Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 641

Thread: FL-Somer Renee Thompson, 7, Orange Park

  1. #276
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Swamp
    Posts
    2,419
    I sure hope no kids are walking home today...that's for sure. Ridiculous that any SMALL children should be walking in the first place. It's terrible... a 7 yr old child cannot defend themselves.

  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CajunGirl For This Useful Post:


  3. #277
    justbeachy's Avatar
    justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    If u live within a mile of the school u walk here in florida. unless its changed.
    The rule here in Orlando (Seminole County) is that if you live within 2 miles, there is no bus service. There is an elementary school within 2 miles of my house and every day there are children walking (or biking) to/from school. Not only that, but we live in a gated community and they mark the 2 mile radius starting at the front gate. Once inside the gate, some of these children live an additional mile or more away! I regularly see kindergarteners walking to and from school. Even in the rain.

    I am blessed to be able to stay home with my children so I can drive them. My kids go to a different school or I would drive as many kids as would fit in my car!

  4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to justbeachy For This Useful Post:


  5. #278
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Swamp
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by justbeachy View Post
    The rule here in Orlando (Seminole County) is that if you live within 2 miles, there is no bus service. There is an elementary school within 2 miles of my house and every day there are children walking (or biking) to/from school. Not only that, but we live in a gated community and they mark the 2 mile radius starting at the front gate. Once inside the gate, some of these children live an additional mile or more away! I regularly see kindergarteners walking to and from school. Even in the rain.

    I am blessed to be able to stay home with my children so I can drive them. My kids go to a different school or I would drive as many kids as would fit in my car!
    bbm... that makes me sick! It seriously makes me angry to know that these little kids have to fend for themselves for sometimes up to 2 miles or more. I don't care if they walk in groups... it's like a big present to a sex offender regardless of the amount of kids... he/she would snatch them all if they felt the urge & could get away with it. Which is exactly what I think happened here.

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CajunGirl For This Useful Post:


  7. #279
    Well, I was so hoping I would wake this morning & see this child had been found. I think we all know she isnt hiding. No child would hide that long. They get cold, gotta pee, get hungry. Like so many other cases, this is not looking good.

  8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to LeLe1953 For This Useful Post:


  9. #280
    Kimberlyd125's Avatar
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,575
    Good morning y'all.

    I had such high hopes that I would log on this morning and she would have been found. It hurts my heart that she is still missing.
    When I heard she had run off before I was like, ok, so this may not be that bad. But, it's been too long.
    Everybody, please say a quick prayer for her. She needs it.

  10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:


  11. #281
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY/Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,493
    As Clay County deputies continue a massive search for missing 7-year-old Somer Renee Thompson this morning, the mother of a girl who was nearly snatched 10 days ago in the same area said she is frightened for Somer.

    Sheriff Rick Beseler said it is unclear whether there is a connection between the abduction attempt of the 5-year-old girl and the Somer's disappearance, but he asked that anyone who had any information concerning that incident to contact police.


    http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2...h_for_missing_

  12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:


  13. #282
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,379
    Update on search - two amber alerts issued...calling her endangered...the emergency alert system has gone out at 8:51 this morning
    "No job too large; I'll get to the bottom of it!"
    -It's wawa...CHEE-wawa

  14. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Cheewawa007 For This Useful Post:


  15. #283
    jnTexas's Avatar
    jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Splendora, Texas
    Posts
    3,408
    http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/a...1963&catid=57#
    Missing Florida 7-Year-Old Has Ties To Alamance County


    Sheriff Rick Beseler says this is the longest a kid has been missing in Clay County in 22 years. The Clay County Sheriff's Office says it is asking for information about a blue sedan seen in the neighborhood 10 days ago. Authorirties say the occupants, two men and a woman, tried to lure a young girl into the car.

    Sheriff Beseler would not elaborate any further, except the incident happened within a block of where Somer was last seen Monday afternoon.

    She was with her brother and friends, but separated from them, running ahead towards her home.

    The sheriff says they have checked with immediate family members, including the girl's father, who lives in Graham, North Carolina.

  16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jnTexas For This Useful Post:


  17. #284
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by justbeachy View Post
    The rule here in Orlando (Seminole County) is that if you live within 2 miles, there is no bus service. There is an elementary school within 2 miles of my house and every day there are children walking (or biking) to/from school. Not only that, but we live in a gated community and they mark the 2 mile radius starting at the front gate. Once inside the gate, some of these children live an additional mile or more away! I regularly see kindergarteners walking to and from school. Even in the rain.

    I am blessed to be able to stay home with my children so I can drive them. My kids go to a different school or I would drive as many kids as would fit in my car!
    I'm not sure about Clay County, but Duval County School Board stopped bus service within a two mile radius this year in an effort to save money. I realize kids need exercise, etc... but two miles is a long way for little ones to walk in my opinion. Seems they could have cut the superintendent's handsome salary instead of making children walk to school - especially in the crazy world we live in now.
    "No job too large; I'll get to the bottom of it!"
    -It's wawa...CHEE-wawa


  18. #285
    jnTexas's Avatar
    jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Splendora, Texas
    Posts
    3,408
    It would be nice if they could do a presser and get correct info out there.

    who was she walking with brother or sister? their age?

    Was it a skull backpack or hanna montana?

    was she wearing a jumper or sweatsuit?

    who does she live with mom only? or does mom have a BF?

    I mean seriously all this crappy reporting is not helping in finding this child.

  19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jnTexas For This Useful Post:


  20. #286
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlotte ,North Carolina
    Posts
    2,013
    Just popped in, thought for sure Somer had been found by now, I am sending prayers that she is found safe today!!
    My Beautiful Precious , I miss you so much!

  21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PoppyH For This Useful Post:


  22. #287
    jnTexas's Avatar
    jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Splendora, Texas
    Posts
    3,408
    http://www.ncmec.org/missingkids/servlet/AmberServlet
    Amber alert

    Name: Somer Renee Thompson
    Alias:
    Hair Color: Brn Eye Color: Brn
    Skin Color: Whi Age: 7
    Height: 3'7 Weight: 65
    Gender: Female
    Description: Black shirt under a cranberry colored sweat suit with pink stripes running down arms and legs, possibly has a red bow in hair, white hat and scarf

  23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jnTexas For This Useful Post:


  24. #288
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Swamp
    Posts
    2,419
    I agree. This morning on the firstcoastnews site, I watched the news. They said she was with her twin brother and friends.

    I'm really unsure bout that backpack though... it's not like the 2 are even close to being the same. Unless she has a sister with 1 of the designs & the mom got them confused when reporting it.

    They definitely need to fix the boo boo's in reporting

  25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CajunGirl For This Useful Post:


  26. #289
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,406
    Got her AA a little while ago on my phone. I'm glad it's finally out!!

  27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daisy7 For This Useful Post:


  28. #290
    justbeachy's Avatar
    justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,563
    Have they given out the license plate of that blue sedan?? They have it, don't they? For cryin' out loud....there are probably 30 blue sedans in my neighborhood alone!

  29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justbeachy For This Useful Post:


  30. #291
    justbeachy's Avatar
    justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,563
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
    Got her AA a little while ago on my phone. I'm glad it's finally out!!
    I still haven't gotten one on my phone!

  31. #292
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    6,553
    Okay so a five year old walking home without supervision was almost abducted the week before in the same block, blue car, female passenger talked to the child, two males also in the car. A bystander saw it happen and escorted the child home where a parent was at home (not a mom but 5 seems wildly young to be walking several blocks alone). Bystander apparantly did not get a plate number? And did the police notify the school, who in turn should have notified the parents? I can't find an indication that this happened?

    As far as the lapsed time between last seen and police notification, if reports are true that Somer's parents worked and the kids were coming home to an empty house mom may not have known she didn't make it home until much closer to that 5:00-6:30 time frame the police were reportedly notified. Just a thought.

    I came home to an empty house at that age as mom worked and couldn't afford daycare, but I really didn't think people did that anymore?

  32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to impatientredhead For This Useful Post:


  33. #293
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    6,553
    Quote Originally Posted by justbeachy View Post
    Have they given out the license plate of that blue sedan?? They have it, don't they? For cryin' out loud....there are probably 30 blue sedans in my neighborhood alone!
    I don't think they have a plate or a make on the car. The witness just said blue sedan? If they had more specific info I cannot imagine they would not have released it. Especially with an Amber Alert finally being out. moo

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to impatientredhead For This Useful Post:


  35. #294
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunGirl View Post
    10 days ago... blue Nissan Sentra .... people in this car tried to lure a child into that car... they are not sure if this is connected or not...
    The other woman [who walked the other li'l girl on home and shoo'ed away the peeps in the blue car] sounded pretty upset according to the li'l girl's mother. I'm pretty surprised she didn't get a tag # on the car. Did she call LE that day?

    FWIW - I don't think kids should be walking very far unattended either, but IMO, the PARENTS need to be the ones who make the arrangements for the children to get to and from the school or the bus stop safely, not the schools. Otherwise one could conceivably stretch the school system's responsibilities [and rights] all the way into the home.

    I'm not blaming Somer's mother, btw, because I don't know the whole story. The person to blame is whoever did whatever to Somer.

    jmo

  36. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LFlorida For This Useful Post:


  37. #295
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Swamp
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by impatientredhead View Post
    Okay so a five year old walking home without supervision was almost abducted the week before in the same block, blue car, female passenger talked to the child, two males also in the car. A bystander saw it happen and escorted the child home where a parent was at home (not a mom but 5 seems wildly young to be walking several blocks alone). Bystander apparantly did not get a plate number? And did the police notify the school, who in turn should have notified the parents? I can't find an indication that this happened?

    As far as the lapsed time between last seen and police notification, if reports are true that Somer's parents worked and the kids were coming home to an empty house mom may not have known she didn't make it home until much closer to that 5:00-6:30 time frame the police were reportedly notified. Just a thought.

    I came home to an empty house at that age as mom worked and couldn't afford daycare, but I really didn't think people did that anymore?
    from my understanding, the 5 yr old was riding her bike about 3 blocks from their home when the attempted luring happened. I hope the witness was able to get a plate number but it doesn't seem that way. Maybe she got a description of the people though... She was close enough to witness it to know that the woman was trying her best to get that child in the car.

    As far as Somer's mom being at work or whatnot...I'm not sure on that. Somer was last seen at 245. Police was flagged down at approximately 530 after the mom had been looking for nearly 2 hours for Somer. So... Somer's mom had started looking between 3 and 330 for her... the home may not have been empty.
    Last edited by CajunGirl; 10-20-2009 at 09:55 AM.

  38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CajunGirl For This Useful Post:


  39. #296
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Swamp
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by impatientredhead View Post
    I don't think they have a plate or a make on the car. The witness just said blue sedan? If they had more specific info I cannot imagine they would not have released it. Especially with an Amber Alert finally being out. moo
    The news site said a Blue Nissan Sentra

  40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CajunGirl For This Useful Post:


  41. #297
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Swamp
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by LFlorida View Post
    The other woman [who walked the other li'l girl on home and shoo'ed away the peeps in the blue car] sounded pretty upset according to the li'l girl's mother. I'm pretty surprised she didn't get a tag # on the car. Did she call LE that day?

    FWIW - I don't think kids should be walking very far unattended either, but IMO, the PARENTS need to be the ones who make the arrangements for the children to get to and from the school or the bus stop safely, not the schools. Otherwise one could conceivably stretch the school system's responsibilities [and rights] all the way into the home.

    I'm not blaming Somer's mother, btw, because I don't know the whole story. The person to blame is whoever did whatever to Somer.

    jmo
    According to one of the articles, they went to LE about it and they issued the mother of the 5 yr old a card and told her to keep her child closer to home. Not sure if LE looked for the car or not...dunno if they have a plate # either.

  42. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CajunGirl For This Useful Post:


  43. #298
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there ....
    Posts
    8,437
    I read the news this morning about the attempted abduction earlier in October...WTH!
    and a woman no less helping out.
    I would be under the impression that this is who snatched her up ! Why in the world was there not extra patrol's put in place around this area after this was reported or was it ?
    I really was hoping to wake up this morning and find that she had been found, my heart is breaking.
    I am highly disturbed as well about a woman being in on the mix. This seems to be happening more and more. A woman as my DH put it is like a motherly figure and would be more trusted by a child.
    I hope to god that they find more info out on this car and people it is the only chance she has if this is who took her but I would put money on it these POS's returned to grab some other child.
    Some one has had to have seen this car stalking the area at some point !
    God Speed Somer...I hope we find you today, Prayers to her Mother and family as well!
    Last edited by mysticrose; 10-20-2009 at 09:59 AM.
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

  44. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:


  45. #299
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    6,553
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunGirl View Post
    The news site said a Blue Nissan Sentra
    Google news has it as a Blue Nissan SUV now.
    One article says the previous attempt was a 5 year riding her bike around the neighborhood, the next says the 5 year old is friends with Somer and walked home from school with her and implies the abduction attempt occured during an after school walk home. Gotta love the initial conflicting and morphing reports.

  46. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to impatientredhead For This Useful Post:


  47. #300
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,904
    This little girl was the first thing I thought of when I woke up. Normally I would have rolled over and gone back to sleep, as it is still early for me, but I just had to come on to check.

    I was hoping for some good news... that she has been found, and was now safe, at home.
    .... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.

  48. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smart blonde For This Useful Post:


Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 09:28 AM
  2. Found Deceased FL - AMBER ALERT: Somer Renee Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009
    By FairNBalanced in forum Located! Information and Support
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 04:06 AM
  3. FL-Somer Renee Thompson, 7, Orange Park THREAD #2
    By hoppyfrog in forum Somer Renee Thompson
    Replies: 614
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 05:20 PM
  4. Somer Thompson missing from N FL...
    By lillygator in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 12:49 PM
  5. Found Deceased OR - Alex Thompson, 19, Smith Rock State Park, 18 April 2009 - Presumed Drowned
    By hoppyfrog in forum Located! Information and Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 07:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •