Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FL - Attackers Torch Deerfield Beach Teen

I'm not sure if it would help, depends on how hardened these monsters are, but I think they should all have to spend a week or more at the burn unit. Volunteering, listening to the patients cry out. I also would like to see the parents have to do the same thing. Not many children are born evil. They're taught evil.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by smart blonde View Post
    I just read that the teens were laughing, after they set Michael on fire.

The older Jarvis brother's photo took my breath away. He looks evil, soul-less.
    They were laughing about it in jail, too. They need to be locked away for a good long time to give them a chance to think about what they did.
    "The cure for crime is not the electric chair, but the high chair."

-J. Edgar Hoover

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MeoW333 For This Useful Post:

The older Jarvis brother is actually named Denver Colorado Jarvis. I know that odd names are becoming so common that they are almost not odd anymore. And I know it is no excuse for what he did. But I do imagine it must have been a bit more difficult than normal to be raised with such a strange name. Who would name their kid after a city? A mile high city nonetheless.

I take it back...he is named after his father who has the same name...hmmm
    Last edited by Gene; 11-03-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Does this come as a surprise to anyone?

Not that it matters, but is this a big surprise?

Families of boys accused of burning teen were all troubled

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/state/c...yfamilies.html

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gene For This Useful Post:

They could be released?

The teenagers accused of surrounding Michael Brewer and setting him on fire will have to be released from custody after Nov. 12 unless prosecutors charge them as adults,

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/sout...y/1313470.html

It is not clear to me what conditions must be met for them to be charged as adults, but this article seems to imply that they need Michael Brewer's testumony and he is too ill to give testimony. Or am I not understanding ths correctly?

Is this likely? Or are they just writing like this to sell more papers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post

No surprise at all.

In no way does it excuse these kids (although some will surely try), but it confirms my growing belief that our court system and DCF/CPF are jokes.

I mean, just look at how many times those parents got their cases dismissed, plead down, sentences cut short, etc...

It's because of that that their kids were kept in homes that taught them to be animals with contempt for humanity and the law.

No wonder they were laughing - they have no sense of goodness, and they're unafraid of being held accountable for their own crimes, since they saw their own parents get away with it.

Reading so many stories like this makes me wish we could force contraception on some people. I'm past weary of seeing the human equivalent of Pitt Bull dog-fighting farms in our cities pumping out more vicious criminals every day.
    Always JMO, FWIW, YMMV...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muffet For This Useful Post:

He struck me the same way, smart blonde.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Muffet For This Useful Post:

Question Is apology enough?????

Jarvis family apologizes for fiery attack against Deerfield Beach teen

<snip>

Sherry Jarvis trembled Wednesday afternoon as she issued an apology to Brewer and his family, unable because of the criminal charges against her sons to offer anything more than words of grief, sorrow and prayers for the victim's recovery.

"This is a horrible incident that never should have occurred," she said outside the law offices of the attorneys representing Denver, 15, and Jeremy, 13. Standing beside her were her husband, Denver Sr., and their teenage daughters, Elyse and Danielle.

Jeremy Jarvis, the youngest of the five defendants, is likely to be released next week.

Inside Melnick's office late Wednesday, members of the Jarvis family said they've had to endure taunts and threats from acquaintances and strangers while coming to terms with the fact that their sons are accused of a horrific attack against someone they all considered a friend.

more here

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...,1968462.story
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Thumbs down Not nearly enough

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
    Jarvis family apologizes for fiery attack against Deerfield Beach teen

<snip>

Sherry Jarvis trembled Wednesday afternoon as she issued an apology to Brewer and his family, unable because of the criminal charges against her sons to offer anything more than words of grief, sorrow and prayers for the victim's recovery.

Inside Melnick's office late Wednesday, members of the Jarvis family said they've had to endure taunts and threats from acquaintances and strangers while coming to terms with the fact that their sons are accused of a horrific attack against someone they all considered a friend.

-snip-
    An apology was necessary, but nowhere near sufficient. And they can cry me a river about the taunts they endure.

Snippets about this family, from the article Gene posted:

June 2005... [Father] Jarvis crashed into two parked cars and ... could barely stand on his feet. In the truck at the time: his 10-year-old son, Denver Colorado III. The boy's father was arrested for drunken driving, child abuse and driving too fast for conditions.

In August 2005, [more arrests for drunk driving and drugs]

At that time, the Jarvis children had already been subjected to years of abuse, according to court records and sources close to the case. They had been removed from the house by child welfare authorities, declared dependents of the state and ordered to live with a relative.

A source with knowledge of the case said their father, 45, has been plagued by alcohol abuse and had relapsed several times. Their mother, Sherry Jarvis, 38, had mental health concerns, and last year was sentenced to six months' probation for drunken driving.

Still, the records reveal that the couple kept trying to keep their family — which also includes two daughters — together, the source said. By 2006, they fulfilled all their child welfare obligations and completed counseling and parenting classes.

But since that time, BSO has responded to more than 20 incidents at the Jarvis' Pompano Beach home, mostly for domestic disturbances, according to BSO records.

...July 2008, Sherry Jarvis told investigators her husband jumped on top of her, grabbed her by the throat with both hands and nearly choked her. He was charged with battery, but the charge was later dropped.

One month later, the couple was charged with violating school attendance laws because their sons were skipping school. They were ordered to undergo parenting classes. [again]

In the Oct. 12 attack, Denver Colorado III doused the victim with rubbing alcohol, while the boy's younger brother did nothing, according to police.
    These "parents" have been given chance after chance - far too many - and they still refused to stop putting their kids' and other people's lives in serious danger.

I only wish we could toss them in the clink and throw the key away.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muffet For This Useful Post:

The older Jarvis brother is actually named Denver Colorado Jarvis. I know that odd names are becoming so common that they are almost not odd anymore. And I know it is no excuse for what he did. But I do imagine it must have been a bit more difficult than normal to be raised with such a strange name. Who would name their kid after a city? A mile high city nonetheless.

Haha... I was born and raised in California, the land of 'strange' or 'unusual' names.

As a matter of fact, my own first name is unusual, as are many of my friends. We've never set a person on fire.

I don't think his name has a thing to do with anything.

Just look at the serial killers with 'common', 'ordinary' names like:

* John (Wayne Gacy)

* Ted (Bundy)

* Richard (Ramirez)

* Charles (Manson)

* David (Berkowitz)

You get my point.
    Last edited by smart blonde; 11-05-2009 at 01:18 AM.
    .... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to smart blonde For This Useful Post:

So it seems in the cases of Denver and Jeremy they were monsters that were created. I take it these kids weren't born evil; it's what they learned from their parents. I'm not giving them a pass, it's just that I always wonder what makes a child do something so horrific.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Did these parents work or were they losers sucking at the taxpayer t!t?

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    So it seems in the cases of Denver and Jeremy they were monsters that were created. I take it these kids weren't born evil; it's what they learned from their parents. I'm not giving them a pass, it's just that I always wonder what makes a child do something so horrific.
    Probably a mix of biological predispositions and environment. But I'm like you - it makes no difference. The only thing it would excuse is violence against the abusive parent. imo

Otherwise, they're just hazardous material out there infecting innocent people. Their parents' repeated crimes have demonstrated the cost of our giving them multiple chances.
    Last edited by Muffet; 11-05-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: grammar

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Muffet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by miimaa View Post
    Did these parents work or were they losers sucking at the taxpayer t!t?
    I haven't seen any answers to that question so far, miimaa.

Charred dolls found at home of Deerfield Beach burn victim

A pair of charred dolls were discovered this week in the backyard of burn victim Michael Brewer's Deerfield Beach home, according to a report released by the Broward Sheriff's Office on Thursday.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...y/1318279.html

This family did not need this on top of all else that has happened.
    Tammie in Miami

Vini, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luzer For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Luzer

What is wrong with people?

From the story:
    -snip-
    The dolls were found Wednesday afternoon in the pool by Brewer's older sister, Malissa Durkee, 22, the report stated.

It was close to 1 p.m. when Durkee checked on the backyard and noticed an open gate -- and found two dolls.

"The male and female dolls had been burned and had been joined together heads to feet,'' the report said.

The dolls belonged to Durkee's three young children. They had last been seen on Tuesday in the front yard of the home in the 1400 block of South Deerfield Avenue.
    -snip-
    I sure hope they catch whoever did this.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muffet For This Useful Post:

What? Is this whole neighborhood trash? If I were the mother and sister, and I could afford it, I would leave this area. Too many heartless, dangerous people living around there.

Blue_Dolphin308 is offline We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone!
    These kids have now been charged with attempted murder.
    Be Kind to yourself, you are worth it!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue_Dolphin308 For This Useful Post:

Not surprising at all. It's no excuse for their attempted murder.
    One of those brothers had a look on his face that looked like the devil, very evil!
    They laughed about it after they were arrested. They think they are "tough boys" well once they get to prison, they'll think twice about that.
    "The cure for crime is not the electric chair, but the high chair."

-J. Edgar Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybass0711 View Post
    These kids have now been charged with attempted murder.
    I'm glad to hear it. What they did to him is worse than murder. Michael will suffer with this all of his life.

As an aside... my cousin badly burned his legs when he was young. He is not 47yo and will not wear shorts because the scars are so bad. The skin does not stretch like normal skin. He was only 6 or 7 when it happened. Had the scabs peeled off, skin grafting, pain.

What those animals -- and that is what they are -- did to Michael is unforgivable no matter what their home life was like. They should have just shot themselves and saved a lot of people a lot of pain and heartache.

North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luzer View Post
    A pair of charred dolls were discovered this week in the backyard of burn victim Michael Brewer's Deerfield Beach home, according to a report released by the Broward Sheriff's Office on Thursday.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...y/1318279.html

This family did not need this on top of all else that has happened.

I immediately wondered if the sisters of the suspects did this? Did anyone else think that?

Quote Originally Posted by tiredblondy View Post
    I immediately wondered if the sisters of the suspects did this? Did anyone else think that?
    It would sure make sense.

I'm ashamed to say that I'm so jaded these days, my first wonder was if the sister of the victim did it.

bolding by me:

Dr. Namias said in an interview that burns of the magnitude suffered by Brewer are hard for most people to imagine.
    "What I tell families when we meet in the family room at the start -- I have to explain to them this is really a big deal, this is not just a little skin condition," he told CNN.
    "His life and your family's life have now changed forever."
    Namias says that Brewer has two things on his side -- his youth, and the fact that his hands and face are not burned, which can be physically and emotionally scarring.
    "Our expectation is survival, and we would be devastated if he didn't. But I don't think that we would be surprised if he didn't," Namias said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/09/...ges/index.html

I'm glad to read this little bit of good news.
    all my comments are just my opinion. jmho. moo. etc. etc.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to gxm For This Useful Post:

I have a cousin who named her son "Dakota Boulder" and yes he is built like a boulder. Big muscular guy so his name suits him.

imo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by gxm View Post
    bolding by me:

Dr. Namias said in an interview that burns of the magnitude suffered by Brewer are hard for most people to imagine.
    "What I tell families when we meet in the family room at the start -- I have to explain to them this is really a big deal, this is not just a little skin condition," he told CNN.
    "His life and your family's life have now changed forever."
    Namias says that Brewer has two things on his side -- his youth, and the fact that his hands and face are not burned, which can be physically and emotionally scarring.
    "Our expectation is survival, and we would be devastated if he didn't. But I don't think that we would be surprised if he didn't," Namias said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/09/...ges/index.html

I'm glad to read this little bit of good news.
    I sure am glad to hear it too.

imo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast