GUILTY CT - Jasper Howard, 20, stabbed to death on UConn campus, 18 Oct 2009

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
Jasper Howard, a 5-foot-9, 174-pound starting cornerback on the UConn football team, died today after an on-campus stabbing.

According to multiple sources, Howard, 20, was reportedly was stabbed near the student union.

Howard is from Miami and attended Miami Edison High School.

State Police major crime unit and UConn police say the stabbing happened just after 12:30 a.m. Sunday on Hillside Road near the center of campus. Police said two people were stabbed and were found near each other on Hillside Road.

The perpetrator of the stabbing is still at large, according to an emergency alert posted on the University's website Sunday morning.

snipped from: http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-stabbing-jasper-howard-1018,0,69181.story

Here's the alert from UConn's website..

Emergency
Criminal Assault Stabbing
Last Updated: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 07:32:01 GMT

In the early morning hours of 10.18.09, a fight and stabbing occurred near Hillside Rd in the center of Storrs campus. The perpetrator is still at large, whereabouts unknown. Police are actively investigating this incident and anyone with information is asked to contact the UConn Police at 860-486-4800.

http://alert.uconn.edu/

Why don't these kids learn to just walk away? As Marilyn Milian would say it's a game of muy most macho! (possible spelling error there.)

At a hastily formed news conference Sunday afternoon, UConn coach Randy Edsall said he had to identify the body. He also said that Howard is about to become a father.

The suspect is still at large.

"We do not believe that he is a danger to the community, and I will point out the fact that this stabbing is subsequent to an altercation that occurred, so I will call this not a random act of violence, said UConn police Major Ron Blicher. "The university does not have an individual just walking around the campus stabbing people."

Snipped from http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-stabbing-jasper-howard-1018,0,69181.story

So sad that he was about to become a dad :(

Former Miami Edison football player dies in University of Connecticut stabbing
BY MANNY NAVARRO AND ANDRE C. FERNANDEZ
mnavarro@MiamiHerald.com

It's the type of early morning phone call no football coach ever wants to receive -- news that one of their guys is gone.

Corey Bell, the director of football operations at the University of Miami, got one of those calls early Sunday morning as news of the stabbing death of University of Connecticut cornerback Jasper Howard began to spread.

Bell, who coached Howard at Miami Edison High, was stunned and saddened to learn of the tragedy.

(snipped)

http://www.miamiherald.com/598/story/1288722.html

Autopsy Report is in
An autopsy shows a University of Connecticut football player was killed by a single stab wound to his abdomen, and the state medical examiner's office has ruled his death a homicide.

The medical examiner's office released its findings Monday.

The killer of University of Connecticut football player Jasper Howard is on the loose, as police pursue active leads, UConn police Major Ronald Blicher told Foxnews.com.

Maj. Blicher called the investigation "multi-faceted' and said he does not expect any announcements to be made on Monday.

He said this is the first homicide at the university in the more than 30 years he has been associated with the school.

Snipped from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568492,00.html

1 Held for Interfering

A Hartford man is being held on a $100,000 bond on charges stemming from a fight outside a dance at the University of Connecticut where a football player was fatally stabbed.

Twenty-one-year old Johnny Hood was charged with interfering with an officer and breach of peace. He was arraigned Monday morning in Rockville Superior Court.

Snipped from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568550,00.html?test=latestnews

That bond amount seems pretty high to me...

I have been watching this on one of the sports channels. This reminds me of a similiar incident that happend at ASU to one of their football players.

This story is REALLY getting to me. It's so, so sad. Seems like he was a good kid, ready to be the first in his family to go to college, he plays football which is a great way to earn your way through school and then this senseless death.

And the other thing that's bugging me, there were plenty of witnesses there, and no arrest of a suspect? Darn kids! Someone needs to do the right thing by this young man and come forward. Such a horrible loss.

This story is REALLY getting to me. It's so, so sad. Seems like he was a good kid, ready to be the first in his family to go to college, he plays football which is a great way to earn your way through school and then this senseless death.

And the other thing that's bugging me, there were plenty of witnesses there, and no arrest of a suspect? Darn kids! Someone needs to do the right thing by this young man and come forward. Such a horrible loss.

I agree, and it's even more sad that he was about to become a father. My heart, thoughts, and prayers truly go out to his family during this time. So heartbreaking. :(

Have you ever seen The First 48, or any of those other real-life crime dramas? On there, it's the SAME way with people not coming forward to police because they're scared. If they get caught cooperating with LE or being a "snitch" and word spreads around their town, they could end up dead themselves. I remember one case where a teen was murdered at a little league football game with over 150 people who CLEARLY saw what happened, and not ONE would come forward. It made me sick. If people want to start cleaning up their neighborhoods, and the crime in them..the first step would be to cooperate with LE.

Man Questioned.

Police have questioned -- but not arrested -- a Bloomfield man about his possible role in the stabbing death of a University of Connecticut football player over the weekend, a Hartford attorney said.

Deron Freeman said he represents a man who was questioned Sunday in connection with the killing of Jasper Howard. He declined to identify his client, but did say he is one of four men UConn police view as "main suspects."

UConn police arrived at the man's home Sunday and asked him to follow them back to Storrs for questioning, Freeman said Monday night. "He voluntarily submitted himself to questioning," the lawyer said.

The man's family contacted Freeman on Sunday because "police were questioning him for quite some time," Freeman said. He contacted police, told them he represented the man and told them to stop questioning him.

He said he believes that his client will be arrested. UConn police said they "had evidence connecting my client to the stabbing," Freeman said. "They said they had an eyewitness."

Freeman said his client was not involved in the stabbing or any altercation.

Snipped from http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...hc-uconn-stabbing-howard-case,0,7540291.story

UConn Police Seeking Photos

University of Connecticut police are asking the public to share any photos or videos taking during a Saturday night dance that ended in a melee that claimed the life of UConn football player Jasper Howard.

"We are requesting that all images, photos, and video taken both inside and outside of the Student Union on the night of the stabbing incident be submitted to investigators for review," wrote Maj. Ronald Blicher of the UConn Police Department in an email to students Monday night.

"This can include images that you took, or that someone else has given to you. Remember that no image is insignificant," he wrote.

Snipped from http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...rd-uconn-stabbing-police-1020,0,6673761.story

Vigil Held Tonight

On a night when the UConn community held a candlelight vigil for slain football player Jasper Howard, a player honored his coach.

Junior linebacker Kijuan Dabney, a close friend of Howard, spoke to the 1,000 or so mourners at the Student Union Mall Wednesday night. He thanked students, urged them to move on, then pulled a UConn letterman's jacket from a duffel bag and presented it to coach Randy Edsall.

The jacket, signed by members of the football team along with some students and faculty members, featured a picture of Edsall with his arm around Howard.

"He's been under a lot of pressure," Dabney said. "He lost a son."

The sound of tears was audible in the crowd. Edsall and Dabney embraced, the coach donned the jacket, told his players he loved them and asked everyone in the crowd to hug someone.

"Just turn around and hug somebody next to you and just tell them you love them and make sure you tell somebody you love them every day," Edsall said, wiping away tears.

The crowd complied. It was that kind of gathering — people cried and prayed while speakers talked about Howard's laugh and zest for life.

Snipped from http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/jasper-howard/hc-vigil1022.artoct22,0,6551491.story

Link also as a timeline of Jaspers murder.

:rose: So sad. Praying for Jaspers family.

Attorney General Says Selling Jasper T-Shirts is Illegal

State Attorney General Richard Blumenthal has demanded that a Pennsylvania-based T- shirt seller stop selling T-shirts and other merchandise that memorializes slain UConn football player Jasper Howard.

Gamedaytease.com says on its website that all proceeds from the sales of Jasper Howard memorial T-shirts and towels will benefit Howard's unborn child. The website is also soliciting donations on behalf of Howard's unborn child.

Blumenthal said Friday that gamedaytease.com is violating state law and copyright laws and has failed to show that it has permission or authorization to collect money on behalf of Howard's family or the University of Connecticut.

"I am demanding that Gamedaytease.com immediately cease selling Jasper Howard merchandise in violation of state charity and copyright laws," Blumenthal said in a statement released by his office.

"Any attempt to exploit Howard's tragic death is despicable and unconscionable. I will fight anyone seeking to exploit Howard's heart rending tragedy, as well as pursue civil penalties and forfeitures."

Snipped from http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...enthal-howard-shirts-102oct24,0,6038099.story

Police says witnesses to UConn killing are being threatened online

University of Connecticut police say witnesses to the killing of football player Jasper Howard are being threatened with violence if they come forward with evidence.

Maj. Ronald Blicher tells the student newspaper, The Daily Campus, that the threats are being made in Internet postings and police are looking into them. He says authorities are still urging people to submit videos, photos or other information.

Snipped from http://www.courant.com/news/breakin...n-football-online-threats-102,0,7153850.story

Man I thought they'd have this wrapped up by now, with cell phone cameras, etc. and possible campus video from security cameras.

How sad.

Hope they find out where the threats are coming from...clue, hello!

There's a good chance they may be able to track down the computer it's coming from, at least I hope so.

That's what I was hoping as well. I think it's multiple people though, personally. You see this type of thing frequently (people threatening if others "snitch" and go to cops) and it's sad, quite frankly.

Police Search Lake

The state police dive team was searching Swan Lake near the entrance to the University of Connecticut campus on Saturday.

A diver was videotaped in the water as officers were assisting from the shore in Storrs, and a second diver was searching on the other side of the shallow lake.

Police would not say if they were searching for a knife in the case of the murder of UConn football cornerback Jasper Howard, who was stabbed during an on-campus fight last weekend and died Sunday. State police officials at the scene said they could not comment.

Snipped from http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-search-lake-jasper-howard-sl,0,5399661.story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phernandez22
Back