Horses and Therapy

RainbowsAndGumdrops

Reaction score
Horses and therapy have been mentioned. I don't know about the accuracy of details and whether Jaycee has simply had the opportunity to ride horses or if it is an important part of her therapy. I'm not concerned about that. That is her private life and I don't want to intrude.

However, I have been thinking about the use of horses for therapy in general. How can an individual heal through horses?
  • You have to learn to care for the horse
  • You have to learn to trust the horse
  • The horse has to learn to trust you
  • You have to learn to ride the horse
  • You have to be prepared if the horse gets spooked
  • You have a beautiful and majestic creature with you
  • You are surrounded by the tranquility of nature
  • You have to work hard to take care of the horse
  • Riding horses can be an outlet and a freedom when nothing else can be
  • Horse riding can be something you do with those that you care about
  • You love the horses, even if it is hard to love people
I'm sure I could make up a list that could go on an on. Does anyone have a more professional opinion on the uses or horses and therapy?

Horses and therapy have been mentioned. I don't know about the accuracy of details and whether Jaycee has simply had the opportunity to ride horses or if it is an important part of her therapy. I'm not concerned about that. That is her private life and I don't want to intrude.

However, I have been thinking about the use of horses for therapy in general. How can an individual heal through horses?
I'm sure I could make up a list that could go on an on. Does anyone have a more professional opinion on the uses or horses and therapy?

im not a professional but i think all this is added by the fact that she loved horses as a child, before she was taken. that cant hurt in the therapy. getting back to what you used to do.

I know that horses are used in therapy for brain-injured adults/ physical therapy and maintaining a sense of balance, and with autistic children to help them bond with a living animal, and I think the sense of motion helps them as well...

If you google "equine therapy," there are several organizations that do this kind of work. On a side note, the company that makes the facial care products that I use, MyChelle Dermaceuticals, collaborates with an equine therapy program in Colorado, and so some of their profits go to that. I think that's pretty cool.

My son, who suffered severe brain damage after being shaken by his father, had the opportunity to participate in a program like this. Overprotective me, though, couldn't deal with the thought of my 1-year old on a huge horse, so I decided to wait until he was older. Like LinasK mentioned, it can be very helpful in developing trunk and motor control as well as balance and social/emotional skills.

In addition I heard it's something they can do as a family for fun without talking.

If you google "equine therapy," there are several organizations that do this kind of work. On a side note, the company that makes the facial care products that I use, MyChelle Dermaceuticals, collaborates with an equine therapy program in Colorado, and so some of their profits go to that. I think that's pretty cool.

My son, who suffered severe brain damage after being shaken by his father, had the opportunity to participate in a program like this. Overprotective me, though, couldn't deal with the thought of my 1-year old on a huge horse, so I decided to wait until he was older. Like LinasK mentioned, it can be very helpful in developing trunk and motor control as well as balance and social/emotional skills.

i hope they threw the book at his father :furious:

i am familiar with an "at-risk" boys school in California where they have a 4H program. Four boys a year are given the opportunity to raise an animal (usually sheep) to show and sell in the county fair. i can't even stress enough how well these programs work! they are absolutely %100 responsible for the animal and they have a teacher who teaches them how to do everything. some of them complain about it at first, having to pick up poop, clean them etc., but within a couple months they are soooo attached to that animal. When they go to show, they are so proud of themselves for sticking with it and providing the animal love, shelter, food.....not realizing how much they themselves have grown by showing responsiblity and empathy and so many other great things. not to mention, they ususally come home with some pretty fat checks that the animal earns them and that shows them that hard work and perserverance pay off.....the school allows the boy to keep all of the money ....

while not working with horses, i believe this is the same type of therapy. i am a true believer in animal therapy and am so glad that this is part of Jaycee's recovery.

So sorry about your son...OMG...Bless your Heart....:praying:
Hope you left the SOB...

When someone suffers a Trauma, it is great thing to reconnect them to the things they love.
JC did love horses and animals and obviously in the back yard she managed to draw some to her and taught the girls to enjoy them too.

Taking them to a place that is remote and has horses was actually brilliant. Since there is no references in the books for how to heal their kind of trauma.

With animals they need not have any previous experience.
They are united to something they LOVE and it allows them to focus on Love.
As a result they learn about themselves, other people and interacting with the world.
It's not about riding a horse - it is about how they feel out there with the animals that allows them to get in touch with feelings they may have submerged that will be allowed to resurface. It is a good thing :) and they do not need any previous experience of horses.

When someone suffers a Trauma, it is great thing to reconnect them to the things they love.
JC did love horses and animals and obviously in the back yard she managed to draw some to her and taught the girls to enjoy them too.

Taking them to a place that is remote and has horses was actually brilliant. Since there is no references in the books for how to heal their kind of trauma.

With animals they need not have any previous experience.
They are united to something they LOVE and it allows them to focus on Love.
As a result they learn about themselves, other people and interacting with the world.
It's not about riding a horse - it is about how they feel out there with the animals that allows them to get in touch with feelings they may have submerged that will be allowed to resurface. It is a good thing :) and they do not need any previous experience of horses.

as far as the girls are concerned you are a 100 percent correct :)
like i said in my message to jaycee this morning, horses were a part of her life before, and im so happy shes reconnecting to who she was, and not letting this change who she is inside :)

as far as the girls are concerned you are a 100 percent correct :)
like i said in my message to jaycee this morning, horses were a part of her life before, and im so happy shes reconnecting to who she was, and not letting this change who she is inside :)
You never cease to show us who you are inside, and you are a rare Gem :blowkiss:

Aww, no, you two are sweet...if you were fighting, that'd be different, but I think mutual admiration is always welcome here! I think it's great to get to know each other a little...makes us a more cohesive group.

Regarding my son: thanks for your concern, guys, and yes, I left the evil jerk...it took a while to plan and save to get out while pretending I wasn't going anywhere, but I'm safe and even though my son died from his injuries, at least I don't have to worry about keeping him safe anymore because he's safe forever now. I'm over 700 miles away from son's bio dad now, so I am safe. If anyone needs to worry about their safety, it's bio dad...because nobody's forgotten what he did. I'm not a violent person, and don't condone violence, but there are a lot of people out there who wouldn't slow down if bio dad happened to get in the path of their car, YKWIM?:)

Aww, no, you two are sweet...if you were fighting, that'd be different, but I think mutual admiration is always welcome here! I think it's great to get to know each other a little...makes us a more cohesive group.

Regarding my son: thanks for your concern, guys, and yes, I left the evil jerk...it took a while to plan and save to get out while pretending I wasn't going anywhere, but I'm safe and even though my son died from his injuries, at least I don't have to worry about keeping him safe anymore because he's safe forever now. I'm over 700 miles away from son's bio dad now, so I am safe. If anyone needs to worry about their safety, it's bio dad...because nobody's forgotten what he did. I'm not a violent person, and don't condone violence, but there are a lot of people out there who wouldn't slow down if bio dad happened to get in the path of their car, YKWIM?:)

I wouldn't slow down and I don't even know him! On a serious note, I am so incredibly sorry for the loss of your son. I can't begin to imagine the pain you have experienced.

i hate violence. im not a violent man by nature.
that being said, when it comes to sicks like your ex, garrido, and other monsters like that, i, like many others here, would like 5 minutes alone with them :)
god bless you and your son flourish.

I wouldn't slow down and I don't even know him! On a serious note, I am so incredibly sorry for the loss of your son. I can't begin to imagine the pain you have experienced.

i second that...........

Just dropping in to say. I feel the same way..
Thank-you for sharing Flourish..

I hope you are always in Gods sweet embrace..
that story is so sad my heart just stopped for a minute...
:praying:May the rest of your days be a string of blessings.

:blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back