1039 users online (192 members and 847 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Florida Everglades fear rise of the people-eating super-snakes

An invasion of giant snakes has turned Florida into a potential spawning ground for hybrid super-serpents capable of devouring humans.

The discovery of African rock pythons close to the Everglades wetlands is a worrying development for wildlife officers already troubled by the rising population of Burmese pythons, bred from pets dumped illegally in the wild.

Kenneth Krysko, a herpetologist at the Florida Museum of Natural History, speculates that should the two species mate, they could create genetically superior offspring more aggressive, powerful and resilient than their parents — possibly with the ability to strike down human prey.

Rock pythons are “so mean, they come out of the egg striking . . . this is one vicious animal”, he told National Geographic News. “The arrival of the Burmese python was the biggest, most devastating problem that Florida could ever have imagined.

Now we have a worse one.”

More at link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6878440.ece

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Smile

I don't think I'll be vacationing in Florida any time soon!

I am phobic about snakes. And in August, when we were living at my in-laws,' their rat terrier tangled with a water moccasin. She was struck twice, but thankfully lived. However, she looked (and still does to a lesser degree) like something from Pet Cemetery. She lost all the skin and underlying tissue where the snake bit her twice. The tissue and skin are growing back, but I don't think she'll have fur on one side of her face or neck. And stink! I have never smelled anything that bad. Needless to say, the snake was killed as were its two buddies that were also in the yard! (Note to self, don't ever make husband mad when he has a shovel in his hand! LOL)

I just had to tuck my feet up under me, as I sit in my chair. LoL Snakes freak me out, and now there are people-eater snakes invading the country. Egadssss...

EEWWW! Snakes! I'm glad to be far from Florida!

Tezi, I'm glad the dog survived, the poor thing. Tell your husband, he is my hero!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Patthebunny View Post
    Tezi, I'm glad the dog survived, the poor thing. Tell your husband, he is my hero!
    I am glad she made it also. The vet were my MIL took her said she was the 20th dog that had been bit last summer that had been brought into the vet. Right after she was bit, another rat terrier was bit by another water moccasin, but that dog died, I guess it was the area in which the dog was injured. The anti-venom really worked for my MIL's dog!

I will tell my husband....LOL
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

I would think not many little dogs would survive a snake bite like that.

That is my worst nightmare. Kill me now.

Smile

I would think not many little dogs would survive a snake bite like that.
    My MIL took her to the vet immediately, so I think that helped her. She was bitten on the head and in the neck. The other rat terrier that was attacked after she was, was bit in the chest. Her owner took her immediately to the vet, but even after getting the anti-venom, she died that night. I think where the bite is has something to do with the survival rate.

My MIL brought her home after she had the anti-venom. But, she swelled up so bad over the next two days, that she had to go back to the vet. She ended up staying for three days there because she couldn't eat, so the vet had to give her IV fluids along with steroids. After the swelling went down, that is when the skin and tissue started to rot off of her face and neck. She's still on anti-biotics and the vet says she will have to stay on them until all of the skin is healed over. That could be as much as three more months.

On the lighter side, she already has her Halloween costume! LOL

Sorry for hijacking the thread.......

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

I won't be going to FL soon either...it was bad enough when I found out about the pythons -- now *this*!!

I was supposed to go to Australia on a business trip a few years ago, but after one of my co-workers started telling me about the snakes he saw when he was there, which I'd already seen on a documentary (snakes on the shelves in stores, ginormous snakes in swimming pools, etc) -- I 'sacrificed' my rotation to Oz & let one of the other guys go.

No thanks. No snakes for me. <shudders>
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Are any of these snakes at Disneyworld? If they are, maybe I didn't really want to know that!

Quote Originally Posted by Brwnigirl View Post
    Are any of these snakes at Disneyworld? If they are, maybe I didn't really want to know that!
    LOL! No! Only in the everglades, but remember, they haven't actually FOUND any of these hybrids, it's only a theory.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

'Theory", is good enough for me! I'll take their word for it!

Wink

'Theory", is good enough for me! I'll take their word for it!
    I'll take it as the "gospel truth!" No questions asked! LOL

Yet another problem for Florida. My goodness, this state has serious issues.....crime wise, now animal wise.

I would seriously have a stroke if I ever visited Florida and came across "wildlife".

Scary...........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast