Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FL - Attackers Torch Deerfield Beach Teen

Grandmother of burned teen offers glimpse into family's life
    The grandmother of Michael Brewer reflects on the incidents that almost claimed the lives of her son and grandson.

Michael Brewer lay in a coma in a South Florida hospital. His mother watched over him daily, praying for his recovery while trying to project an image of strength for her family.

It was the early 1980s, and just as his son and namesake would do more than 25 years later, Michael Brewer survived the incident that nearly claimed his life.

Reenie Brewer, in an interview last week, recalled her teenage son's brush with death after he was struck by a car on U.S. 1 in Pompano Beach. It was one of the reasons she was confident early on that his teen son would pull through after he was set on fire during a confrontation with schoolmates in a Deerfield Beach parking lot five months ago.

``It was a major dj vu,'' she said. ``It almost knocked me out the first night.''

The family received good news Friday. The teenager was told by doctors, ``We don't want to see you for another six months,'' a spokeswoman for the family said Friday.

(snip)

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/1...en-offers.html

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daisy7 For This Useful Post:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...75-504083.html

New pictures of the remarkable progress Michael B has made.

The 15-year-old's grandmother released new photos of the teen at a family picnic Sunday, to CBS affiliate WFOR. In the pictures, a smiling Michael is wearing a baseball glove, his blue burn suit visible under his t-shirt.

Michael Brewer (CBS/WFOR)

In Oct. 2009, Michael was allegedly doused in rubbing alcohol and set on fire by classmates. Fifteen-year-old Jeremy Jarvis, Matthew Bent, also 15, and Jesus Mendez, 16, have all been charged as adults with attempted second degree murder in the attack.
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:

I am so thankful for his progress. This was such a horrendous act which is very difficult for me to talk about.

God Bless you Michael.
    Only the dead have seen the end of War.
    Plato

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BOZGAL For This Useful Post:

suzyq211 is offline Someone knows what happened to Robert Harrod!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZGAL View Post
    I am so thankful for his progress. This was such a horrendous act which is very difficult for me to talk about.

God Bless you Michael.
    I agree. Its a miracle that he is alive, let alone making the progress that he has!!
    Robert Harrod will be found.

All my posts are MOO and nothing but MOO!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to suzyq211 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...75-504083.html

New pictures of the remarkable progress Michael B has made.

The 15-year-old's grandmother released new photos of the teen at a family picnic Sunday, to CBS affiliate WFOR. In the pictures, a smiling Michael is wearing a baseball glove, his blue burn suit visible under his t-shirt.

Michael Brewer (CBS/WFOR)

In Oct. 2009, Michael was allegedly doused in rubbing alcohol and set on fire by classmates. Fifteen-year-old Jeremy Jarvis, Matthew Bent, also 15, and Jesus Mendez, 16, have all been charged as adults with attempted second degree murder in the attack.
    Thank you for posting this photo of Michael. He looks great and I'm so glad to hear he is doing well every day!!! What an inspiring young man...a miracle.

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to arielilane For This Useful Post:

So ironic that Michael was friends with Josie, the girl who was horribly beaten and kicked at Deerfield Beach Middle School..they shared a science class

Michael has gone to visit her as she is in a coma, he and his family suggested her family play tapes of voices etc to help her while she is in a coma

http://www.examiner.com/x-19494-Brow...-science-class

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LogicalMinds For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up

Teen set on fire returning to school

Reported by: Associated Press
    Last Update: 2:55 pm

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL -- A South Florida teenager who was doused with an accelerant and set on fire last year says he is going back to school.

Michael Brewer said on Tuesday on the "Today" show that he feels great and that he misses school. He is set to return to school on Wednesday. Family members did not say which school he would be attending.

more here

http://www.abcactionnews.com/content...g.cspx?rss=794
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

awesome.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:

Well well well - seems lil bro can't keep his hands clean!!! Where is momma? Thought that they were all good boys and he was gonna turn his life around?

Boy, 13, former suspect in Michael Brewer burning, faces burglary charge
    By Rafael A. Olmeda, Sun Sentinel

10:24 a.m. EDT, June 16, 2010

FORT LAUDERDALE Jeremy Jarvis, the youngest suspect arrested – but never charged – in last year's burning of teenager Michael Brewer, was in juvenile court Wednesday morning to face a burglary.

The Broward Sheriff's Office says Jarvis, 13, was arrested Tuesday in connection with a burglary that took place in Pompano Beach on May 24. The victim told detectives that Jarvis and another teenager broke into his house to steal a Nintendo Wii system valued at $200, according to a juvenile arrest report.

Jarvis and the other suspect were caught on a video camera hooked up to the victim's computer with a motion detector, according to the report.

Broward Circuit Judge Michael Orlando placed Jarvis under house arrest and set a court date of July 13, when prosecutors are expected to decide what charges to file.

Jarvis' brother, Denver, and two other teenagers are charged with attempted murder for allegedly setting Brewer on fire in a Deerfield Beach parking lot last October.

**more at link**

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,2113314.story

SEE! Guess he just can't stand to be away from his big brother. Welcome to South FloriDUH!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise Old Owl For This Useful Post:

Judge in Michael Brewer's case may release teens' jail-house calls

The three boys accused of setting a Deerfield Beach classmate on fire are scheduled to be back in court Tuesday to find out if a judge will make their jail-house phone calls public.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/2...#ixzz0raZWDOPO

Here's an update on lil bro - he was in court today for the burglary charges:

Ex-Burning Suspect Pleads Not Guilty In Burglary
    Sep 8, 2010 12:05 pm US/Eastern

DEERFIELD BEACH (CBS4) custody in the brutal attack on Deerfield Beach teen Michael Brewer, pleaded not guilty to burglary and grand theft Wednesday in juvenile court.

Jeremy Jarvis, 14, arrested but never charged in the Brewer case, is accused of breaking into a Pompano Beach home on May 24th with another boy to steal a Nintendo Wii.

The boys were caught on a security camera and the homeowner recognized Jarvis as a 'family friend'. When Jarvis was questioned by Broward Sheriff's deputies he reportedly admitted to the break in.

**more at link**
    http://cbs4.com/local/jeremy.jarvis....ml#addComments

Again, over a stupid video game. The should have kept his butt in jail the first time.

The youngest of five boys originally taken into

Michael Brewer will begin his Tuesday on national TV, appearing on the Today show to recall the horrific ordeal that changed his life.

It's the second time he has been to New York City, both trips courtesy of NBC's morning show.

The experience is a world away from his life before the Oct. 12, 2009, attack, in which the Deerfield Beach teen was doused with rubbing alcohol and set on fire by schoolmates.

On Monday, Brewer celebrated his 16th birthday -- a milestone that many doctors, friends and family members feared he would never reach after the majority of his body was covered with second- and third-degree burns.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/1...#ixzz128jT4B1W

22. The Following User Says Thank You to daisy7 For This Useful Post:

I am watching right now! Michael looks so great and has buffed up a bit. He is so handsome! I am getting chillbumps listening to he and his family speak of their ordeal. God bless them!

wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

24. The Following User Says Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

This will make you smile.

Burned teen turns 16, calls accused attackers 'jerks'

Wilton Manors, Florida (CNN) -- The birthday boy seemed a bit overwhelmed from the moment he walked in the door.
    Michael Brewer came to his 16th birthday party at the Florida Senior Living community as its adopted grandson. He was shy, a little awkward, but, then again, not every birthday party comes with reporters and television cameras.

He's no longer in physical therapy, and he's no longer taking medication. He said he wants to go to college and hopes to be an FBI agent.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/12/...ex.html?hpt=T2

Prayers for this amazing young man!
    Just striving to be average.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alwaysonmymind For This Useful Post:

Michael Brewer sat in the back row of a Broward County courtroom Friday afternoon, flanked by his mother on one side and his father on the other. Brewer, 16, looked intently as one by one, the former friends accused of setting him on fire in a Deerfield Beach parking lot last year were brought in to face a judge.

It was the first time the four were in the same place since that horrific incident. It came during a hearing that some, including Brewer's family, thought would settle the case. Brewer, his parents and his grandmother each were prepared to address Broward Circuit Judge Jeffrey Levenson if the three defendants had pleaded guilty to second-degree attempted murder charges.

But those pleas never came. Instead, defense lawyers said they expect to be ready for trial early next year. Levenson said he expects to be transferred to another division before then, meaning the case will go to yet another judge. The last judge on the case, Carlos Rebollo, recused himself late last month.

(snip)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...,2462600.story

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daisy7 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
    Michael Brewer sat in the back row of a Broward County courtroom Friday afternoon, flanked by his mother on one side and his father on the other. Brewer, 16, looked intently as one by one, the former friends accused of setting him on fire in a Deerfield Beach parking lot last year were brought in to face a judge.

It was the first time the four were in the same place since that horrific incident. It came during a hearing that some, including Brewer's family, thought would settle the case. Brewer, his parents and his grandmother each were prepared to address Broward Circuit Judge Jeffrey Levenson if the three defendants had pleaded guilty to second-degree attempted murder charges.

But those pleas never came. Instead, defense lawyers said they expect to be ready for trial early next year. Levenson said he expects to be transferred to another division before then, meaning the case will go to yet another judge. The last judge on the case, Carlos Rebollo, recused himself late last month.

(snip)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...,2462600.story
    The reason the defense lawyers gave for not taking the plea agreement was that they weren't assured that the defendants would not be sentenced to an adult correctional facility. That' just ridiculous! One of the defendants is already 17. Should these guys spend the next 10-15 years with juveniles?

I hope when they go to trial, they end up with 25 to life. Anywhere in there would seem fair to me. They intentionally SET Michael on FIRE and watched him BURN. The only reason Michael is alive is that he was able to jump into a nearby pool. Luckily, Michael ONLY suffered burns covering 2/3 of his body, and ONLY had to spend two months in a burn unit. Bless that kid, I am so glad he is doing as good as he is. It's a testament to his strong character.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tuffy For This Useful Post:

It truly, truly frightens me that people are willing to do such vicious things to other human beings. Why? Where does it stop? Who can stop it? Why would these kids consider it 'even steven' by lighting him on fire for a $40 dollar game. It just messes with my head.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belinda For This Useful Post:

These attackers go to trial in the next weeks. Each of the 3 boys get their own trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by wptv article
    Broward Circuit Judge Michael Robinson ordered separate trials for Matthew Bent, now 17, the accused ringleader reportedly angry over a $40 debt; Denver Jarvis, now 17, accused of pouring a flammable liquid on the victim at Bent's command; and Jesus Mendez, now 18, accused of taunting the victim by flicking a lighter and igniting the life-threatening blaze.

Mendez will be first to go to trial, with jury selection scheduled for Feb. 27. Bent will be next, starting March 12. Jarvis will go last, starting March 26. Each defendant has been charged with second-degree attempted murder, punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
    Click link for more.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/t...r-burning-case

Would there be a change of this one being featured on In Session?

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to buffetoflies For This Useful Post:

Two teenagers accused of setting schoolmate Michael Brewer on fire in a Deerfield Beach parking lot more than two years ago pleaded no contest to second degree attempted murder Wednesday, throwing themselves on the mercy of a Broward judge instead of taking their chances with a jury.

A third defendant decided, apparently at the last minute, to take his case to trial as scheduled next month.

Jesus Mendez, 18, was promptly sentenced to 11 years in a Florida state prison, one year of community control and 18 years of probation. Co-defendant Denver Jarvis, 17, received an eight-year prison sentence, to be followed by one year of community control and 21 years of probation.

(snip)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,3338856.story

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daisy7 For This Useful Post:

I came to post this update but see that Daisy was already on top of it.

So Bent has elected to go to trial? Oh well, sux to be him I guess. He will be sorry and get a lot more time than either of the other two. I saw on my local news that Michael was in court for this - he looks good. Thank the Lord.

Finally seeing justice for this horrible crime.

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wise Old Owl For This Useful Post:

Hundreds of potential jurors will face the same set of questions when they report for duty at the Broward County courthouse on Thursday.

Have they heard of the burning of Deerfield Beach teenager Michael Brewer? Have they formed an opinion about the guilt or innocence of Matthew Bent, the schoolmate accused of leading the attack that left Brewer fighting for his life? Can they put their opinions aside and give Bent, 17, a fair trial?

The Broward State Attorney's Office, defense lawyers and the judge overseeing the case are anticipating a lengthy jury selection process beginning Thursday, continuing Friday and resuming a week later.

(snip)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...,3124806.story

Those boys who pleaded no contest sure didn't get as much prison time as they should have in my book. They should have gone away for a lot longer. Let's hope the ring leader is found guilty at trial and is sent to prison for a huge chunk of time!!!

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Road For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
    Two teenagers accused of setting schoolmate Michael Brewer on fire in a Deerfield Beach parking lot more than two years ago pleaded no contest to second degree attempted murder Wednesday, throwing themselves on the mercy of a Broward judge instead of taking their chances with a jury.

A third defendant decided, apparently at the last minute, to take his case to trial as scheduled next month.

Jesus Mendez, 18, was promptly sentenced to 11 years in a Florida state prison, one year of community control and 18 years of probation. Co-defendant Denver Jarvis, 17, received an eight-year prison sentence, to be followed by one year of community control and 21 years of probation.

(snip)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,3338856.story
    You're kidding me, eight years and eleven years for purposely setting someone on fire? Over a video game? That is not nearly enough considering the enormous amount of pain Michael obviously suffered. Burns are brutally painful plus he will have to live with the scars for the rest of his life. Ugh.

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

It's maddening to me. I'm sitting here in disbelief and fuming about the light sentence those attackers received!! I had to read it three times before it wanted to believe it! That's all? Like you said, Michael will suffer from that attack for the rest of his life!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy Road For This Useful Post:

I love that photo of Michael smiling with his family as they leave court. He grew into a handsome young man. Glad to see him get a little closure.
    all my comments are just my opinion. jmho. moo. etc. etc.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gxm For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast