Neighbors Thought Dead Man Was Halloween Display

oceanblueeyes

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568040,00.html

LOS ANGELES — Residents of a Southern California apartment complex say they saw a lifeless body slumped on a neighbor's patio, but didn't call police because they thought it was part of a Halloween display.

Mostafa Mahmoud Zayed had apparently been dead since Monday.

This is so sad and disturbing. Down the street from my mother's house, a neighbor has put a "body" across their sidewalk, covered in a bloody sheet. They have crime tape draped around the edges of the yard. Personally, I feel some people take Halloween overboard, and I'm not surprised these people were confused.

I think both of the previous posts show the extent to which our society has become desensitized toward violence and crime. In the first, a prime example of how we no longer "see" the violence and/or death going on around us. The second, a reminder that violence has become nothing more than entertainment.

No one should be living in a society where a dead man is mistaken for a Halloween prop OR that a 'body' is used as one.

And people wonder why our young people are the way that they are..........

Associated Press

<!--date-->Posted: 10/17/2009 10:46:49 AM PDT
<!--secondary date-->Updated: 10/17/2009 10:46:51 AM PDT

<script language="JavaScript"> var requestedWidth = 0; </script>
<script language="JavaScript"> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </script>Residents of a Marina del Rey apartment complex say they saw a lifeless body slumped on a neighbor's patio, but didn't call police because they thought it was part of a Halloween display.
Mostafa Mahmoud Zayed had apparently been dead since Monday.
Cameraman Austin Raishbrook, owner of RMG News, told the Los Angeles Times he was at the scene Thursday when authorities arrived. The 75-year-old man was slumped over a chair on the third-floor balcony of his apartment with a single gunshot wound to the eye. more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/weird-news/ci_13584624

That is so sad. I remember something like this a few years ago-I think the man hung himself and people thought he was a Halloween decoration.

Wasn't there a situation a few years ago in which a man hanged himself from a tree in his yard and everyone thought it was a Halloween decoration? I think he was up there for a week or so.
Yes I agree we've been desensitized as a society to some things. And I don't think we're the better for it.

If it helps, I would have called.
I am not desensitized to death or the possibility of it showing up in day to day life.
I'm so overly sensitized that I check old car seats that people leave in store parking lots. Just to make sure they didn't leave the baby too.

For some reason, this sickens me more than is reasonable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back