853 users online (132 members and 721 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

jaycee private school/garridos letters to mom

as postedi in the news section.......
    is it a private school tutor or both? im kinda confused.
    Last edited by kbl8201; 10-19-2009 at 02:46 PM.

It sounds like a private tutor to prepare for one day attending college. I doubt she'd be ready for a full on college immersion right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMangler View Post
    It sounds like a private tutor to prepare for one day attending college. I doubt she'd be ready for a full on college immersion right off the bat.
    thanks thats what i think too.
    i really think she can go far in whatever she chooses to do though

thanks thats what i think too.
    i really think she can go far in whatever she chooses to do though

No kidding. You know, normally I'm pretty hardened when it comes to reading about true crime cases. I've read so many books and studied so many cases over the years, that I'm pretty much unaffected by anything. But when I read that Jaycee's daughters not only tested at their appropriate grade level, but actually tested a few years above their grade level (high school senior), that's enough to bring a tear to anyone's eye. Good lord. So Jaycee (with a 5th grade education tops) was actually able to educate these two kids... under these circumstances... to the point where they would actually place into advanced classes? Tell me that isn't heartwarming. You talk about survival under adverse conditions.

There is so much ugliness in this case, but at the same time also so much genuine triumph as well. I hope people on Websleuths aren't overlooking that. Some exceptional people (like Jaycee and the Cal-Berkeley cops) wound up doing some exceptional things. It's amazing. I have never seen a case like this in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMangler View Post
    No kidding. You know, normally I'm pretty hardened when it comes to reading about true crime cases. I've read so many books and studied so many cases over the years, that I'm pretty much unaffected by anything. But when I read that Jaycee's daughters not only tested at their appropriate grade level, but actually tested a few years above their grade level (high school senior), that's enough to bring a tear to anyone's eye. Good lord. So Jaycee (with a 5th grade education tops) was actually able to educate these two kids... under these circumstances... to the point where they would actually place into advanced classes? Tell me that isn't heartwarming. You talk about survival under adverse conditions.

There is so much ugliness in this case, but at the same time also so much genuine triumph as well. I hope people on Websleuths aren't overlooking that. Some exceptional people (like Jaycee and the Cal-Berkeley cops) wound up doing some exceptional things. It's amazing. I have never seen a case like this in my life.
    like i said we tend to focus on the bad. and snipe at each other.
    the truth is, jaycee is a magnificent young woman who did incredible things for her girls (and herself) under the most horrible circumstances. and she came thru, and they came thru. and i want nothing but the best for all there futures, and that of there mom, sister ect.

Quote Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
    like i said we tend to focus on the bad. and snipe at each other.
    the truth is, jaycee is a magnificent young woman who did incredible things for her girls (and herself) under the most horrible circumstances. and she came thru, and they came thru. and i want nothing but the best for all there futures, and that of there mom, sister ect.
    i also wonder how high jaycee's iq is if she could teach them that well?

Jaycee is a constant source of amazement! She is beautiful both on the inside and the outside!! How wonderful that her daughters will not face the daunting task of trying to catch up scholastically.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnieRN View Post
    Jaycee is a constant source of amazement! She is beautiful both on the inside and the outside!! How wonderful that her daughters will not face the daunting task of trying to catch up scholastically.
    exactly.

I had figured the girls were up to their age level in reading comprehension, but the People article said they are up to their levels in all areas. Amazing. I don't know how in the world she would have been able to teach the math up to grade 9-10, but she must have.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    I had figured the girls were up to their age level in reading comprehension, but the People article said they are up to their levels in all areas. Amazing. I don't know how in the world she would have been able to teach the math up to grade 9-10, but she must have.

this is why i wonder what jaycee's iq is

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    I used to teach high school math and science, and I find that very difficult to believe. Most kids who actually have had an education struggle with those subjects, I think it's pushing it to believe that someone with no guidance and no resources has somehow been able to keep on par. Not without at least a curriculum and proper teaching materials to guide them, and there was no sign of anything like that in the house or backyard. Teaching someone something is the most powerfull method of learning yourself (since you have to comprehend the subject matter yourself before you can explain it), but if there was that sort of educational activity going on I would have expected textbooks and other educational material to be littered all over the backyard, and there was nothing at all. In fact there was not much sign of any written materials other than a few notebooks. Reading comprehension, they could get that by practice if they had nothing else to do but read (and there were a fair number of novel style books around), but not other subjects (unless standards in the US are way lower than other countrys), and definitely not more abstract things like math or essay construction (the sorts of things where you have to organize and output information instead of inputting it).

I think perhaps that whoever the People article was citing was being generous and optimistic more than anything else.
    Last edited by Natal; 10-20-2009 at 04:50 AM.

Phillip C. Knight Institute maybe?
    OK bad joke. Sorry for my dry English humour.

I've been wondering how these reports come out. I've stated in another thread how I was appalled when this started and it was UK journalists who were offering cash for interviews/exclusives. After Manuel G. saw $ bills he wouldn't talk to anybody else. I think that was the Mirror originally so maybe they're still in touch with him and he knows that PG is writing to Patricia G. The thing is he might of said more if cash was kept out of proceedings.
    As for how the Times learned what they did I don't know. I seem to remember the first photos of the backyard were taken by Nick Kent from UK. He's freelance but the Times was one of the first to have them.
    The Mirror is a tabloid but the Times isn't although it might as well be. I can't seem to tell the difference anymore.
    Short of kicking all foreign journos out of the country I don't know how it could be stopped.
    Last edited by JakeTucker; 10-20-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natal View Post
    I used to teach high school math and science, and I find that very difficult to believe. Most kids who actually have had an education struggle with those subjects, I think it's pushing it to believe that someone with no guidance and no resources has somehow been able to keep on par. Not without at least a curriculum and proper teaching materials to guide them, and there was no sign of anything like that in the house or backyard. Teaching someone something is the most powerfull method of learning yourself (since you have to comprehend the subject matter yourself before you can explain it), but if there was that sort of educational activity going on I would have expected textbooks and other educational material to be littered all over the backyard, and there was nothing at all. In fact there was not much sign of any written materials other than a few notebooks. Reading comprehension, they could get that by practice if they had nothing else to do but read (and there were a fair number of novel style books around), but not other subjects (unless standards in the US are way lower than other countrys), and definitely not more abstract things like math or essay construction (the sorts of things where you have to organize and output information instead of inputting it).

I think perhaps that whoever the People article was citing was being generous and optimistic more than anything else.
    ME TOO...I do not believe it at all...never have.
    Your words NATAL: "I think it's pushing it to believe that someone with no guidance and no resources has somehow been able to keep on par"

It is only possible in my mind eye for her to have taught them to read and write and do some math...
    most likely up to her level of education which at the age of 11 would be about 5th grade.
    Her little one is about that age now....but her 15 year old being up to speed is not something I ever believed.
    Up to level of their grade??? NOP....No way, no how....Especially not under those circumstances.
    I personally believe it has been embellished. For many reasons that I can see in my minds eye.
    Last edited by songline; 10-20-2009 at 10:51 AM.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.

Several pictures showed what look like boxes of notebooks and textbooks - it's quite probable that PG used his Phillip C. Knight institution to procure home schooling materials. It is also likely that, once her older daughter reached the fifth grade, education became more important to JC, as this was her opportunity to catch up, by tutoring her daughters.

It's still controversial, and I certainly don't want to suggest that PG is anything less than a monster. But it takes a special kind of love for JC to be able to convince her captor to do right by her kids. Maybe in some things she didn't win the battle, but it looks like in many things, like getting enough educational and reading materials, she did.

Quote Originally Posted by smgtheophilus View Post
    Several pictures showed what look like boxes of notebooks and textbooks - it's quite probable that PG used his Phillip C. Knight institution to procure home schooling materials. It is also likely that, once her older daughter reached the fifth grade, education became more important to JC, as this was her opportunity to catch up, by tutoring her daughters.

It's still controversial, and I certainly don't want to suggest that PG is anything less than a monster. But it takes a special kind of love for JC to be able to convince her captor to do right by her kids. Maybe in some things she didn't win the battle, but it looks like in many things, like getting enough educational and reading materials, she did.
    I respect your theory, but I do not believe it at all.
    I have done some teaching in my day too...And no way will I buy that one. Not one text book did we see, not one.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast