1237 users online (274 members and 963 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PN - Amish Couple Facing Charges Related To Sexual Abuse Of Their Daughters:

The wife of an Amish man charged last week with several sex offenses involving two of his children is facing charges herself for not protecting her kids.

Fannie Schwartz (a.), 47, Seymour, is facing two counts of endangering the welfare of a child because prosecutors say she knew her husband, Johnny Schwartz, was sexually assaulting her daughters and did nothing to stop him.

http://crimesceneinvestigations.blogspot.com/2009/10/amish-couple-facing-charges-related-to.html
    Last edited by Kathee; 10-15-2009 at 08:22 PM.
    Don't confront me with my failures.....I had not forgotten them.

Jackson Browne

Gross! I believe this type of thing is quite common in the Amish communities. So tragic.

I think all mothers who fail to protect their children in this way should go straight to jail, without passing go or collecting $200 dollars!
    Happy New Years

Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
    I think all mothers who fail to protect their children in this way should go straight to jail, without passing go or collecting $200 dollars!
    I agree. They are conspirators of the felony of rape and should be charged and sentenced just as if they were the rapist.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    Gross! I believe this type of thing is quite common in the Amish communities. So tragic.
    It would be interesting to see statistics regarding how common it is amongst the Amish vs. non-Amish households.

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    It would be interesting to see statistics regarding how common it is amongst the Amish vs. non-Amish households.
    I would think it would be the same.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    I think you're right.

wonders is offline My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post

Count me in too.
    A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty....

I know there seems to be a lot of curiosity surrounding the Amish -- trust me, I see all the tourists clogging the streets where I live! And if a horrendous rumor were started (i.e. they "share" their daughters with uncles and elders of the church, etc.) the Amish would never refute it, even if it were false. That's not their way. They would say nothing.

Aside from the fact that they don't use electricity, in many respects, they're pretty much like you and me. They cry when they're sad; they get depressed; they work hard; they like to have fun; family is important to them; they pay property taxes; they help out their neighbors; they discipline their children; they fall in love; they get married; they die. I was in the hospital with my son once, and there was an Amish family whose child had just died. Never in my life have I heard such heartbreaking sobbing and keening as I did then. When you cut them, they bleed, just like us. They rely tremendously on their faith, and tend to turn the other cheek when harrassed or hurt by the actions of others.

Yes, I'm sure there are instances of spousal abuse, child abuse; abusing alcohol (especially among those under 25); and, as we've seen recently, even murder, as well as a host of other ills that plague society nowadays.

I would agree that the rate of abuse is similar to the rest of us, possibly even a tad lower.

I know some will argue that they have higher rates of mental illness, mental retardation, physical birth defects, due to "intermarrying". And that may well be the case, (to be honest, I'm not really sure); but that's a whole different thread topic.
    Last edited by oh_gal; 10-16-2009 at 11:42 AM.

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    I know there seems to be a lot of curiosity surrounding the Amish -- trust me, I see all the tourists clogging the streets where I live! And if a horrendous rumor were started (i.e. they "share" their daughters with uncles and elders of the church, etc.) the Amish would never refute it, even if it were false. That's not their way. They would say nothing.

Aside from the fact that they don't use electricity, in many respects, they're pretty much like you and me. They cry when they're sad; they get depressed; they work hard; they like to have fun; family is important to them; they pay property taxes; they help out their neighbors; they discipline their children; they fall in love; they get married; they die. I was in the hospital with my son once, and there was an Amish family whose child had just died. Never in my life have I heard such heartbreaking sobbing and keening as I did then. When you cut them, they bleed, just like us. They rely tremendously on their faith, and tend to turn the other cheek when harrassed or hurt by the actions of others.

Yes, I'm sure there are instances of spousal abuse, child abuse; abusing alcohol (especially among those under 25); and, as we've seen recently, even murder, as well as a host of other ills that plague society nowadays.

I would agree that the rate of abuse is similar to the rest of us, possibly even a tad lower.

I know some will argue that they have higher rates of mental illness, mental retardation, physical birth defects, due to "intermarrying". And that may well be the case, (to be honest, I'm not really sure); but that's a whole different thread topic.
    Thank you for saying this ohio girl! I was just about to say the same thing! I grew up in the heart of Amish Ohio and totally agree with you.

Thank you so much for your insightful post.

The sheriff of Webster County was meeting with church elders in the Amish community today to help them understand that they can "hotline" calls of abuse.

Don't know if that will do anything to help prevent future situations in the community or not as I don't believe that many of the families have phones.

Jackson Browne

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    Thank you for saying this ohio girl! I was just about to say the same thing! I grew up in the heart of Amish Ohio and totally agree with you.
    Another thumbs up from me. I used to live outside of Lancaster, PA where Amish horse-n-buggies are a common sight. They really are just "regular" people with an uncommon lifestyle.

I am glad to see the wife being accountable regardless of culture. If a mother knows that her husband is hurting her child and does nothing, it is the same as doing it herself. I understand that there might be some psychological hurdles to comprehending that the man you love/ married/ had a baby with is a deviant monster, but by ignoring / denying its occurrence, you are hurting the child twice. Have there ever been interviews with women who are guilty of this to explain their thinking? I'd be curious if it is like a battered woman type syndrome or something, I just can't understand that kind of behavior?

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathee View Post
    Thank you so much for your insightful post.

The sheriff of Webster County was meeting with church elders in the Amish community today to help them understand that they can "hotline" calls of abuse.

Don't know if that will do anything to help prevent future situations in the community or not as I don't believe that many of the families have phones.
    bbm

in the amish community I grew up in (I am not amish lol..but literally grew up right in the middle of the community), they always had some sort of access to phones... even if it were their driver's phone. Also a lot of business people that I know are allowed to have a cell phone for their business use, etc.

IIRC, it was the driver of this family that actually reported the abuse..

However, where I think the disconnect could be is in them trusting the hotline... The Amish that I know would go to their elders before anything else and take care of things from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    bbm

even if it were their driver's phone.
    IIRC, it was the driver of this family that actually reported the abuse..
    Can you explain the "driver" situation? I noticed in the PC that that is who called cops. Does the driver take multiple people in a van or car for errands or to Dr. appts?

I agree with you that things will still probably continue to be handled as they have been in the past.
    Last edited by Kathee; 10-16-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Jackson Browne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast