Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

NV - Black Rock Desert, WhtFem 387UFNV, 25-50, "Valerie" Engraved on Bracelet, May'91

Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-22-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: merge duplicate threads add detail to thread title

Nevada investigators are hoping a forensic sketch will help identify skeletal remains found more than a decade ago in the Black Rock Desert.

The remains of the white woman were found in a shallow grave on May 25th, 1991. Also found at the site were a bracelet engraved with the name Valerie and a second, yellow bracelet in the shape of a sea serpent with abalone shell inlay.

A medical examiner determined she died of one or more gunshot wounds to the head. Anthropologists estimate she could have been in her mid 20s or possibly even in her 50s when she died.

A forensic artist with the Oakland County Sheriff's Office in Michigan recently completed a sketch of what the woman may have looked like.

Link to drawing
    http://dps.nv.gov/ValerieDoe.htm

NV - Black Rock Desert - White Female 387UFNV, 25-50, May 1991 -bracelet w/ "Valerie"

Last edited by Cubby; 05-07-2010 at 10:50 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rccook555 For This Useful Post:

OMG.

That's absolutely eerie and I cannot believe both ended up on Doe without someone on the Doe staff or LE not picking it up. I think you've found a match. Have you called it in? Please do.

rccook, I absolutely think you are right about this, looks like a match to me too.

I have never called one in before. Not sure how to do it. If someone else would like to or walk me through it would really appriciate it!

That looks like a match to me! Good sleuthing!

Rccook, I would call this in as a possible match and let authorities try to determine if Valerie is this Princess Doe. Thank you for trying to help identify the missing.

The Nevada Department of Public Safety has an email contact. We don't know if it is still a good contact, but I would start there. I would briefly describe that you might have found a match and provide the info and links from both pages as you did here. I would be more than happy to help you or make any phone calls if that becomes necessary (i.e. if the email contact is no longer good). Please PM me if you have questions or need help.

Interesting that the missing Valerie's race is listed as unknown. Perhaps she was adopted or had no family to be able to give an idea of what her race might be. She looks Caucasian to me, but I wouldn't know if she had a mixed race or Hispanic ancestry by her picture for sure.

This might be a tough match to make. The missing Valerie has no dentals. And, if they don't have a family member to give mitochondrial DNA then a match may be hard to make. I am concerned because the missing Valerie's race is listed as unknown so there may be no maternal relatives from which to get a sample of mitochondrial DNA. The Princess Doe (Princess Valerie if it is okay with all to call her that) does have mitochondrial DNA available for comparison, and I hope that there is someone in the missing Valerie's family to offer mitochondrial DNA.

No matter I would turn it in and hope that if Princess Valerie is Valerie that they can ultimately determine that.

ETA: Princess Valerie had two pieces of distinctive jewelry. Perhaps if the authorities believe this may me a match that the jewelry may help to identify Princess Valerie.
    Last edited by LionRun; 05-18-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: To add something

This has already been submitted several times on other boards.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Meyahna For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Meyahna View Post
    Any idea on the end result?

Salem

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:

The best way to find out is to contact the Doe Network first- they have their own database on what has been compared/tested and what has not and the results. They will use their personal contacts with LE to initiate it.

if there is a match, it also ensures that the DN gets some sort of credit- which they also deserve.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to audrey77 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Meyahna
    Thank you, Meyahna.

Quote Originally Posted by audrey77
    The best way to find out is to contact the Doe Network first- they have their own database on what has been compared/tested and what has not and the results. They will use their personal contacts with LE to initiate it.

if there is a match, it also ensures that the DN gets some sort of credit- which they also deserve.
    Thank you audrey. I am grateful for The Doe Network, btw. I once worked with a very helpful volunteer there on a missing person's page to update/correct it. She was wonderful! A number of matches have been made as a result of that organization and their site. Kudos to them!

This has been submitted years ago so I'd think it wasn't a match.

Prior to discussion about the possibility that Valerie Larkin and Princess Valerie may have been already been submitted as a potential match rccook555 submitted this via email posted at

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/387ufnv.html

This was the reply that rccook received.

Thank you for the response. We have looked at Ms. Larkin as a possible match in the past and as of today, we have not been able to either confirm or eliminated Ms. Larkin as a match. As a side note, Ms. Larkin came to our attention from another response we had received from our doenetwork.com listing.
    It was my concern that because Valerie Larkin had no dentals and especially that her race was listed as unknown that it may also be that they may not have available mitochondrial DNA available to compare with the mitochondrial DNA obtained from Princess Valerie. This is only speculation on my part, however.

It is frustrating for all when a match has not been able to be made or ruled out when similarities may exist between a missing person and unidentified remains.

Incidentally, I found this thread on Valerie Larkin in case anyone is interested in reading. The cases may not be related--yet we do not know at this time.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Larkin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast