NH NH - Dorothy Bois, 22, Nashua, 3 Oct 1973

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://news.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view.bg?articleid=1039943

October 23, 2007

Authorities are taking a second look at a decades-old missing person’s case.

The attorney general’s office and Nashua police said Monday they have reopened the investigation into a woman who vanished 34 years ago. Dorothy Ann Bois was 22 years old when she was reported missing in Oct. 4, 1973. Though no one has heard from her in the years since she vanished, Bois was never legally declared dead and was listed as a survivor in court records when her mother died in 1995.

A month before she disappeared, Bois’ husband, Kenneth Bois, had filed for divorce against her, citing irreconcilable differences, according to court records.

Police initially said they had no reason to suspect foul play. Now, authorities have reopened the investigation and searched Bois’ husband’s property and his parents’ house.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071103/NEWS01/311030091/-1/news

November 3, 2007

More than two years after Dorothy Bois of Nashua vanished, her father died in a fire at the family's home in Merrimack.

Rumors of foul play surrounded Bois' disappearance in 1973, and the fire on March 8, 1975, added more grist for the mill.

Investigators didn't show any sign of suspicion at the time, regarding either Bois' disappearance or the fire. Police have since reopened an investigation into Bois' disappearance, but the fatal fire remains a closed case.

much more at link

Dorothy Ann Bois
Missing since October 4, 1973 from Nashua, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'10"; 100 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; hazel eyes. Slim build.
AKA: Dot Greene.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Bois was reported missing to the Nashua Police Department in the early morning hours of October 4, 1973. She was living at 100 Kinsley Street, first floor, with her husband when she was last seen. The husband said that he and Dorothy had been watching TV the previous evening; that he fell asleep around 23.30, and when he awoke she was gone.

A month before she disappeared, Bois' husband had filed for divorce against her, citing irreconcilable differences. The couple had married in 1971 and had a daughter. She was 2 years old when her mother vanished. Dorothy Bois also had a son by a previous relationship who was raised by her mother.

The court later agreed to treat the Bois' case as an uncontested divorce in light of Dorothy Bois' disappearance, and the divorce was granted January 29, 1974.

In 2007, the Nashua Police Department reopened and continued the investigation into Dorothy’s disappearance, and that investigation led the Nashua Police to obtain search warrants for two properties in Nashua, New Hampshire. Those properties are on Main Dunstable Road and on Woodbury Drive. The Nashua Police Department completed searches of those properties in October 2007.

Bois was never legally declared dead and was listed as a survivor in court records when her mother died in 1995.

Dorothy's mother said that her daughter took no personal belongings with her. She also said she feared that her daughter was the victim of foul play, and she was confident that if Dorothy left on her own she surely would have contacted someone in her family soon afterward.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Lt. George McCarthy
Nashua Police Department
603-594-3553

Source Information:

Nashua Police Department
The Doe Network: Case File 1238DFNH

link:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1238dfnh.html

Bump

Next month will mark 37 years since Dorothy went missing. Come home soon.

It has now been 40 years since Dorothy was reported missing.

I always assume the someone on either end of the height spectrum would be quicker to id, assuming there was a body found. I'm wondering if her body may have been assumed to be younger.

Dorothy has been missing for 42 years now.

Charley Project

bois_dorothy.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
• Missing Since: October 3, 1973 from Nashua, New Hampshire
• Classification: Endangered Missing
• Height and Weight: 4'10, 100 pounds
• Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Light brown hair, hazel eyes. Dorothy's nickname is Dot. Her maiden name is Greene.

Details of Disappearance
Dorothy was last seen at her home in Nashua, New Hampshire on October 3, 1973. At the time of her disappearance, she lived in the 100 block of Kinsley Street with her husband of two years, Kenneth N. Bois, and their daughter. Kenneth said they were watching television that evening and he fell up at 11:30 p.m. When he woke up, Dorothy was gone. He reported her missing at 4:13 a.m. the next day. She has never been heard from again.

Dorothy left behind all her belongings, except her pocketbook and a white flowered beaded change purse. Her mother stated she would have contacted her family if she'd left on her own, but none of her relatives have heard from her since 1973. Dorothy was reportedly under great stress at the time of her disappearance due to health problems with her child. She told her mother she was afraid for her life. Kenneth had filed for divorce the month before she vanished, citing irreconcilable differences. The divorce was granted after Dorothy's disappearance and he remarried in 1974. He is now divorced from his second wife.

Dorothy dropped out of high school in her sophomore year after she became pregnant. Her son was living with her mother when Dorothy disappeared. Police reopened the investigation into her disappearance in 2007. Her parents are deceased and the whereabouts of her son are unknown. Foul play is suspected in her case, which remains unsolved

I know. I'm hoping that having a possible matches spur them into getting DNA or dentals.

Lori wrote me back and let me know that she was conclusively ruled out as being that uid.

I saw that there were health issues with her son before she disappeared. Does anyone know what they were? Also, does anyone know if there was potentially someone else she was seeing?

Dorothy Ann Bois – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Dorothy Ann Bois
  • dorothy_ann_bois_1.jpg
  • dorothy_ann_bois_2.jpg
  • dorothy_ann_bois_3.jpg
  • dorothy_ann_bois_4.jpg
Dorothy, circa 1973

• Missing Since10/03/1973
  • Missing FromNashua, New Hampshire
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Age22 years old
  • Height and Weight4'10, 100 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionAn orange body suit, blue jeans with a band of red and brown paisley print pattern around the knees, and brown clogs.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Light brown hair, hazel eyes. Dorothy's nickname is Dot. Her maiden name is Greene. She has a linear scar on her abdomen.
Details of Disappearance
Dorothy was last seen at her home in Nashua, New Hampshire on October 3, 1973. At the time of her disappearance, she lived in the 100 block of Kinsley Street with her husband of two years, Kenneth N. Bois, and their daughter. Kenneth said they were watching television that evening and he fell up at 11:30 p.m. When he woke up, Dorothy was gone. He reported her missing at 4:13 a.m. the next day. She has never been heard from again.

Dorothy left behind all her belongings, except her pocketbook and a white flowered beaded change purse. Her mother stated she would have contacted her family if she'd left on her own, but none of her relatives have heard from her since 1973.

Dorothy was reportedly under great stress at the time of her disappearance due to health problems with her child. She told her mother she was afraid for her life. Kenneth had filed for divorce the month before she vanished, citing irreconcilable differences. The divorce was granted after Dorothy's disappearance and he remarried in 1974. He is now divorced from his second wife.

Dorothy dropped out of high school in her sophomore year after she became pregnant. Her son was living with her mother when Dorothy disappeared. Police reopened the investigation into her disappearance in 2007. Her parents are deceased and the whereabouts of her son are unknown. Foul play is suspected in her case, which remains unsolved.

another-photo-of-dorothy-bois-jpg.109268
1486UFNH1_LARGE.jpg
Original

Original

I'm not convinced that this is a match but I am curious given the dates (MP 10/1973 and UID 04/1974) and locations (about 1 hour apart). Their physical descriptions are not closely matched but they aren't extremely far off either (IMO). Does anyone know if these two cases have been compared? Also, is there any way to find out if any of the clothes the UID was wearing belonged to Dorothy or anyone else she knew? The UID's clothing description doesn't match what was described by Mr. Bois when he reported what Dorothy was wearing when she went missing.

What are your thoughts on a submission as a potential match? TIA!

Dorothy's NamUs profile - The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

UID's NamUs profile - The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The Doe Network profile -
1486UFNH

Profile copied from The Doe Network but I added portions of the NamUs profile if the details differed. Dorothy's info is bolded blue. I have a gut feeling her physical description and the description of her clothing may not have been reported correctly. She was reported missing by her then soon-to-be ex-husband whose property, along with his parent's house was searched. Perhaps that's standard procedure in NH's MP cases but combined with the divorce something smells fishy to me.

Date of Discovery: April 16, 1974. October 3, 1973
Location of Discovery: Marlborough, Cheshire County, New Hampshire Nashua, New Hampshire
Estimated Date of Death: Months prior (Accord to NamUs
Estimated Year of Death 1973-1974 Estimated PMI 12 Months)

State of Remains: Skeletal. Cause of Death: Unknown
NamUs shows - Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

Estimated Age: 19-30 years old Missing Age 22 Years

Race: Unknown
Sex: Female
Height: 5'3" ( Estimated accord. to NamUs) 4' 10" - 5' 0" (58 - 60 Inches)
Weight: Unknown 100lbs.
Hair: Dark to reddish-brown. 12-15 inches long. Brown (light brown)
Eye Color: Unknown Hazel
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Clothing: Light brown Matt Andrews Sportswear corduroy coat with fleece lining; blue and gray knit warm-up jacket with zipper with insulated lining and hood; Off-white Carter shorts with notation reading ""Issued by authority of United Garment Workers of America #9095490," Dufold insulated work shirt with blue and green flower print; white Dufold long underwear trousers with similar design, size 18; blue panties with elastic band and red decorative sewing on sides; one blue striped sock; one gray sock; brown work shoe with crepe sole, size 6-7, low cut.
Last seen wearing an orange body suit, blue jeans with red and brown paisley print bands around both knees.

Footwear Brown clogs

Jewelry: Silver ring with missing stone.
Additional Personal Items: Plastic Johnson's dental floss dispenser, Lipsaver chapstick, Salem cigarettes.

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent's remains were discovered off of Route 124 in Marlborough, New Hampshire on April 16, 1974.

And NamUs profile reads
Circumstances of Recovery
On 4/16/74, the badly decomposed remains of a female were found off of Rte. 124 in Marlborough, NH. It is believed that the deceased had been at the location since late 1973.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Dorothy was reported missing to the Nashua Police Department in the early morning hours of October 4, 1973 by her husband. Her husband said that he and Dorothy had been watching TV the previous evening; that he fell asleep around 11:30PM; and when he awoke Dorothy was gone

Afaik, the NH State Police have compared Dorothy to that UID. I sent in the possible match to Namus back when Dorothy was added into Namus. I think I read that she was ruled out, but I'll have to find notes on it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back