Poll: If an R confessed, would you accept it?

If an R confessed, would you accept

• Total voters

BBB167893

Former Member
Reaction score
Polls are all the rage around here, so here's my contribution. A while back, HOTYH actually asked me the title question, but we never expanded on it. Here's a chance for us to do that.

But there's a twist: regardless of your answer, I'd like to know your reasons.

I guess it depends what made her/him confess.

Let's say PR left a note(confession) before dying which will be made public one day....dunno if I'd buy that.......maybe it was written to protect JR if charged.

If JR would confess while being grilled by LE........yeah.

I would have to agree if it was a confession from PR in a letter, I don't know cause then I will sit here and wonder if JR was covering from himself cause he as distance himself from this case....Cause no matter how I answer this, I see both them guilty...

well- thats a sticky one SD....what if John confesses that Patsy was the one who killed JB.How would we know if he's telling the truth, with her being dead ? what if he's covering for himself...
But, if he confesses that HE HIMSELF did it, or Burke confesses that he himself (or either one of the parents did it) , then thats a different story...

This is a really hard question, Dave. My first thought was 'yes' but then I got to thinking about other issues. Will have to think about this..

IA with the others,would depend on the circumstances,seeing as JR is the only parent of JB still alive and Patsy can no longer speak up.

I doubt Patsy will be the one - but one never knows nowadays with all this new technology.

There is no statute of limitations for murder or attempt, conspiracy, or solicitation to commit murder in the State of Colorado. This would make any confession highly unlikely. It also appears unlikely that JR has any sort of conscience that might compel him to confess, especially after this length of time.
Burke may have a conscience, although love and loyalty to his father and the memory of his mother has trumped that so far and probably will continue to do so.
The only scenario in which I could see a real confession would be after the death of JR – perhaps a death bed tell all by Burke. At that time I think we would all find it acceptable and genuine.

When I say I would accept the confession, I am assuming the confessor is providing a plausible scenario of how it all went down that would explain everything.

There is no statute of limitations for murder or attempt, conspiracy, or solicitation to commit murder in the state of Colorado. This would make any confession highly unlikely. It also appears unlikely that JR has any sort of conscience that might compel him to confess, especially after this length of time.
Burke may have a conscience, although love and loyalty to his father and the memory of his mother has trumped that so far and probably will continue to do so.
The only scenario in which I could see a real confession would be after the death of JR – perhaps a death bed tell all by Burke. At that time I think we would all find it acceptable and genuine.

I absolutely agree with all of this. I don't see JR confessing to this crime, guilty or not, and I also do not see BR coming forward with what he knows while his father is still alive. The only thing I'd see JR doing is putting the blame on Patsy. Either because she actually WAS the one who did it or because she'd dead and can't be prosecuted.

I don't see Burke EVER saying ANYTHING.IMO he doesn't even remember much,his parents took care of it I am sure.

Interesting though what JAR had to say when LE briefly questionned him those first few days. (ST's book)

well- thats a sticky one SD....what if John confesses that Patsy was the one who killed JB.How would we know if he's telling the truth, with her being dead ? what if he's covering for himself...
But, if he confesses that HE HIMSELF did it, or Burke confesses that he himself (or either one of the parents did it) , then thats a different story...

Mm, it would seem I should not have made it so "black and white." I've kinda shot myself in the foot here.

When I say I would accept the confession, I am assuming the confessor is providing a plausible scenario of how it all went down that would explain everything.

You just said the magic words, Evan's Mom. By that I mean I have YET to find a single case, confession or not, where everything can be accounted for. That was my whole point: to my way of thinking, a confession from an R would obviate the need to explain everything.

Let me elaborate further: to hear the Rs tell it, there was a double standard in the investigation. Well, there was, but not the way they mean it! The double standard comes from the fact that we KNOW that the Rs were in the house that night, whereas you have to establish a nexus of evidence to show that someone else was. (HOTYH actually helped me emphasize that in his "owner of the DNA" thread...not that he meant to, of course.) For that reason, a confession by the Rs automatically requires less explanation than that of an intruder. An intruder WOULD have to account for literally everything, but an R would NOT. Like it or not, that's just how it is.

I sure would.

voynich said:
so would I.

WOW. Just when I figured I had you two guys pegged, you throw a curveball my way.

But if the DNA is linked to a pedophile serial killer?

Well, I've certainly made it clear that I find that decidedly unlikely. But, since you were a good sport, I'll return the favor and say that we would have a big problem! (That assumes that we had both a confession and a DNA link. If that's not what you meant, please say so.)

WOW. Just when I figured I had you two guys pegged, you throw a curveball my way.

Well, I've certainly made it clear that I find that decidedly unlikely. But, since you were a good sport, I'll return the favor and say that we would have a big problem! (That assumes that we had both a confession and a DNA link. If that's not what you meant, please say so.)

as a rational evidence based JIDI, there's no way the R's would lie about a confession.

If the DNA were to match either Amy's rapist or some other individual with a "rap sheet".

as a rational evidence based JIDI, there's no way the R's would lie about a confession.

You show great wisdom, voynich. I know there are plenty of people who would claim that the confession was somehow coerced.

If the DNA were to match either Amy's rapist or some other individual with a "rap sheet".

Just so I have this, this would be without an R confession, correct?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back