Dannon settles false advertising lawsuit over Activia, DanActive yogurt

Guess that will put Jaime Lee Curtis out of a job...

I can't even wrap my mind around the kind of money they're talking about if $35 million avoids a costly litigation! :eek:

I tried Activia last year but it didn't do anything that I could tell. My SIL swears by it...wait until she hears about this.

Well it sure moves me...LOL literally. I can tell the days I don't eat it. I can guaranteeeee that when I do eat it what moves is not my mind. :innocent:

I've bought a LOT of the DanActive the last few winters mainly because it claimed it was clinically prove to boost the immune system (although I was never sure if it helped or not, lol.) Needless to say, I was not happy to hear about this and I will certainly try to get in on the class action to get some of money back!

From the link above:

As part of the settlement, the company agreed to make changes to the labeling and advertising of Activia and DanActive by increasing the visibility of the scientific names of the "probiotic" cultures in the yogurts, court documents said. Dannon also agreed to remove the word "immunity" from its DanActive products.

DanActive labels that say the yogurt has "a positive effect on your digestive tract's immune system" will be reworded to say the yogurt will "interact with your digestive tract's immune system."

That just doesn't sound like such a huge big deal to me. $35M??? :crazy:

My gastrointerologist swears by it, and it has helped any time my DD or I have had to be on antibiotics. I've switched to natural Greek yogurt now to avoid the artificial sweeteners, but I think the cultures are really good for you.

I think the issue here is they were trying to tout the benefits of live and active cultures (which yogurt has always had) without calling it live and active cultures. Most, if not all, yogurts have these cultures, and have always been good for digestion. Each person will have different experiences though.

Yogurt cultures are a pro-biotic, however, their marketing was extremely deceptive when they attempted to claim their yogurt provided more pro-biotic benefit. Across the board, yogurt pretty much has the same stuff. Shame on them.

Wouldn't all yogurt have the same benefits?? I look for yogurt that has "acidopholus" on the label. That works.

I saw one of their ads on TV this morning and it still stated something like "proven to change your gastrointestinal system." Not a direct quote, but they used the word "proven" which I thought was the language they had to change?

I take kefir whenever I'm on antibiotics, to combat a potential yeast imbalance. My understanding (from decades ago) is that one needs the combination of acidopholus and lactobacillus both of which were supposedly in kefir v.s. plain yogurt.

DanActive seems like kefir, albeit not quite so thick. I used to consume it for its immune system boost but I must admit, I never truly believed those claims. I just figured it couldn't hurt me until I made a trip to Trader Joe's for kefir. ;-)

Ack, just looked-up a dictionary def: kefir contains lactobacillus and streptococcus. Hmmm.

Agree with others about $35M seeming excessive.

Kefir is a little strong for us in taste. We use yogurt and Culturelle probiotics when needed.

If only 1 million people (out of a country of 330 million) take part in the class action and receive the maximum $100 back, that's $100 million right there. Even with lesser amounts given, they will blow through $35 million easily, and likely sold far more than that over the past several years.

If only 1 million people (out of a country of 330 million) take part in the class action and receive the maximum $100 back, that's $100 million right there. Even with lesser amounts given, they will blow through $35 million easily, and likely sold far more than that over the past several years.

Not to mention the 11 million + for lawyers' fees.

How will they ever prove this sort of thing for people? I know my mother bought it, but she won't take all the time to try to get a refund. Maybe it's the people who bought in bulk for organizations that will take part.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back