shape of anyone I have seen.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2088

http://www.isp.state.id.us/mp_viewer/showMissingPerson.action?id=M980160064

When missing in 1996 he was:

29 years old (Which would make him 43 now)
5'11"
Brown hair
Green eyes
170 lbs.

No DNA, dentals or fingerprints, so he could not have previously been ruled out.
\
------------------------------------------------------------
Con: too young, face too thin.

From Charley Project: Richard Willis Bendele – The Charley Project

Richard Willis Bendele
  • richard_willis_bendele_1.jpg
  • richard_willis_bendele_2.jpg
  • bendele_richard3.jpg
  • bendele_richard4.jpg
  • richard_willis_bendele_5.jpg
Bendele, circa 1996; Truck similar to Bendele's

• Missing Since11/17/1996
  • Missing FromBlaine County, Idaho
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth08/18/1967 (51)
  • Age29 years old
  • Height and Weight5'11, 170 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, green eyes. Bendele may have a mustache. His nickname is Rick.
Details of Disappearance
Bendele was last seen hunting pheasants in the Laidlaw Park, Idaho area on November 17, 1996. He called his mother at 6:00 p.m. to say his blue pickup truck had stalled on a remote desert road. Although the vehicle had gas, it wouldn't start. Bendele couldn't provide specific directions to the truck and said he was going to try to mark the road and would call his mother back.

He has never been heard from again, and his truck was discovered abandoned near the Laidlaw Corral area north of Rupert, Idaho shortly after his disappearance. His coat and shotgun were inside it, and the truck's battery was broken and tipped upside down.

A photo of a similar vehicle is posted with this case summary. An extensive search of the area turned up no other evidence except one shoe and two right-hand gloves.

Bendele worked in a supervisory position at the J.R. Simplot Co. in Heyburn, Idaho when he disappeared. His hobbies include hunting and fishing. He was going through a divorce and living with a girlfriend in Burley, Idaho; his two children lived with their mother.

Although Benedele previously abused alcohol and drugs, his mother stated he'd turned his life around by the time of his disappearance. He didn't have any money or extra clothes when he went missing, although he did have a cellular phone. Authorities suspect he may have been taken against his will.

It appears that Richards mothers side is from Tennessee. (Her maiden name was Seals) and his father was from Idaho, but they have family in CO. I am trying to find an IN connection. (There is a RIchard W Bendele from IN, but it is RIchard Wayne)

I know this is an old post but do you know where you found the record of Richard's mother's name?

Richard Willis Bendele – The Charley Project

Last updated February 27, 2021; details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Bendele was last seen hunting pheasants in the Laidlaw Park, Idaho area on November 17, 1996. He called his mother at 6:00 p.m. to say his blue pickup truck had stalled on a remote desert road. Although the vehicle had gas, it wouldn't start. He sounded nervous and said he thought someone had deliberately tampered with it. Bendele couldn't provide specific directions to the truck and said he was going to try to mark a nearby turnoff so his mother could find him, and that he would call her back.

His mother contacted his girlfriend and they set off to find him in the girlfriend's vehicle, but they had to turn around and go back to town after their car struck an object that damaged the oil pan. At 2:00 a.m., the women called the police to report him missing. Six inches of snow fell that night, obliterating any tracks.

The next morning, search and rescue found Bendele's truck was near the Laidlaw Corral area north of Rupert, Idaho. The window was smashed and there was glass on the ground. Bendele's coat, cellular phone and his deceased father's shotgun he'd borrowed were inside it. The truck's battery was broken and tipped upside down. A photo of a similar vehicle is posted with this case summary. Bendele's mother doesn't think he would have left his father's shotgun unattended; he would always take it right back to his mother's house after he was done using it.

At the turnoff was an empty box and some beer cans, which Bendele may have used to mark the road. An extensive search of the area turned up no other evidence except a right-hand leather glove, a right-hand fryer glove of the kind Bendele used at work, and one of his new sneakers.

Bendele worked in a supervisory position at the J.R. Simplot Co., a potato processing plant in Heyburn, Idaho, when he disappeared. His last paycheck was direct-deposited in his bank account after he went missing, but the money was never touched. His hobbies include hunting and fishing. He was going through a divorce and had been living with his girlfriend and her three children in Burley, Idaho for about ten months; his own two children lived with their mother.

Although Benedele previously abused alcohol and drugs, his mother stated he'd turned his life around by the time of his disappearance. He didn't have any money or extra clothes when he went missing, although he did have a cellular phone. Authorities suspect he may have been taken against his will.

MAR 12, 2021
Idaho man vanished near Craters of the Moon, still missing | Idaho Statesman
On a Sunday in November 1996, Richard Willis Bendele borrowed a shotgun to hunt pheasants at the lava-encrusted desert north of Kimama near the Laidlaw Corrals area.

Bendele’s family and girlfriend never saw the 29-year old Burley native again.

[...]

Bendele, a J.R. Simplot Co. supervisor, was estranged from his wife and going through a divorce. He was living with his girlfriend and, by all family accounts, seemed happy and at a relatively good place in his life.

[...]

Later that day, he called his mother using a bag-style cellphone that plugged into a cigarette lighter that he kept behind the seat for emergencies. He said his pickup had broken down and he asked her to come and get him.

“He was uneasy,” his mother said. “He thought someone else was out there and had messed with his truck.”

Richard Bendele told his mother he was going to mark a nearby turnoff so she could find him. Searchers later found an empty beer box and cans that they thought he’d used to mark the road.

[...]

Six inches of snow fell that night, covering the roads and any traces that may have been left by the missing man. Search and rescue found his pickup in Blaine County the next morning.

The case was then transferred to the Blaine County Sheriff’s Office.

[...]

A few other clues surfaced. A leather glove. A fryer glove, the kind used at the potato processing plant where he worked. One of his new black tennis shoes.

[...]

The battery for his truck was turned over and a truck window was smashed with glass on the ground, Sandy Bendele recalled.

They also found the cellphone and the shotgun inside the truck.

“He would have never left his dad’s shotgun,” Sandy Bendele said. He always brought it right back to her house after he borrowed it.

[...]

Police told the family that the search dogs lost his scent by the road as if he’d gotten into a vehicle and left.

[...]

Scenarios repeated in his mother’s mind. Did he walk in the wrong direction during the dark desert night and fall into a lava fissure? Or did someone sinister follow him out there and harm him?

“You wait and you wait, and you cry,” she said. “I still have a hole. I would just like to know what happened before I’m no longer here.”

[...]

When Richard Bendele first disappeared, there was no reason to believe that anyone would have harmed him, Kowitz said. But, as the months went, by rumors — true or not — started to surface. Bendele had affiliations with drug dealers before she’d met him, which some said played a role in his disappearance.

[...]

Seven years after he disappeared, Bendele’s estranged wife had him declared dead. His mother, however, continued to hold hope that he was alive while steeling herself for the possible news that his remains have been found.

Several years ago, Sandy Bendele gave a DNA sample to an officer and she got a copy of her son’s dental records — just in case the records could identify his remains.

[...]

At some point prior to 2010, he said, the sheriff’s office lost the original reports for the case. They were possibly lost when the sheriff’s office moved, he said, but no one knows for sure.

Investigators have rebuilt as much of the case file as possible.

Fruehling said the case remains active although there has not been any new activity on it since 2014 when requests for the DNA samples were made.

[...]

Reminding the public about missing people can pay off and help solve cases, Fruehling said.

“Sometimes it sparks someone to come forward,” he said.

[...]

Anyone with information about his disappearance should contact the Blaine County Sheriff’s Office at 208-788-5555.

I see Richard is the case featured at the Charley Project this week.
What do you all make of the condition of his car? Of one sneaker being found? The gloves? (Does it sound like the actions of someone with hypothermia?)

I found the article posted above in March of 2021 heart-breaking.
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/northwest/idaho/article249679553.html

His girlfriend at the time describing their bond, as well as his mother. I wish they would find answers. I'd speculate answers are somewhere in that unforgiving terrain :(. I hope they get that miracle before too much longer.

So this is the path that Richard took to mark the road with the beer bottles...honestly pretty damn far! 12 miles one way at least, in the dead of night. average walking speed is around 1-3 mph so it wouldve taken close to 4 hours to do this trek...theres another map that has the locations of the gloves and the shoe...I have to be honest the shoe and the jacket make me think he made it back near or to the truck after dropping off the beer bottles ...just cant believe he would have made it 12 miles with one shoe on...I can see why there is at least some suspicion of foul play...of course simplest explanation is lost and injured but theres too many small details here that just point to something else entirely...also would be interesting to know how he made the phone call if the battery was messed up and when the window was smashed...perhaps the window was smashed when he got back from hunting... and thats why he was freaked out on the phone.... either way it appears he made it the 12 miles but did he start trekking back to the truck afterwards? who knows...its possible he was leaving the gloves as bread crumbs for himself but the shoe and jacket dont make any sense and possibly indicate that he possibly made it back to the truck...

Attachments

• 6008d1e7306b5.image.jpg
    6008d1e7306b5.image.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-01-13 013132.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-13 013132.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ezgif-1-f1da5767fc.jpg
    ezgif-1-f1da5767fc.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Members online