748 users online (112 members and 636 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Post Health Food... or Health Fraud?

Beware of packaging propaganda: Food-industry health claims can be misleading, say researchers at the University of California, Davis.

You see, your supermarket's shelves are packed with overhyped health claims. And while many of these claims may be factual, they may also be giving you the wrong impression about just how healthful a product really is.

That's because marketers highlight what they want you to notice. Use this guide to learn the science behind the sales pitch. Call it the Eat This, Not That crib sheet for helping you to beat Big Food at its own game--and be ultimately leaner and healthier for life:

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatt...-health-fraud/
    Last edited by Dark Knight; 10-13-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

One of the first things I learned in changing my eating habits is the difference between "sugar free" products and "no sugar added" products.

Something can be "no sugar added" and still contain a lot of natural sugar.

I've seen that book around and I think I'm going to get it one of these days. But I don't really need a book to tell me that I shouldn't be eating Cheetos Puffs.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for pretending to be someone I'm not.

Dark Knight, thank you for the link, I totally need a book to help me figure out "tricks" in sales and labeling of products we may or may not consume.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdieBoo View Post
    One of the first things I learned in changing my eating habits is the difference between "sugar free" products and "no sugar added" products.

Something can be "no sugar added" and still contain a lot of natural sugar.

I've seen that book around and I think I'm going to get it one of these days. But I don't really need a book to tell me that I shouldn't be eating Cheetos Puffs.
    WHAT!!!! Cheeto Puffs are bad for you??????
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."

Quote Originally Posted by DollyPardonMe View Post
    WHAT!!!! Cheeto Puffs are bad for you??????
    They have no trans fats though. And really as long as you wash it all down with a diet coke, you can eat whatever you want
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for pretending to be someone I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdieBoo View Post
    They have no trans fats though. And really as long as you wash it all down with a diet coke, you can eat whatever you want
    Good one BirdieBoo. lol

Aren't the three basic food groups COLD (ice cream), SWEET (cake), and SALT (chips)?

Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    Aren't the three basic food groups COLD (ice cream), SWEET (cake), and SALT (chips)?
    You forgot wine.

But seriously, this is a major problem with food labels. Even when you think you are being "good" by eating low fat or reduced sugar, often a closer inspection of the label reveals that the low fat version only saves 1-2 grams of fat and makes up for the taste with extra sugar so you are actually getting MORE calories. Or vice versa. Plus who knows what all those chemicals they use to make it low fat are doing to you!

I think this is why I've struggled so many times to lose weight, but am now finding success with my current plan. To quote Jillian, don't eat it unless it grows from the ground or has a mother. And I don't remember seeing a Cheetos tree out back!

angelmom, do you have a thread about your current diet plan? I've gotten so lost in "low-fat" "high fiber" "heart smart", etc... The quote about growing from the ground or having a mother is fairly easy to understand, I'd like to hear more, if you can share the name of the plan you're using? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz_Mum View Post
    angelmom, do you have a thread about your current diet plan? I've gotten so lost in "low-fat" "high fiber" "heart smart", etc... The quote about growing from the ground or having a mother is fairly easy to understand, I'd like to hear more, if you can share the name of the plan you're using? Thanks in advance.
    I'm not angelmom, but I watch Gillian McKeith religiously. Here's her website to check out. She has a great show called You Are What You Eat on BBC.

http://www.gillianmckeith.info/

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz_Mum View Post
    It's from Jillian Michaels' newest book, Master Your Metabolism.

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    And I don't remember seeing a Cheetos tree out back!
    So..... if I'm able to figure out how to grow a Cheeto tree that means I can eat them??